Tension at the top?

Demons rising

It might be grade A horsepoo.
That being said, if true, it's a disgrace. It's yet again treating employees like slabs of meat who are disposed of at the first possible opportunity.
If PJ was a mediocre CEO then I understand. However, he had done a bloody good job thus far so this is ridiculous.

Then that is an outcome that doesn't upset anyone and is good for the club. However the story so far is that the president allegedly wants to go after another Ceo rather then commit to the current one.

I just wouldnt stand for the club going after a pipe dream and alienating one of the best administrators this club has had for a decade.

Cook would have to be an absolute deadset lock in before you could even consider not extending jacksons contract. Otherwise Jackson walks, Cook say no and where standing there with Cameron Schwab as the only applicant

I don't believe he would go after others without VG reason. so to speculate that GB should leave the red n blue building as some have suggested is just silly without all the facts be known.

if there is anything in this we will find out soon enough.

3AW's Sam McClure said well-respected Geelong CEO Brian Cook was shaping as a possible target for the Demons at season's end, and was a major factor in Bartlett offering Jackson just the single year.

"Bartlett has allegedly claimed he believes he has a very good chance of landing Brian Cook and has elected to keep his options open at season's end," McClure said on Sports Today.

"Given that Jackson's contract is in the region of $600,000 and is not far short of 50 per cent less than what it would take to move Cook, it's regarded as a bold prediction by the club President and a costly one for a club that receives significant funding from the AFL.

"Not all were happy with the state of play and it's believed it played a significant role in the resignation of two recently retired board members.

"Their view was that Jackson's performance and relationship with the AFL has been more than worthy of an extension and that Bartlett risks losing Jackson unless he relents and offers him a longer term deal by mid-season."

Sam McClure...hah.

2 recently retired board members (should have gone with Schwab) who presided over one of the worst periods in the clubs history. Surely they don't want to cause more problems for the club...

Edited by rjay

Not sure how much substance this has. Jackson has consistently said he is not here for a long haul. It was only in September 2014 that he confirmed he was on board for 2015

If PJ wanted a longer contract this is the first time it's been mentioned in public. If Bartlett thinks he has to go shopping for a CEO post 2015 then he certainly has to start looking now. Cook would be a good get and PJ knows all about succession plans

Ideally PJ has become invested in the club & wants to continue beyond his current contract. If that's the case, sign him up for 3 more years. We need the stability

If it is all bulldust then Bartlett needs to get on the front foot in tomorrow's media & put it to rest. Then he can go back to being The Quiet Man president & leave Jackson & Roos as the public faces of the club. That has been working well

• Like 19

Not sure how much substance this has. Jackson has consistently said he is not here for a long haul. It was only in September 2014 that he confirmed he was on board for 2015

If PJ wanted a longer contract this is the first time it's been mentioned in public. If Bartlett thinks he has to go shopping for a CEO post 2015 then he certainly has to start looking now. Cook would be a good get and PJ knows all about succession plans

Ideally PJ has become invested in the club & wants to continue beyond his current contract. If that's the case, sign him up for 3 more years. We need the stability

If it is all bulldust then Bartlett needs to get on the front foot in tomorrow's media & put it to rest. Then he can go back to being The Quiet Man president & leave Jackson & Roos as the public faces of the club. That has been working well

Agreed.

I just woke up to read this rubbish and gossip-mongering on 3AW. I'm pretty angry about all this!

We do not need this garbage causing instability at the Melbourne Football Club! I demand (as a paid up member) that our President Glen Bartlett (as well as Peter Jackson) address this issue first thing this morning and get on the front foot!

No more instability!!! We cannot allow rumours to derail the start of our 2015 season!

• Like 5

This club makes it very tiring to be a member and supporter.

Just when I thought we were on the improve you get this information.

Not sure how many more kicks in the gut I can take.

Sad but they are pushing me very close to the edge.

One more disaster and I am finished.

• Like 1

Feel the same way OD.

I was beginning to think that the NSC had gone but no, it is never far away and its side kick MFCSS is running closely behind. I hope we are all jumping at shadows and this is put to bed quickly.

• Like 1

I recall hearing last Sept/Oct that the delay in PJ's contract extension was related to the contract term. If PJ is signed up for only 1 year then it may be true that he wanted longer but didn't get it. I was surprised at the delay because Paul Roos had extended to 2016 so I thought (hoped) as a minimum PJ would do the same.

I hope Bartlett consulted the AFL before he renewed PJ for only 1 year. Afterall they wouldn't want to see us go downhill again in a few years. Barlett is yet to establish his own credentials, IMHO. His first foray into the public domain (remember the Melboune will be the like the New York Yankees interview) was less than an auspicious start. He was ridiculed a fair bit in the press over that one. Now something like this (if true) has been leaked. ATMO Bartlett has no credits in the bank, IMHO and if it was a choice between Bartlett vs PJ I would take PJ every day of the week!!

• Like 5

I recall hearing last Sept/Oct that the delay in PJ's contract extension was related to the contract term. If PJ is signed up for only 1 year then it may be true that he wanted longer but didn't get it. I was surprised at the delay because Paul Roos had extended to 2016 so I thought (hoped) as a minimum PJ would do the same.

I hope Bartlett consulted the AFL before he renewed PJ for only 1 year. Afterall they wouldn't want to see us go downhill again in a few years. Barlett is yet to establish his own credentials, IMHO. His first foray into the public domain (remember the Melboune will be the like the New York Yankees interview) was less than an auspicious start. He was ridiculed a fair bit in the press over that one. Now something like this (if true) has been leaked. ATMO Bartlett has no credits in the bank, IMHO and if it was a choice between Bartlett vs PJ I would take PJ every day of the week!!

My thoughts exactly LH

Nail on head old dee.

I agree 100% unfortunately.

Bartlett was an Eagle, wonder if he and Cook know each other from those days?

Not sure about the Meth Coast days but prior to that they both were involved with East Perth around the same time, so their will be history there

If Jackson wants a multi-year deal that would be fantastic (seeing as he intially was only coming on-board short term). I understand why Bartlett might like the idea of Cook, but this is so symbolic of the way the club has been run in the past. Jackson has helped turn the ship and deserves to stay on and see his plans through, de-stabilising the club is the last thing we need right now and I hope those who have pull within the club will be letting Bartlett know this!

Is there indeed tension or is some much raking journo mistaking a bbq for a bushfire ??

Don't think there's much here guys. Queried a mate who's a board member today and he knew nothing of it. Hasn't led me astray in the past so take from that what you like.

I really hope you are right mordja....We need Unity right now for a long period of time..

• Like 1

i have no idea if this is indeed fact or fiction.

I do remember the last time we fiddled and farted around was when we delayed extending Northey's contract and the Tigers came in and swooped ( pardon the pun).

Don't think there's much here guys. Queried a mate who's a board member today and he knew nothing of it. Hasn't led me astray in the past so take from that what you like.

I don't believe it has got any truth to it either. Especially given our mistakes of the past.

Out of curiosity, can you ask your mate if there was an offer to, or why PJ wouldn't sign on past this year?

Who'd of thought that there may be competition for the CEO position. Must be a good sign that the Dees are an attractive destination. Of course stability is paramount and it needs to be handled in the right way which I believe it will.

Bartlett keeps a low profile but is a very smart operator - easy to underestimate.

• Like 1