FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

Some of the commentary is warranted, but I think some are pre-empting his exit and that is affecting their judgement and comments. He's not nearly as poor a footballer as this thread is painting him to be. Certainly he's not been at his best of late.

P-man, I'm as critical as most regarding Howe (have been since before this season if you go through my old posts), but from memory I haven't once said he's a poor footballer. My point is that he will likely bring us a return that is above his worth.

If we were talking draft pick value, I'd estimate his value to be in the range of pick 40-50. If someone wants to offer us something in the range of pick 15-25, then we will absolutely consider it.

As I've said many times, Howe has the best trade value on our list, and for us to improve, it makes sense to use him in any potential deal that would make our list better. If we can't get an upgrade from him, then we don't trade him, simple.

Have been a Howe supporter for potential he had and for comparison with Lynch.

BUT

Still needs to produce for us or delist him

I dont think we should play him in the senior side if he is not producing and I would play him forward and make him produce his best for us and/or a future salary. If he aint up to it he aint up to it

Agree surely playing our best and blooding players is more important than the marginal advantages of his playing?

• Like 1

I want to see Garland's ink on a new MFC contract.

As for Howe - well, he clearly has a value to the MFC, but it may be that what Howe and his manager think that value is, is a bit different to what the MFC think it is.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

P-man, I'm as critical as most regarding Howe (have been since before this season if you go through my old posts), but from memory I haven't once said he's a poor footballer. My point is that he will likely bring us a return that is above his worth.

If we were talking draft pick value, I'd estimate his value to be in the range of pick 40-50. If someone wants to offer us something in the range of pick 15-25, then we will absolutely consider it.

As I've said many times, Howe has the best trade value on our list, and for us to improve, it makes sense to use him in any potential deal that would make our list better. If we can't get an upgrade from him, then we don't trade him, simple.

I reckon his hands alone are worth a late second rounder, but there's absolutely no way his true value is an early first rounder. If we can get it, brilliant.

Could the club be in cahoots with GWS and Jeremy? Conspiracy sounding but it wouldn't be the first time there's been a hint of minor regulatory impropriety between the clubs, and there's something that just isn't sitting right with the whole alleged offer last year and events since.

• Like 1

I reckon his hands alone are worth a late second rounder, but there's absolutely no way his true value is an early first rounder. If we can get it, brilliant.

Yeah, I was trying to value him as a late 2nd rounder, so his range would probably be closer to the pick 35 mark. Given Vince cost us pick 23, I think the 35-40 range would be more accurate for Howe.

From that, if someone were to offer us something in that 15-25 range, that we could then use for another midfielder, then we have to seriously consider it. If we were able to package Howe and our 2nd rounder (approx. pick 25), for Coniglio and their 3rd rounder, it might be something that GWS would consider. (Nb. I don't know enough about Treloar to comment on a deal to get him).

Jeezus, I'm starting to sound like Olisik. Someone slap me, please.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was trying to value him as a late 2nd rounder, so his range would probably be closer to the pick 35 mark. Given Vince cost us pick 23, I think the 35-40 range would be more accurate for Howe.

From that, if someone were to offer us something in that 15-25 range, that we could then use for another midfielder, then we have to seriously consider it. If we were able to package Howe and our 2nd rounder (approx. pick 25), for Coniglio and their 3rd rounder, it might be something that GWS would consider. (Nb. I don't know enough about Treloar to comment on a deal to get him).

Jeezus, I'm starting to sound like Olisik. Someone slap me, please.

That'd be a great trade if we could get Coniglio and hold onto our first pick to trade for another mid.

Has to be an out this week, surely.

He's played a role in a couple of games this year but a player who has proven he has mighty talent like Howe should be performing at a much, much higher level. Just drop him and be done with it - his value is only being damaged at the moment.

• Like 1

Wow....I just love the experts on here....I don't know how many of you have actually played this game but is it not the easiest to play.

When your out of form, it is not like you can flick a switch and get back into form, the ball always seems to bounce the wrong way, you can't seem to get to the right position you just can't seem to get near the bloody thing and the confidence goes, your man seem to always be in the right spot to make you look like your not trying or foolish.

A lot of posters were baying for Nathan Jones to be dumped/delisted because he was always tackled and his kicking...Glad we stayed the course with him.

Just have a look at the venom that is heading T McDonalds way and he had a great start to the year.

And just to the great keyboard hero's calling our players Spuds/useless/pea hearts. I hope you have played AFL footy to be so full of yourselves and so high and mighty.

P.S. If you think that Howe is being gifted games to get a better trade....You need to seriously take a good look at yourselves

His performances haven't exactly warranted praise, however, I do agree that the bashing he gets in this thread is way over the top.

