Casey Scorpions v Box Hill Hawks @ Casey Fields

dazzledavey36

Thought Casey's style of play today was a huge improvement on the past couple of years which frankly, was very frustrating, indirect and hard to watch. Today there was a much greater emphasis on moving the ball quickly and a lot less pointless backwards movement.

Not to dissimilar to the dees in Balarat so far...

Thought Casey's style of play today was a huge improvement on the past couple of years which frankly, was very frustrating, indirect and hard to watch. Today there was a much greater emphasis on moving the ball quickly and a lot less pointless backwards movement. Guess credit must go to the new coach.

Agreed with KC that Cam [Pedersen] was probably our best player and 3 goals was good reward. Of the others, Brayshaw, although not a flashy type was good all match. Stretch had a couple of good runs along the wing. Considering Casey only had 7 Demons compared to Box Hill having about a dozen Hawthorn players it was quite a meritorious victory.

Good summary, and bonus points for including a five-syllable word.

• Like 2

There seems little doubt that the Casey Scorpions of 2015 will be a far different proposition to the side that limped through much of last season to finish second last, ahead only of the now defunct Bendigo Gold.

On that performance, the club would be ranked last among the remaining VFL clubs but, after a shaky opening few minutes, the team settled down well against one of the competition's power house combinations and maintained control for much of the game. Their accuracy in front of goal was a stand out.

Gone were the hesitancy and poor decision making of a team that was often undermanned, inexperienced and outclassed side playing poor directionless football and in its place were bigger bodies and a new style of more direct purposeful football under new coach Justin Plapp. They held on against the wind to win well by 20 points - 10.2.62 to 5.12.42.

There was only a small contingent of AFL listed players with rejuvenated big man Cam Pedersen relishing the game against his old VFL club and dominating all over the ground, particularly up forward where he was in fine marking form and got among the goals. Angus Brayshaw was the most impressive of the young recruits. Playing in the middle, he showed class and balance and dominated the centre clearances with great effect. His second term was outstanding. He has clean hands and delivered the ball well given the gusty conditions and relished playing under Plapp, his 2014 coach at the Sandringham Dragons.

James Harmes was effective coming out of defence and Oscar McDonald, playing mainly up forward moved well and kicked a goal early. Billy Stretch on a wing was quiet but had a few good runs and looms as a future outside player who will no doubt be groomed to emulate the Lewis Jetta/Isaac Smith type of player in the future. Jake Spencer rucked strongly, assisted by Jack Fitzpatrick who filled in up forward for short periods.

Skipper Evan Panozza played his usual workmanlike role in defence with occasional stints up forwards. Mitch Gent, who was sidelined by injury last year, was in good form and Tim Smith took a couple of his trademark hangers. Ed Morris and Bryce Rutherford look to be kicking on from their break out seasons of last year.

Lucas Walmsley was the stand out among the recruits. He has pace and poise, kicked the first goal and showed out and with his shock of blond dreadlocked hair is sure to become a crowd favourite.

Other recruits who caught the eye were Jack Hutchins ex Gold Coast, returning Gippsland Power player Tom Muir who spent last year in Adelaide, James Munro from Sandringham and Luke Hannon who skippered Eastern Ranges last year and was a teammate of injured Demon recruit Christian Petracca. Jordan Moncrieff, the son of ex-Hawthorn forward Michael, is a likely type at 197cm.

The side was missing experienced Shannon Byrnes and Will Petropoulos and will have much greater depth in 2015 but the main difference between the Scorps of last year and this year is the purpose and spirit of the players. They have a greater desire to succeed. At the final break, Plapp called upon them to maintain their intensity and show the opposition no respite and they managed to do that against a very strong side. They mastered the conditions, kicked well for goal and deserved the result.

• Like 29

Thanks for the report KC! I am avidly soaking all this up from Hong Kong. I can already see a Preimiership Cup heading down to Casey Filelds!

Would love to know how many possessions Brayshaw had.

To have a dominant game in the midfield against last years grand final team Box Hill who are no easy beats is a great effort.

Some have said he isn't ready for senior football but maybe he is?

• Like 1

Would love to know how many possessions Brayshaw had.

To have a dominant game in the midfield against last years grand final team Box Hill who are no easy beats is a great effort.

Some have said he isn't ready for senior football but maybe he is?

He would have to be odds on to play on Friday night and whilst the opposition might only be a tad better than what he faced yesterday, it should be a good test for him.

