2015 MFC Training Camp Maroochydore

Howe did he do that

Absolutely agree.

Watts is clearly a very good player. It's just that many have wanted him to be a different type of player to what he actually is, which is a highly skilled, athletic, outside type player with supreme vision, i.e. not another hard nosed ball winning inside mid in the mould of Nate Jones, or a burly aggressive forward like Jonathon Brown.

Doesn't mean he's not an excellent player to have on our list though. I reckon Roos knows/recognises this.

I am not Watts basher but "very good player" and "excellent player to have on our list" is overreach IMO.

I agree with your assessment of his skillset and he is the player that I am most comfortable having the ball in his hand and I love his vision in that he opens up play.To be a very good player he needs to do it more consistently. As yet he has not been a week in and week out footballer. He has had some games where he is really been good for a couple of quarters and then goes missing.

I think Roos understands exactly what he has but I would hope that he has expectations that he does what he does more frequently and consistently

• Like 5

Absolutely agree.

Watts is clearly a very good player. It's just that many have wanted him to be a different type of player to what he actually is, which is a highly skilled, athletic, outside type player with supreme vision, i.e. not another hard nosed ball winning inside mid in the mould of Nate Jones, or a burly aggressive forward like Jonathon Brown.

Doesn't mean he's not an excellent player to have on our list though. I reckon Roos knows/recognises this.

Agree Ron, Jack is a highly skilled, athletic, outside player. What is frustrating is that he promises so much more. Our expectations have not been matched by his performances on the field. I think everyone wants him to succeed but become disappointed and frustrated with his efforts. Unfortunately, he is one of those players whose body language at times gives a poor impression of his intensity/effort. If we accept that he is an outside player, he still needs to apply defensive pressure and make the contest. This was also Liam Jurrah's biggest weakness and would have hampered his progress irrespective of the off field drama.

Jack is clearly a player who will improve in a better team but top performing clubs require commitment and intense effort from all their players irrespective of their different playing styles and psychological make-up.

One must accept that it must be difficult for all players particularly those still developing their game to reach their potential in a poorly performing club. Nathan Jones said as much last year when he admitted to feeling very depressed after each loss. That feeling eats into your whole being. In this sense, I am sympathetic to Jack's position. However, it did not stop our Captain putting in 100% week in week out. I guess though he is an exception and it is the reason he is our Captain. In concluding, Roosy has been a great supporter of Jack so if he can't get the best out of Jack no-one will. At the same time, we need to see overall team improvement to see Jack flourish. Here's hoping. As a newcomer to this forum, I apologize to seasoned Deelanders for a further post on Jack and perhaps stating the bleeding bloody obvious. Could not help myself. I won't do it again.....promise.

Put butter in the freezer for a while and check out how soft it is.

Watts' often plays well in Darwin when they go in those big cool rooms during the breaks. You could be on to something here Ron!

I'm just a bit over the Roos is a messiah because he got Watts to have a season remarkably similar to ever other year he's had. And that Watts' is some kind of special outside player who can play good footy whilst refusing to put his body on the line. It's crap. He's not the third Hill brother. He's not even Andrew Gaff. You got to go when it's your turn and do defensive things. It's really pretty simple stuff.

• Like 7

i think he would make an excellent fwd decoy for hoges, hardtack

he is a master at distraction

I fear the blood rule would see him being unable to take the field.

• Like 4

I am not Watts basher but "very good player" and "excellent player to have on our list" is overreach IMO.

I agree with your assessment of his skillset and he is the player that I am most comfortable having the ball in his hand and I love his vision in that he opens up play.To be a very good player he needs to do it more consistently. As yet he has not been a week in and week out footballer. He has had some games where he is really been good for a couple of quarters and then goes missing.

I think Roos understands exactly what he has but I would hope that he has expectations that he does what he does more frequently and consistently

Watts will grow enormously this year. We all agree his skill set, vision, size and knowledge across all the lines should see him potentially be one of the most damaging players in the league. What he has lacked from day one is that feeling of having his back covered. The confidence to go in hard, knowing that if it all turns pear shaped, a couple of the boys will stand them down. One or two of those players whom others fear. Someone to rag doll the opposition, make them think twice. We have lacked that presence. Watts will find a swagger when other teams know it's going to hurt to play us. Collingwood had it that day, but, I think Watts would love nothing more than to run amok against their young backline while Hogan quietly shatters their self belief.

