Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns

WERRIDEE

2005 I believe

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome then my expectation optimism every year of us winning the first round probably means I'm insane. Even to the extent of flying down from Sydney I get so optimistic with the catch cry "Well at least we know we couldn't be as bad as last year." only to be crushed. Think StKilda last year, Port the year before and Brisbane the year before that. All expected to be shoe ins.

I think I might be beginning to recover from my insanity because for the first time in many years I don't expect us to win the first game. I have tied my hands and feet and been gagged so I don't say "Well at least we know we couldn't be as bad as last year." even though I really want to say it.

Having said all of that I'm still going to fly down for the first game but at least I don't expect us to win. I might even get to the first three games. GWS in Canberra the week after and possibly a flight to Adelaide as a once off to experience the new ground and a few of those delicious reds.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome then my expectation optimism every year of us winning the first round probably means I'm insane. Even to the extent of flying down from Sydney I get so optimistic with the catch cry "Well at least we know we couldn't be as bad as last year." only to be crushed. Think StKilda last year, Port the year before and Brisbane the year before that. All expected to be shoe ins.

I think I might be beginning to recover from my insanity because for the first time in many years I don't expect us to win the first game. I have tied my hands and feet and been gagged so I don't say "Well at least we know we couldn't be as bad as last year." even though I really want to say it.

Having said all of that I'm still going to fly down for the first game but at least I don't expect us to win. I might even get to the first three games. GWS in Canberra the week after and possibly a flight to Adelaide as a once off to experience the new ground and a few of those delicious reds.

yes you are insane

• Like 2

Yes.... I'm flying down from Sydney with my youngest son on Good Friday, but I'm not sure that I want to do the drive to Canberra... not to mention the fact that the old hip pocket can't afford two weekends' worth of accommodation on the trot.

Edited by hardtack

Yes.... I'm flying down from Sydney with my youngest son on Good Friday, but I'm not sure that I want to do the drive to Canberra... not to mention the fact that the old hip pocket can't afford two weekends' worth of accommodation on the trot.

We met at the tour of the Club facilities before the first game I think last year. I haven't spent any time in Canberra for a long time so might take in the Gallery and a few other things. I don't have to pay accommodation in Melbourne which helps.

The players that they didn't have in that game that will probably play are Bennell, Malceski and Hallahan, while we will have Lumumba, Hogan, Garlett, Newton and Frost.

Like this Werridee, pretty simple and a good point. I think we have more chance against the Suns then against the Giants which sickens me a little bit.

Fact is we should win both games against Gold Coast and Greater Western Shizen CONFORTABLY this year. If Lynch plays or doesn't I don't give a toss. About time we started to back ourselves in . We must start with a win first up and I believe we will!

Our development depends on it!

I would be flabbergasted and shocked if we don't win first up this year.

For a lot of reasons Losing this first encounter is potentially catastrophic!

Sick to the back teeth of starting out with a loss Round 1

Lets win and win well!

Edited by picket fence

When did we last win the opening round of a season?

Is it something like 2006?

2005 I believe

That was the Troy Broadbridge memorial game against Essendon to put into perspective how long ago that was.

2006 we lost the first game against the ridiculously terrible Blues at Docklands which combined with the loss to them later in the year to give them 2 of their 3 wins for the year cost us a top 4 spot.

I still haven't gotten over our interest in Tom Lynch in 2010, only for GC to take him with the pick before ours.

Prenderghastly, in his wisdom, decided that our need for a tall was far greater than Brodie Smith, Shaun Atley, Jack Darling or Luke Parker - and took Lucas Cook.

What a [censored].

• Like 2

Fact is we should win both games against Gold Coast and Greater Western Shizen CONFORTABLY this year. If Lynch plays or doesn't I don't give a toss. About time we started to back ourselves in . We must start with a win first up and I believe we will!

Our development depends on it!

I would be flabbergasted and shocked if we don't win first up this year.

For a lot of reasons Losing this first encounter is potentially catastrophic!

Sick to the back teeth of starting out with a loss Round 1

Lets win and win well!

Are you taking the urine?

Gold Coast will be hanging around the top 4 for most of the year and are that far ahead of us. Meanwhile we 'll be battling with St Kilda and Dogs as the worst team in the league. They should beat us and quite comfortably.

We should give GWS a run for their money though.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

I have a feeling we will be one of the best teams in the bottom 8. We will show signs of improvement, surprise the hell out of a couple of teams and perhaps get a few unexpected wins- but still won't be good enough to crack the 8- our team- a particularly our midfield- is too raw. We will be mixing it with teams such as Collingwood, the Dogs and Tiges, and hopefully overtake some strugglers like the Saints and Blues.

• Like 1

We met at the tour of the Club facilities before the first game I think last year. I haven't spent any time in Canberra for a long time so might take in the Gallery and a few other things. I don't have to pay accommodation in Melbourne which helps.

Ahhh yes (did you recognise me from my avatar?)... that was 2013 before the disaster that was the Port Adelaide game. Well who knows, we may bump into each other at this game.

Last year's match against the Saints was always winnable. The difference, ultimately was Saint Nick. He won them that game. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Port in 2013, Brisbane in 2012, Hawthorn in 2010, North in 09, or Hawthorn in 08.

2007 against the Saints was probably the worst: there was an article in The Age that week pumping us up as Victoria's only genuine chance to win the premiership. That was pretty much the beginning of the end, with the end having continued on until this very week.

Holy crap, it's been almost a decade...

5055733.gif

• Like 1

Last year's match against the Saints was always winnable. The difference, ultimately was Saint Nick. He won them that game. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Port in 2013, Brisbane in 2012, Hawthorn in 2010, North in 09, or Hawthorn in 08.

2007 against the Saints was probably the worst: there was an article in The Age that week pumping us up as Victoria's only genuine chance to win the premiership. That was pretty much the beginning of the end, with the end having continued on until this very week.

Holy crap, it's been almost a decade...

5055733.gif

I was going to Like your Post for your presentation of the facts. But the facts are so horrible I can't really press the Like button.

This discussion about key outs for the round one match is hilarious reminiscent of the round one match against the Saints last year.

We were a shoe-in to win due to their injury count. Everyone remember that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And remember round one in 2008 v. Hawthorn.?

They were without about 6 stars....Hodge, Franklin, Roughead and others due to injury and suspension. It was tempting to think we had a chance on the MCG.

They killed us by 140 odd points, throwing our season into disarray.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And remember round one in 2008 v. Hawthorn.?

They were without about 6 stars....Hodge, Franklin, Roughead and others due to injury and suspension. It was tempting to think we had a chance on the MCG.

They killed us by 140 odd points, throwing our season into disarray.

We are a completely different club now. If Bennell is flying I don't think we stand a chance against the Suns, but if we can tame him, I think we will run them very close (even to the point of a narrow victory). I think the seeds of self-belief within the club are starting to sprout and that will make a big difference (in my opinion, last week's performance against the Dockers will have reinforced that).

Edited by hardtack

We are a completely different club now. If Bennell is flying I don't think we stand a chance against the Suns, but if we can tame him, I think we will run them very close (even to the point of a narrow victory). I think the seeds of self-belief within the club are starting to sprout and that will make a big difference (in my opinion, last week's performance against the Dockers will have reinforced that).

But we lost hardtack