• Like 1

Box Hill had 16 AFL players playing for them so a great effort all from Casey.

Found this on the Hawks Bigfooty who some went and watched the game.

" My BOG was Angus Brayshaw, a serious ball magnet and effective with his use of the footy. Interesting that he is not in the Melbourne senior team."

• Like 11

We know that many refer to the NAB Challenge as just being practice matches so not too much can be taken out of the results and because many teams go in under-manned... can the same be said of these VFL practice matches and were Box Hill at or near full strength?

Box Hill had 16 AFL players playing for them so a great effort all from Casey.

Found this on the Hawks Bigfooty who some went and watched the game.

" My BOG was Angus Brayshaw, a serious ball magnet and effective with his use of the footy. Interesting that he is not in the Melbourne senior team."

i really think it's just a management situation, both he and Stretch have trained really strongly for a long period of time, but i think Roosy has a preference to play guys like Michie and Newton who are bigger bodies and let these kids develop a bit.

Angus will play AFL footy this year, i have no doubt of that, i reckon it might even be this friday night that he gets his chance in place of Ro Bail who was very average.

Great to see a win for the Scorps, albeit a practice match. Will be great for their confidence and also puts the seniors on notice that this year there are guys eager and able to take their place. Should keep the seniors weekly starting 22 on their toes!

Very good day whichever way we look at it!

• Like 1

i really think it's just a management situation, both he and Stretch have trained really strongly for a long period of time, but i think Roosy has a preference to play guys like Michie and Newton who are bigger bodies and let these kids develop a bit.

Angus will play AFL footy this year, i have no doubt of that, i reckon it might even be this friday night that he gets his chance in place of Ro Bail who was very average.

The only way AB should get an AFL game is if a player gets injured and he is in good form at VFL level.

That's the opportunity he will get to prove if he can cement a spot in the best 22 which will then make the injured player improve his own game to get back ino the team.

That's how good teams work.

• Like 1

The only way AB should get an AFL game is if a player gets injured and he is in good form at VFL level.

That's the opportunity he will get to prove if he can cement a spot in the best 22 which will then make the injured player improve his own game to get back ino the team.

agree

we went through several years of just giving our high draft picks games based on zero form and it failed miserably - it helped build the soft culture we are trying to eradicate and lead to many beltings

• Like 1

I asked Gus at Family Day how he thought he went, said he really enjoyed it (which is important), thought he went ok, still heaps of improvement, wants to earn a spot in the AFL side

• Like 2

There was only a small contingent of AFL listed players with rejuvenated big man Cam Pedersen relishing the game against his old VFL club and dominating all over the ground, particularly up forward where he was in fine marking form and got among the goals. Angus Brayshaw was the most impressive of the young recruits. Playing in the middle, he showed class and balance and dominated the centre clearances with great effect. His second term was outstanding. He has clean hands and delivered the ball well given the gusty conditions and relished playing under Plapp, his 2014 coach at the Sandringham Dragons.

2ce48c2084ceb8d627df65adc1252d5800c12282

• Like 1

Get excited because I just got this post from Hawthorn big footy page

Dazzledavey36

Cheers to hear that Angus played well. Did he play majority you the the middle?

Scout

Yes, he did spend a fair bit of time in the middle. Big Jake Spencer was strong in the ruck, certainly helped.

I went there to look at the Hawks players, but Brayshaw kept getting in the way. Don't have the stats, but he got plenty of the ball, not just at the centre bounce but also around the ground. Excellent link up player, I'd say if you re-wind the videos of Casey's goals then Brayshaw would feature in a majority of them.

There is a reason they want to re-sign him.

• Like 3

Angus Brayshaw was the most impressive of the young recruits. Playing in the middle, he showed class and balance and dominated the centre clearances with great effect. His second term was outstanding. He has clean hands and delivered the ball well given the gusty conditions and relished playing under Plapp, his 2014 coach at the Sandringham Dragons.

yessss.gif

• Like 1

Agree. I actually forgot that Bail played at all, did he get subbed off cause in all honesty I can't remember him touching it once.

Give Brayshaw a go against Essendon, I'd say.

The second half was deplorable on Saturday. Time to change up a mid or two in our final dress rehearsal.

Let's not forget what Roosy unearthed when he played JKH in our first praccy match last year.

Did Fitzy look as if he had progressed. I know big men take time but I am starting to find him frustrating.

He put I a good game a couple of years back ? vs Dogs but was that a flash in the pan? Looked very athletic that night.