• Like 4

In his latest interview, he looks a man full of confidence and very comfortable about his diverse role in the side.

Last season was up and down and punctuated with the usual frustrations, but overall it was a forward step. 2015 could be an even bigger step if his self-belief is as a strong as it appears to be.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

Watts will grow enormously this year. We all agree his skill set, vision, size and knowledge across all the lines should see him potentially be one of the most damaging players in the league. What he has lacked from day one is that feeling of having his back covered. The confidence to go in hard, knowing that if it all turns pear shaped, a couple of the boys will stand them down. One or two of those players whom others fear. Someone to rag doll the opposition, make them think twice. We have lacked that presence. Watts will find a swagger when other teams know it's going to hurt to play us. Collingwood had it that day, but, I think Watts would love nothing more than to run amok against their young backline while Hogan quietly shatters their self belief.

So... The reason his attack on the ball and the contest hasn't been up to scratch is because his team mates aren't intimidating enough?

So... The reason his attack on the ball and the contest hasn't been up to scratch is because his team mates aren't intimidating enough?

Give it a rest!

You (and heaps of you) have your complaints about Jack - Demi Dee expresses positive belief about Jack on the basis of thinking he will benefit from a toughening up of the team around him. Do you disagree about the toughening up of the team around Watts? Do you disagree with Demi Dee's point that someone who is not especially aggressive himself and has been criticised for not being physical enough could be expected to walk taller when surrounded by tougher team-mates? But no - you have to ignore the positive thoughts and grab for the negative spin you can put on this comment on the growth of the team and its probable impact on Watts.

An attemptedly arrogant Watts, with his physique and character, and the lack of support around him, would only have invited mockery until now. I agree with Demi Dee - things may be very different this year, and if Jack is part of the general improvement in confidence and assertiveness, it will be lovely to watch. Starting the assertive and physical stuff was never going to be Jack Watts' thing - but we all know what he will have to offer when there is a space made for him to do it. (And don't pick at that - you might as well argue that everything depends on the ruckman, because he's the first cab off the rank every time there's a ball-up; or try to argue that forwards are useless because they aren't the ones who get the ball down there. Watts is a role-player. Demi Dee suggests the team is developing in a way that makes his role more viable than it has been. Good point to make, and without any need for sneering and - yawn - Watts-bashing.)

• Like 6

I would like to see Roos develop Watts into the MFC version of Jack Gunston, similar height, weight and age.

Exactly. In a functioning forward line with Dawes, Hogan, Pedo/Jamar/Gawn/Fitzpatrick causing some concern for the opposition I envisage Watts playing the mobile third forward option. Someone who is tall and mobile and drifts back and forward along with Howe. He has the skills but there is always the question marks over his desire. Let's hope this year it all comes together. And we have in other threads talked about his leads not being honoured by a fairly pedestrian midfield. If our midfield becomes competitive and more skilled, things could change markedly. Fingers crossed as usual for the last 8 seasons.

• Like 2

Exactly. In a functioning forward line with Dawes, Hogan, Pedo/Jamar/Gawn/Fitzpatrick causing some concern for the opposition I envisage Watts playing the mobile third forward option. Someone who is tall and mobile and drifts back and forward along with Howe. He has the skills but there is always the question marks over his desire. Let's hope this year it all comes together. And we have in other threads talked about his leads not being honoured by a fairly pedestrian midfield. If our midfield becomes competitive and more skilled, things could change markedly. Fingers crossed as usual for the last 8 seasons.

With Garlett and Petracca making up the final two (interchanged with Kent/JKH)!

• Like 2

With Garlett and Petracca making up the final two (interchanged with Kent/JKH)!

We have been here before CB. On paper the forward line should work but for the past how many years it has struggled and it all goes back to the mid field delivery, quantity and quality. I often wonder how the Dorks forward setup would perform with our midfield delivery?

• Like 1

We have been here before CB. On paper the forward line should work but for the past how many years it has struggled and it all goes back to the mid field delivery, quantity and quality. I often wonder how the Dorks forward setup would perform with our midfield delivery?

Like all Demonlanders, I lament the cards dealt to us last year when we all had high hopes for a forward like of Hogan, Clark and Dawes (plus Watts, Howe and JKH/Kent)! The only consolation bing that this year we line up again with Garlett substituted for Clark (and some handing additions to our midfield)!