Does Brayshaw play round 1?

Wrecker45

Yes,absolutely,certainly etc. etc. Of course he plays.

He showerd more than Jimmy Toumpas has in 2 seasons.

Deestroy all - you are obviously kidding re Jonesy.

Nathan Jones robbed him of two possessions after he played on from frees Beayshaw earnt. Drop Jones.

What a difference it makes for kids coming into a team that plays well, do your thing, lay some tackles, get involved...

Usually it's get subbed on when we're getting smashed and chase a possession amongst the chaos, or get built up as the messiah and crumble under the pressure.

But he was clearly ready, I'd go as far as to say he was harder at it than all 22 Gold Coast players.

In addition to being ready, I think it probably helped that he quietly slipped in to the team almost unnoticed, then was just one of many contributing midfielders, so the pressure on him was almost non-existent. This is how the good teams bring their young guns in to their sides, so it was good to see.

Have to say I was surprised to see how well he matched it physically when he's clearly got a lot of work to do on his physique. The guy is going to be a tank when he is 22.

• Like 6

Have to say I was surprised to see how well he matched it physically when he's clearly got a lot of work to do on his physique. The guy is going to be a tank when he is 22.

Great observation. It was like your eyes were deceiving you watching this kid half the size of his opponent wrap them up in a bear hug and not allow them to move.

Oozes class and smarts. He looks to me like an upgraded version of Cotchin.

Cotchin 2.0, with all the bugs removed.

• Like 1

In addition to being ready, I think it probably helped that he quietly slipped in to the team almost unnoticed, then was just one of many contributing midfielders, so the pressure on him was almost non-existent. This is how the good teams bring their young guns in to their sides, so it was good to see.

I've said many times that development comes from having good players around you, this clearly the case which allowed young Brayshaw to do some really good things in his debut.

• Like 1

Suprised he only had the 9 touches. Felt like he was always in the action. However, 9 tackles is unbelievable on debut. Anyone aware of the record amount of tackles on debut is?

I think the real question that needs to be asked is, where has Curry & Beer gone?

I'd cut him/her some slack. We all make predictions that bite us on the backside.

I'm aware you're after a bit of humble pie, which is reasonable, but we all roll differently. They might still be celebrating.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

He was hardly dominant, with 9 touches, several of which were ineffective - but did some awesome things, particularly that mark around our 50, and a couple of those flattening/blanketing tackles that won frees, wow

BUT he was obviously ready both physically and mentally so I was wrong about that. The call at selection was correct as it wasn't a gift selection to satiate the fans. Theoretically, MJones or the like would have had more touches but probably had less influence on the game due to their overall lack of quality.

I can't remember the last time one of our debutants had such a physical presence, he is in no way a kid. Funny thing is that I thought Petracca looked even more solid in this regard over preseason training - so I guess in exactly one year's time we can expect a similar start from him.

I was also wrong about my expectation that we would come out and fluff all our kicks, spill marks, drop our heads for long periods and play without heart, to go down by about 5 goals

It was a different side for some glorious reason, and I was gloriously wrong.

• Like 9

He was hardly dominant, with 9 touches, several of which were ineffective - but did some awesome things, particularly that mark around our 50, and a couple of those flattening/blanketing tackles that won frees, wow

BUT he was obviously ready both physically and mentally so I was wrong about that. The call at selection was correct as it wasn't a gift selection to satiate the fans. Theoretically, MJones or the like would have had more touches but probably had less influence on the game due to their overall lack of quality.

I can't remember the last time one of our debutants had such a physical presence, he is in no way a kid. Funny thing is that I thought Petracca looked even more solid in this regard over preseason training - so I guess in exactly one year's time we can expect a similar start from him.

I was also wrong about my expectation that we would come out and fluff all our kicks, spill marks, drop our heads for long periods and play without heart, to go down by about 5 goals

It was a different side for some glorious reason, and I was gloriously wrong.

Nice work C & B. Now you just have to delete any reference you made to golden tickets, acknowledge the fine game had by Jeremy Howe, lose the bar room brawler mentality you've had all pre-season and rediscover your previous high quality posting habits.

