Jeff Garlett Misses Court Appearance

La Dee-vina Comedia

Agreed, and let's wait till all the facts are known, and leave it with Mahoney, the lazy journos who trawl this site looking for news will love this, some of the posts in this topic say more about the poster than Jeff Garlett

"extremely disappointed" were Mahoney's words, the moment i read that i literally hung my head. That's code for 'this is really bad and the club's not backing him'

Who cares, as long as he kick us some goals.

That's right! All the doomsayers lamenting the present situation will be cheering loudly when Garlett kicks a bag of goals. Talk about classic knee jerk reaction by many on this forum. Maybe, just maybe, Jeff missed the court appearance because of club training or team meeting.

• Like 1

That's right! All the doomsayers lamenting the present situation will be cheering loudly when Garlett kicks a bag of goals. Talk about classic knee jerk reaction by many on this forum. Maybe, just maybe, Jeff missed the court appearance because of club training or team meeting.

Of course. He was knee-deep in a bunch of tomes discussing football theory and scientific discovery and in his insatiable thirst for knowledge it slipped his mind that the state had a query for him about criminal charges he is facing. Unconfirmed sources say his court date clashed with a lecture at the University of Melbourne

• Like 4

Of course. He was knee-deep in a bunch of tomes discussing football theory and scientific discovery and in his insatiable thirst for knowledge it slipped his mind that the state had a query for him about criminal charges he is facing. Unconfirmed sources say his court date clashed with a lecture at the University of Melbourne

Of course, my last sentence was tongue in cheek but the rest was serious. There are quite a lot of pessimists on the forum.

Hopefully, we now have the senior players and solid citizens around the club to avoid a repeat of some of the derailing we've had in the past: if the likes of Roos, McCarthy, Goodwin, Cross, Lumumba (from what I've read), Jones and even our boy Nev Jetta can't help keep Mr. Garlett on the straight and narrow, then it's hard to know what would.

Also hopefully, this is the residue of an unsettled year at Carlton, and once its played out, he'll settle back down to letting his footy do the talking.

• Like 4

Seriously?

People here are not saying they don't care about drink driving, more so the stupidity of missing a court date.

Garlett and his excuse of a manager have stuffed up here, but it's not an offence that deserves suspension IMO, if he had been drink driving while at the Demons it would be a different story and most if not all would be calling for a suspension, but this is not the issue. The issue is 2 very foolish people not knowing about a court case and not informing the club about something they had forgotten about!

Exactly thats my other point about growing up and taking responsibility for your actions.

Whether he is at Carlton or Melbourne he is still an fool for drink driving.

Give him a severe reprimand , fine him $10000 and give him a warning that if he gets into trouble again he could face severe suspensions and possible delisting at the end of the year.

Maybe I've missed something, but isn't his explanation that he moved house and forgot to tell the cops/court he had a new address and therefore didn't get the summons. If true, that shows he couldn't organise his way out of a paper bag, but it is hardly a hanging matter. I can understand why a magistrate would say that is not good enough, but as a MFC supporter I wouldn't say he's used up a second chance. But maybe I've missed something?

Edited by sue
  • Like 5

Crikey, we're judgemental group here on Demonland. If we want the guy playing for our club, I always find a bit of empathy beats hitting said player with a stick and telling them they are naughty!

Let's just wait and see.

If the club was blindsided by this then there is really no excuse. I suspect that will be the greater issue for the club rather than the offence which happened whilst he was on someone else's list.

We bemoan tolerating Sylvia and his cohorts for years, you can't have it both ways.

Suspend him for the first NAB cup game & act all stern & move on, he missed a court date for driving whilst suspended, not good but not a hanging offense, I can see how this 'lesser' charge from that night might have slipped his mind. He seems to have made some inroads in his life since joining MFC & it's unfortunate this happened but everyone will move on pretty quickly imo.

Maybe I've missed something, but isn't his explanation that he moved house and forgot to tell the cops/court he had a new address and therefore didn't get the summons. If true, that shows he couldn't organise his way out of a paper bag, but it is hardly a hanging matter. I can understand why a magistrate would say that is not good enough, but as a MFC supporter I wouldn't say he's used up a second chance. But maybe I've missed something?

and according to the paper his lawyer was in court and spoke/negotiated on his behalf

so you would expect the client and lawyer would have some communication

seems lawyer indicated he wanted to plead guilty, so maybe jg thought he didn't need to be there

all a bit strange

and according to the paper his lawyer was in court and spoke/negotiated on his behalf

seems lawyer indicated he wanted to plead guilty, so maybe jg thought he didn't need to be there

all a bit strange

Just as well he can play football dc because everything else about him is a "bit strange".

Will be interesting to see the clubs response. This is a very silly setback for Garlett, I imagine the club and Roos would've asked for total honesty and professionalism when coming across and this is clearly a failing on both sides.

Missing a court date, silly. Not informing the club of this charge, silly.

I'm excited for him getting out there for us, but this sort of crap has to be behind him.

• Like 1

all a bit strange

Hey Redleg or any other lawyers out there. Excuse my ignorance, but if he was represented in Court as claimed in the press, what exactly, from a legal point of view, has he failed to do? Was his presence in court for this offence actually required?

• Like 1

This isn't the aspect of the matter that concerns me.

He did not bother to tell the club of past indiscretions and now the club and player have bad publicity.

The bloke must be as thick as ten planks.

• Like 1

OK, i reckon he's a DH but he's a footballer, and he missed a summons, for all we know the cop was a pies supporter and served the summons via the paper shredder in the station watch-house. Move along nothing to see, he won't be the only player getting some extra management on our list.

This isn't the aspect of the matter that concerns me.

He did not bother to tell the club of past indiscretions and now the club and player have bad publicity.

The bloke must be as thick as ten planks.

I think you are a little harsh McQueen

9.5 is closer.