The 2015 fixture thread

Bring-Back-Powell

Please post any links or leaks you've heard about the 2014 draw.

I'm expecting the same old.

• No friday nights
  • 8 MCG home games - none against Carlton, Essendon or Richmond
  • 2 NT Home games
  • 1 Eithad home game against Etihad co-tenant
  • Queens B'day v Collingwood
  • Pink lady game V's the Dogs on mothers day weekend
  • Most games on Sunday.

I'm also trying to piece together the round 1 fixture.

Confirmed:

Carlton V Richmond – MCG, easter Thursday

Hawthorn V Geelong – MCG, easter Monday

Brisbane V Collingwood – GABBA, Saturday night

Likely:

GWS V Sydney – happens every other year

Fill in the pieces:

?? V West Coast - Freo’s turn to host round 1

Adelaide V - I reckon Port will host the last game of the year as they had to go to Perth this year for it.

V Gold Coast – Never have 2 games in QLD on a weekend.

So based on the above, if we can avoid Freo or Adelaide/Port interstate, we’ll either be playing Essendon, Gold Coast, North Melb, St Kilda, Bulldogs or West Coast in Melbourne.

Please post any links or leaks you've heard about the 2014 draw.

I'm expecting the same old.

• No friday nights
  • 8 MCG home games - none against Carlton, Essendon or Richmond
  • 2 NT Home games
  • 1 Eithad home game against Etihad co-tenant
  • Queens B'day v Collingwood
  • Pink lady game V's the Dogs on mothers day weekend
  • Most games on Sunday.

I'm also trying to piece together the round 1 fixture.

Confirmed:

Carlton V Richmond – MCG, easter Thursday

Hawthorn V Geelong – MCG, easter Monday

Brisbane V Collingwood – GABBA, Saturday night

Likely:

GWS V Sydney – happens every other year

Fill in the pieces:

?? V West Coast - Freo’s turn to host round 1

Adelaide V - I reckon Port will host the last game of the year as they had to go to Perth this year for it.

V Gold Coast – Never have 2 games in QLD on a weekend.

So based on the above, if we can avoid Freo or Adelaide/Port interstate, we’ll either be playing Essendon, Gold Coast, North Melb, St Kilda, Bulldogs or West Coast in Melbourne.

I think GWS v Sydney is a confirmed round 1 fixture these days.

I wonder if the AFL will go for a Sunday night game? They didn't this year at Easter and Sunday nights flopped but for round 1 before a public holiday it actually makes sense. No such thing as too much footy on TV come round 1. Ess v North as a rivalry makes the most sense for the best commercial game from what's left.

The 5 Vic clubs are already fixtured so we aren't getting a big commercial fixture. I'd actually rather avoid a belting from North or a dispiriting MCG loss to the Saints, Dogs or interstate team. Never keen to travel to Perth in April either.

Really I'd be all for going to Adelaide and taking on a South Australian side and putting up a good effort (win or lose) before returning to a home game with some confidence.

The other team you'd like to play early in the year is Essendon with players accepting an ASADA ban.

The fixture was the was the main reason I pretty much wasted my membership this year. I think I made it to one home game and four away, which sucks when you have a country membership for 5 home games. Our game times just do not work with regional train times, it makes it way to hard to get home.

Yet my essendon mother in law could get to and from pretty much any game because they always play at the good time slots.

It must kill the dees financially.

Can only hope for a fair deal this year

• Like 1

I don't expect we'll get any Friday night games but surely they can finally give us a home game at the G vs Essendon. It's not even their goddamn home!

• Like 2

The fixture was the was the main reason I pretty much wasted my membership this year. I think I made it to one home game and four away, which sucks when you have a country membership for 5 home games. Our game times just do not work with regional train times, it makes it way to hard to get home.

Yet my essendon mother in law could get to and from pretty much any game because they always play at the good time slots.

It must kill the dees financially.

Can only hope for a fair deal this year

Our 9 Victorian home games were:

3 - Sunday 3:20

2 -Saturday 7:40

1 - Monday (PH) 3:20

1 - Sunday 4:40

1 - Sunday 1:10

1 - Saturday 1:15

It's logical that the night games, public holidays and 4:40 games are difficult to get to for country folks on the trains. The 1pm games on a Saturday or Sunday shouldn't be. I'd presume the 3:20 Sunday games are a problem as well, which is a shame because for the club they are usually free to air live on Ch7 games.

Gill said they would try to get more Saturday 2:10 MCG games next year after going away from that fixture (as it's great for live audiences, no good for TV). So hopefully that helps.

From a personal point of view I'd rather Sunday games (so I can watch local footy on Saturday) although I'd certainly rather the 1pm than 3pm (Or 4:40) especially in the middle of winter. Unfortunately 2pm, ie the time footy should be on, isn't an option, it's been sold.

A perfect opening would be a home game V Essendon on Saturday afternoon. Perfect occasion to pump the players and fans up, plus it's literally always Essendon's home game against us every damn year (with the exception of 2010).

I reckon the AFL have been kind to us for many years in Round 1 though, since 1998 (the last time we went interstate), 14/16 of them have been at the MCG and 2 at Etihad.

• Like 1

A perfect opening would be a home game V Essendon on Saturday afternoon. Perfect occasion to pump the players and fans up, plus it's literally always Essendon's home game against us every damn year (with the exception of 2010).

I reckon the AFL have been kind to us for many years in Round 1 though, since 1998 (the last time we went interstate), 14/16 of them have been at the MCG and 2 at Etihad.

Yeah given that we haven't travelled in round 1 since 1998 (loss to Freo) we're probably due. Would either be against Freo or Adelaide.

It's confirmed that Adelaide will be hosting a game in round 1.

Our 9 Victorian home games were:

3 - Sunday 3:20

2 -Saturday 7:40

1 - Monday (PH) 3:20

1 - Sunday 4:40

1 - Sunday 1:10

1 - Saturday 1:15

It's logical that the night games, public holidays and 4:40 games are difficult to get to for country folks on the trains. The 1pm games on a Saturday or Sunday shouldn't be. I'd presume the 3:20 Sunday games are a problem as well, which is a shame because for the club they are usually free to air live on Ch7 games.

Gill said they would try to get more Saturday 2:10 MCG games next year after going away from that fixture (as it's great for live audiences, no good for TV). So hopefully that helps.

From a personal point of view I'd rather Sunday games (so I can watch local footy on Saturday) although I'd certainly rather the 1pm than 3pm (Or 4:40) especially in the middle of winter. Unfortunately 2pm, ie the time footy should be on, isn't an option, it's been sold.

Yeah even the 3.20 games are a stretch. By the time game finishes around 6ish and the next Vline train isn't til 7-7.30 then 2 hours or so on the train and another 30minute drive, your not getting home til after 10 on a Sunday. V line never put on footy specials for a Melbourne game unless Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond are playing but that rarely our home game except for queens birthday.

Id love it if we got some more Saturday games or earlier on Sundays. Not a lot of point renewing the membership next year unless I can actually get to and from some more games.

our fixture this year was so bad that we only had 2 games on free to air after the mid season bye so I had to rely on Demonland to know what was going on in games and even then all I got was everyone saying drop Jack Watts.

• Like 1

Thursday
Carlton v Richmond

Saturday
Melbourne v Gold Coast
Sydney Swans v Essendon
Brisbane Lions v Collingwood
Western Bulldogs v West Coast

Sunday
St Kilda v Greater Western Sydney
Adelaide v North Melbourne
Fremantle v Port Adelaide