Elsternwick Park - anyone heard about this?

pitmaster

wetpac - walking distance from collingwood

tullamarine - airport - bomber heartland

mulgrave - not much

Good public transport (tram, train, bus), good parking, easily accessible from SESuburbs (such as Brighton)

and CBD and good supporter base in the immediate area!

isn't that where d-l or wyl wanted a demon's social club?

edit: i just remembered why it rang a bell.....it's where wongs is

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28396-weak-club/page-5#entry485924

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29593-mfc-where-are-we-honestly-at/page-9#entry535752

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29934-club-culture-how-do-you-change-it/#entry551423

ah Mr Wong what a mess,,,, :lol:

Edited by dee-luded

Caulfield, Bentley, Prahran and south Yarra are all very accessible to Elsternwick Park.

In my mind it is our heartland.

Its close to both Trams Trains and right next to Nepean Highway.

It perfect to me although I do admit to living at the back of it...

The Saints have dilly dallied with Moorabbin, Frankston and the Junction. It seems strange that they would like our idea better.

Please please me, demons and I promise to attend training and report forthwith.

Although my reports will be dotted with "Trenners just shot past Jamar on his tricycle",

"Jamar looks concerned, will be out for 8 weeks with a serious frown", "Garland suddenly looked interested at training today and was told to take it easy" and "Gawn hurt himself by going up for a mark one-handed again with his north and south wide open, and ball lodged in his gullet, sent to Switzerland for scans".

what about the old prahran vfl ground? very accessible to many

presume it's currently council owned?

mfc also have a strong connection

social club could be incorporated like richmond

just a thought (even if not well thought through)

"Toorak Park" would fit our image to a nicety ^_^

Just did a 'google' and apparently Prahran (two blues) and Old Xav's still play there (as well as the Prahran cricket club in the summer)

Nice thought though dc

Ask anyone in the VAFA - and they'll tell you that Elsternwick Park is a crock. The drainage is appalling - and the" landscaping" has created a wind tunnel which seems to affect the game even on relatively still days. The changing rooms etc are very average. For a number of years A Grade Clubs were rostered to play one or two games a season at the venue. Three cheers echoed around the clubs when that practice was stopped a season or two ago !! The area is dominated by the golf course - and any development of the oval and its surrounds would cut into space the golfers would probably like to see converted into a carpark.

I reckon the Age article is picking up two genuine issues. St Kilda's desperation to find a suitable venue - and the failure of the VAFA to maintain a quality venue at the site. A fair chunk of the crowd for this year's VAFA finals watched the game from a temporary scaffold grandstand erected in front of the main building . The VAFA are clearly struggling to take advantage of the facility.

Might help St Kilda's case to throw Melbourne into the mix - but I cant see any logic in Melbourne getting involved - for all the valid reasons noted in this thread

Ask anyone in the VAFA - and they'll tell you that Elsternwick Park is a crock. The drainage is appalling - and the" landscaping" has created a wind tunnel which seems to affect the game even on relatively still days. The changing rooms etc are very average. For a number of years A Grade Clubs were rostered to play one or two games a season at the venue. Three cheers echoed around the clubs when that practice was stopped a season or two ago !! The area is dominated by the golf course - and any development of the oval and its surrounds would cut into space the golfers would probably like to see converted into a carpark.

I reckon the Age article is picking up two genuine issues. St Kilda's desperation to find a suitable venue - and the failure of the VAFA to maintain a quality venue at the site. A fair chunk of the crowd for this year's VAFA finals watched the game from a temporary scaffold grandstand erected in front of the main building . The VAFA are clearly struggling to take advantage of the facility.

Might help St Kilda's case to throw Melbourne into the mix - but I cant see any logic in Melbourne getting involved - for all the valid reasons noted in this thread

I played a game there the day after the infamous '87 Prelim, surface was so bad my foot got caught in a hole and snapped off. 9 screws and 5 operations later I wished I'd never seen the place. Also split up with my Qld girlfriend the night of the Prelim loss. She thought I was stupid for getting so upset about a game of stupid Aussie rules. Not the best weekend I've ever had.

Hope it's improved since then but doesn't sound like it.

I've been there many times and it is windswept. Players always got lost on the outer wing. Its very, very wide and not overly long. Its has a huge camber like Casey. Not that intimate / pleasant for watching football. For this to go ahead, I would assume that the ground will be re-surfaced and state-of-the-art drainage installed. Its definitely not to Gosch's Paddock / AFL standard. A lot of money will need to be spent on facilitates.

Surely the most important question to ask is whether Saty can get there. Will he need a new scooter?

My God I am glad someone has a brain that is working well on New Years Day.

This is the first question.

If he cannot make it the deal is off.

We need investigate no further.

• Like 3

Elsternwick Park is awful.

You must remember 100+ years ago the whole area was swamp land. It is the lowest point of Melbourne.

I live down there and it is not the place to build a state of the art training facility.

St. Kilda can have it

But yes it is close to Wong's Cafe..

• Like 1

You must remember 100+ years ago the whole area was swamp land. It is the lowest point of Melbourne.

I live down there and it is not the place to build a state of the art training facility.

St. Kilda can have it

Hmmmm?

• Like 2

St. Kilda can have it

Junction Oval and Lakeside are probably built on reclaimed swampland also.

But with imminent rising sea levels you may be right.

We should take the higher ground.

and living near WYL is not something the club should entertain.

I'm sure your hedonistic lifestyle will not be a good influence upon our athletes.

St. Kilda can have it

Can't believe Wong's is still going.

How is the food these days?

Remember going along with the old man as a kid in the days before take away containers. We used to bring our own steel pot along and get them to fill it up with Chicken Sweet Corn soup.

They used to have an Australian menu available too for folks that couldn't cope with Asian food i.e sausages, chops etc.

Never did understand that, I always expected Chinese food at a Chinese restaurant?

Delicious!

Edited by Craig Drinker

St. Kilda can have it

WYL you are right it was all swamp down that way and a low point but I didn't realise that you lived there. Gee if something goes horribly wrong with the sewage transfer system you know it is designed to relieve into the Yarra river. But If you are below that level, well things could turn ugly. Anyway let's stay positive in 2015.

St. Kilda can have it

Why WYL, whats Wong witit ? :cool:

lowland, well millions were just spent on the Sandringham Yacht club, & thats low.

I'm sure your hedonistic lifestyle will not be a good influence upon our athletes.

its alright Bif, the ground is encircled by a levy. all they need do is raise the driveway crossover with a decent embankment... nothing our 4 wheel Range Rovers couldn't handle.

And a decent submersible pump of size should suffice, just as long as the Hoods sewer runs down toward the Mitford St area it shuute be all fun. :cool:

some nice high ground at wattle park biffo

already got a picture pretty ground and we could kick the short order cooks out of the chalet

nice little boutique golf course next door for the lads to wind down after training

plenty of surrounding grounds for a commando style training setup too

Our off-field administration is located at no cost to us courtesy of the MCC in the former VFL offices (Southern Stand) . The cost of replicating this elsewhere would be horrific . Apparently Melbourne Rebels are lobbying to take our spot at AAMI . I reckon there is a fair chance they wont be financially viable for much longer . Gosch's is just fine for us.

• Like 2