That's Jack Watts' fault!

The pack needs new prey.

Wow....I just love the experts on here....I don't know how many of you have actually played this game but is it not the easiest to play.

When your out of form, it is not like you can flick a switch and get back into form, the ball always seems to bounce the wrong way, you can't seem to get to the right position you just can't seem to get near the bloody thing and the confidence goes, your man seem to always be in the right spot to make you look like your not trying or foolish.

A lot of posters were baying for Nathan Jones to be dumped/delisted because he was always tackled and his kicking...Glad we stayed the course with him.

Just have a look at the venom that is heading T McDonalds way and he had a great start to the year.

And just to the great keyboard hero's calling our players Spuds/useless/pea hearts. I hope you have played AFL footy to be so full of yourselves and so high and mighty.

P.S. If you think that Howe is being gifted games to get a better trade....You need to seriously take a good look at yourselves

Why?

Roos successfully did it with Sylvia.

I had to laugh at myself when I heard Roos's comments after the win against Geelong. After the first half he took a mark and was kicking for goal, I muttered under my breath "you'd better kick this Howe, you've done nothing all day". Turns out Roos and the coaching staff were stoked with how he went about it and couldn't believe he hadn't touched the ball.

Point is I think he is one that does a lot of stuff we don't see.

As to his worth to the club, difficult to say.

I had to laugh at myself when I heard Roos's comments after the win against Geelong. After the first half he took a mark and was kicking for goal, I muttered under my breath "you'd better kick this Howe, you've done nothing all day". Turns out Roos and the coaching staff were stoked with how he went about it and couldn't believe he hadn't touched the ball.

Point is I think he is one that does a lot of stuff we don't see.

As to his worth to the club, difficult to say.

Or, it could still be Roos playing the psychology game and trying to pump up his value subliminally.

• Like 1

Why?

Roos successfully did it with Sylvia.

Given that Roos came after our eos and Sylvia was signed a few days after the free agency window opened I doubt Roos had anything to do with it all!

• Like 1

I disagree

• Like 1

Bookmark this post. Let's check back in a few months.

He certainly did it with Frawley.

Yep, he gifted games to a guy who is considered by the reigning premiers to be best 22 when uninjured. He certainly did it. No doubts AF? I wish I could see the world with such black and white clarity. If Roos is the culture builder we believe him to be, he doesn't gift games to anyone. Howe has always displayed defensive deficiencies. This is not new but because he is unsigned, posters are questioning his effort levels. Where were you all two years ago? He's struggling to find the ball since he has been moved from the backline. Again, he has always struggled to find the ball when playing forward. Maybe Roos is giving him a chance to prove his value - not for a potential trade but for us! As one poster suggested, he may actually be out of form. Crazy theory. Or maybe (sorry C&B) his lack of pre-season is having a negative impact. Howe, like Watts, gives the team flexibility. I hope he stays and I hope he improves.

• Like 1

Yep, he gifted games to a guy who is considered by the reigning premiers to be best 22 when uninjured. He certainly did it. No doubts AF? I wish I could see the world with such black and white clarity. If Roos is the culture builder we believe him to be, he doesn't gift games to anyone. Howe has always displayed defensive deficiencies. This is not new but because he is unsigned, posters are questioning his effort levels. Where were you all two years ago? He's struggling to find the ball since he has been moved from the backline. Again, he has always struggled to find the ball when playing forward. Maybe Roos is giving him a chance to prove his value - not for a potential trade but for us! As one poster suggested, he may actually be out of form. Crazy theory. Or maybe (sorry C&B) his lack of pre-season is having a negative impact. Howe, like Watts, gives the team flexibility. I hope he stays and I hope he improves.

At the end of 2012, I said he should be traded and was howled down...

Edited by AdamFarr

Cant remember if I was in agreement or not on that but that whole era was still part of the "we haven't developed them properly". Everyone is out of excuses and some senior players are getting found out.

I hate posters who love taking the old 'I told you so' road. It makes you sound so petty.

At the end of 2012, and with the club in such a horrible spot, Howe was one of our bright spots. He still had deficiencies that he needed to overcome, but at 22 we still hoped and believed he would overcome those and turn into a terrific player. Time was on his side and to call for him to be traded then was ridiculous.

At 25 he has reached a crossroads - we know what he can offer when he is focused and on his game, and we know what he can't offer on the flip side of that. Unfortunately we've seen too much of that side this year, and whether that is down to him wanting out, or just out of form, is a point of conjecture. I'm hoping he lifts in the second half of the year as his first half of the year has been poor by his standards.

• Like 2