Nice work C & B. Now you just have to delete any reference you made to golden tickets, acknowledge the fine game had by Jeremy Howe, lose the bar room brawler mentality you've had all pre-season and rediscover your previous high quality posting habits.

I am actually 100% vindicated on the golden ticket front. You've missed the point. My whole gripe is that players are given a free pass because their pre-season is interrupted. Howe and Watts proved exactly why that attitude is rubbish. Had they played poorly you would be reading the comments of many posters letting them off the hook. If you're fit and selected you should not be given excuses.

• Like 2

This boy just looked the part. Not a big build but played with intensity and showed a desire to be in the action the whole time. No signs of nerves and 100% concentration at all times. Did not shirk any contest. Fought above his weight. He is going to be one hell of a player over the next few years.

• Like 2

The habits that have deserted him for 3 or 4 seasons? Don't hold your breath.

Fair play to you though C&B for admitting that you missed the mark on Brayshaw and his selection, but it's a positive it came out that way as he was a part of a terrific start to the season. Well played to the lad.

I love how we overhype our kids. :P That said, 9 tackles on debut is outstanding. I was happy enough with his game. He wasn't quite up with the pace of it, but it was just pleasing to see a high draft pick not look totally out of his depth in game one. However, some of his kicking and decision making was a little rushed, but once he gets the speed of the game, I think he'll be a beauty. Where would we even fit Petracca in this midfield? ;)

I love how we overhype our kids. :P That said, 9 tackles on debut is outstanding. I was happy enough with his game. He wasn't quite up with the pace of it, but it was just pleasing to see a high draft pick not look totally out of his depth in game one. However, some of his kicking and decision making was a little rushed, but once he gets the speed of the game, I think he'll be a beauty. Where would we even fit Petracca in this midfield? ;)

The day Petracca joins Brayshaw (and Stretch) in our side is hopefully the day that we see the end of Ollie Wines threads!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/30/2015 at 9:54 AM, Curry & Beer said:

as bing181 has pointed out, the players you have named form a tiny fraction of the wider pool

furthermore, I'm sure you noticed that none of the players you mentioned are Melbourne players

why? because our d'ment sucks, for one thing, but more importantly, it is because when we play zero gamers they join a pack of other under-50 gamers that are already in the side. There is a big difference between an experienced senior side carrying one kid vs just playing all kids. It is exactly what happened when the Bailey/Neeld sides were 'thrown to the wolves'.

You have to go all the way back to N.Jones to find an MFC player who hit the ground running - and even he came in mid-season, and was average at best in his early days. The difference was we had Neitz, McDonald, White, Bruce, Green, Yze, Brown, Whelan etc a proper group of experienced senior players around him. It is no coincidence that this was also the last moment we qualified as a semi-decent football club. THAT's when you can afford to carry zero gamers.

We will once again field a side that is in the bottom 2-3 for games played, it is why we lose. We should be trying to RAISE that average, not reduce it further by increasing the amount of kids out there.

I'd almost forgotten the reams of literature you wrote explaining why Brayshaw shouldn't play in round 1.  Naturally, he did and went on to play 21 games and placed in the RS awards at year's end.

Some of us could isolate Brayshaw as an individual and assess him as such.  You on the other hand get bogged down by theory.  

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I'd almost forgotten the reams of literature you wrote explaining why Brayshaw shouldn't play in round 1.  Naturally, he did and went on to play 21 games and placed in the RS awards at year's end.

Some of us could isolate Brayshaw as an individual and assess him as such.  You on the other hand get bogged down by theory.  

I'm sorry were we discussing something?  good onya mate.... shame you are in the middle of a discussion with a different poster, about a different player, in a different season

fmd what an arrogant tool

1 minute ago, Curry & Beer said:

I'm sorry were we discussing something?  good onya mate.... shame you are in the middle of a discussion with a different poster, about a different player, in a different season

fmd what an arrogant tool

You don't seem happy.  

Just looking at an old thread.  You feature a lot.

• Like 1