Patrick McCartin

Whispering_Jack

Yep, people seem to be forgetting how [censored] our forward line is...

I don't want 2 teenagers running our forwadline...

lets get TEX next year, Or Cameron...

we need to get the Mids pumping first

we can get by thru 2015 with Hogan, Dawes, Pederson, resting rucks & watts/howe. plus the smalls - Garlett, JK-H, Pic????

You are confirming even more my thoughts that the whole thing is a lottery. If as you say they were the attributes of Scully and Trengove, well what other criteria can you go on when you are picking at the pointy end of the draft. Has the whole industry just analysed itself into an ever decreasing circle so it is now making poor decisions in picking the best prospects?

Jon Anderson's article in the Hun last Sunday on the draft compared the actual first three picks in drafts since 2001 with who he nominated as the best three actual outcomes. It was interesting to note that in the earlier years 2001 through to 2005 those selected 1,2,3 were close to the best 3 players produced in that draft. Then from around 2006 it all starts to deviate with the early picks. Kreuser, Scully, Watts, etc versus late picks like Beams, Fyfe, Shuey, Darling on and on we go and throw in Selwood and Rioli.

The recruiters are supposed to know more now than ever before but our blokes, anyway are still struggling.

My theory is a few things actually made it more difficult:

1. The rise in professionalism of junior footy. The best kids stand out when it's a battle of kids. When it's a battle of junior athletes with a heap of training and physical preparation (with some having different levels to others) it becomes much harder to identify

2. Development became so crucial from about 2006-2010. Melbourne have obviously stood out poorly in this

3. The compromised drafts. We could be looking at some really solid top 3 picks in 2010-2012 but the top picks weren't in some of the drafts

4. Variable drafts. Some years will have great standouts, others wont

• Like 2

I don't want 2 teenagers running our forwadline...

lets get TEX next year, Or Cameron...

Yeah solid plan.

Melbourne hasn't landed a big fish from another club for 30 years, unfortunately it's not as easy as just clicking your fingers.

Take the best available players at picks 2 and 3, end of story.

• Like 2

My theory is a few things actually made it more difficult:

1. The rise in professionalism of junior footy. The best kids stand out when it's a battle of kids. When it's a battle of junior athletes with a heap of training and physical preparation (with some having different levels to others) it becomes much harder to identify

2. Development became so crucial from about 2006-2010. Melbourne have obviously stood out poorly in this

3. The compromised drafts. We could be looking at some really solid top 3 picks in 2010-2012 but the top picks weren't in some of the drafts

4. Variable drafts. Some years will have great standouts, others wont

Would be curious to know what rule changes have occurred in TAC Cup over that period as well.

• Like 1

If Petracca goes at 1, it would appear Brayshaw will be 2. It will be very interesting to see who Roos decides upon at 3 given his public statements that mids are a better bet from the draft than KPPs. He's already said Wright is out of the picture. I wonder if McCartin is too? Or could this all be part of Roos Ruse?

• Like 1

If Petracca goes at 1, it would appear Brayshaw will be 2. It will be very interesting to see who Roos decides upon at 3 given his public statements that mids are a better bet from the draft than KPPs. He's already said Wright is out of the picture. I wonder if McCartin is too? Or could this all be part of Roos Ruse?

When and where did he say that? Not doubting you, just curious.

Would be curious to know what rule changes have occurred in TAC Cup over that period as well.

One of the critical aspects of the way TAC cup is played is that players are not allowed to be tagged.

This was supposedly to allow recruiters the opportunity to see the player themselves, but the downside is that you don't get to see the player under real pressure.

Which is what AFL is all about.....

It has a second effect as well for armchair critics.....have you ever seen an ordinary highlights reel of a draftee?

The consequence of the " no tagging"...players are always able to find space to run and lead. Anyone with the ball looks good and doesn't get exposed. And you

won't see a lot of tackling during the game.

It is a good game to watch from the spectators point of view as it is so open and free-flowing, but only makes the recruiters job so much harder....

• Like 5

Yeah solid plan.

Melbourne hasn't landed a big fish from another club for 30 years, unfortunately it's not as easy as just clicking your fingers.

Take the best available players at picks 2 and 3, end of story.

well if we can't develop players, we should import them. We have the cap space, & we need some space in age bracket. We don't want all our guns finishing at the same time.

draft mids & trade talls into our list.

If he's a 193cm Ballantyne then I would definitely draft him. He does have the competitive streak.

Ballantyne rates as my most disliked footballer currently playing.

Would I have him at our club ? in a heartbeat.

well if we can't develop players, we should import them. We have the cap space, & we need some space in age bracket. We don't want all our guns finishing at the same time.

draft mids & trade talls into our list

But you don't seem to grasp that it's not as easy as that. Not many players want to come to Melbourne if there are other clubs interested, and certainly not elite players.

Also, what guns?

Edited by Members' Wing

I suggest our Third or Fourth pick in the draft could be a mature goal kicking forward from one of the Interstate Leagues like SANFL or WAFL or even up north to compliment the situation but I have not got anyone in mind..

I suggest our Third or Fourth pick in the draft could be a mature goal kicking forward from one of the Interstate Leagues like SANFL or WAFL or even up north to compliment the situation but I have not got anyone in mind..

Eddy from the SANFL

Juice?

• Like 1

When and where did he say that? Not doubting you, just curious.

I remember a couple of people on 'land posting that Roos said it at a club function where he spoke. Specifically mentioned Wright. Said that the big guys have it easier in TAC comp than the mids, as the rules prevent double teaming against KPPs, also greater differences between big bodies vs smaller bodies at that level. Whereas the mids are more evenly matched. I can't quote this verbatim, but I think that was the gist of it. Sorry hardtack, CBF searching for it. It could well be taken with a grain of salt, could be Roos throwing a cat into the pigeons, as I said, Roos Ruse.

• Like 1

Turn it up Biff regardless Petrie still kicked 50 goals, Harvey playing midfield still pushed forward and kicked 29 goals.

Lindsay Thomas managed 45 goals this year aswell. Don't know how can sit there and say that Norths forward weren't much chop this year.

It is a reality check to our forward line that we still have a long long way to get to those numbers.

And for your information Aaron Black had a rubbish year but he still managed 26 goals. That's 6 more then our actual leading goal kicker for the year...

At the risk of sounding like Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen, I can only dream of the day that we have a forward line as bad as Norf's.

McCartin is definitely a full foward-esk type player which would complement Hogan (who IMO is clearly a CHF) who loves getting up the ground.

I don't think McCartin will do much in year 1 when drafted (happy to be proven wrong).

Comments saying he's 'ready to go' .......... Bollocks!

He may have the size required but he doesn't have the tank to do what's required at AFL level straight up nor play out the whole year. This will mean his output will be restricted and game time limited.

My gut feel is he could potentially be either of these two types of players ......

• Plugger (Goal freak)
  • Lance Whitnall (Who?)

The 2nd options is a potential reality :unsure:

I'd imagine he'd start out playing a Jack Darling type forward flank role as our 3rd or 4th tall forward to build his engine and add another dimension to his game, while he builds the strength and stamina for the FF role.

Dawes, Hogan, Gawn/Jamar/Fitzy, and maybe even Pedo would be before him in 2015.

Big step up from FF in TAC to FF in AFL.

I remember a couple of people on 'land posting that Roos said it at a club function where he spoke. Specifically mentioned Wright. Said that the big guys have it easier in TAC comp than the mids, as the rules prevent double teaming against KPPs, also greater differences between big bodies vs smaller bodies at that level. Whereas the mids are more evenly matched. I can't quote this verbatim, but I think that was the gist of it. Sorry hardtack, CBF searching for it. It could well be taken with a grain of salt, could be Roos throwing a cat into the pigeons, as I said, Roos Ruse.

Even if Roos is anti talls it doesn't mean he can't be persuaded or even overruled on picking a tall. I remember Danny Frawley saying he was overruled by the recruiters when he wanted Pavlich and they went for Fiora, so it can happen.

I'd imagine he'd start out playing a Jack Darling type forward flank role as our 3rd or 4th tall forward to build his engine and add another dimension to his game, while he builds the strength and stamina for the FF role.

Dawes, Hogan, Gawn/Jamar/Fitzy, and maybe even Pedo would be before him in 2015.

Big step up from FF in TAC to FF in AFL.

I don't see why they wouldn't give him every chance to prove himself in the pre season and if he doesn't prove his worth then he doesn't play RND1 like any recruit, he doesn't have much competition TBH.