Jack Trengove re-injures his navicular (2014) - trade deal off

Wiseblood

Trengove has never appeared to me to be the kinda player or person that lines up for freebies...

And thats the point.

If he isnt in a fit state to be offered an extension or the current coin he wont get/take it for it wont be there.

Understand we as a club are restructuring everything and that includes performance and remuneration.

For it to have even progressed to Jack taking the Punt Rd tour then he too must be weighing it up.

No doubt , well probably likely , an invite to grab a plane to Church - City will be forthcoming.

Theres more than beer and skittles at stake for all parties.

Hes no walk up at Melbourne currently. .just saying

I seriously doubt if any of this is to 'get members used to the situation'. It is either to send a message to other clubs or to deal with information that has become public.

For mine it sounds like an MFC led deal that has to be pitched as a RFC led deal to manage any backlash from Dees fans who feel that Trengove has shown great loyalty to the club in a period of great instability.

The Friday articles soften us up so that by next week we pragmatically accept the deal which essentially involves us giving away Trenners for advancing in the draft order from Pick 23 to Pick 12.

For MFC to do the deal Pick 12 must be needed in the context of a trade which could bring an elite player to Melbourne. Or thats what I am hoping.

If he does accept the move Jack Trengove will always be welcome wherever and whenever Dees fans gather.

• Like 2

The pace of the game has skyrocketed over the last few years... Trenners has a beautiful kick and classy disposal. His set shot kicking is pretty good.

But he is slooooooow for the modern game. Slow players do not succeed in Roosy's gameplan of hard chasing, defensive gut running, tackling pressure... you can't tackle guys if you aren't fast enough to catch them.

And for my money Jack almost epitomises the "scarred" player template that Roos has constantly referred to.

Yeah fair enough, i just want him to get back to Queensland if his fathers health IS the problem, and not Bucks.

If it's Bucks i'll happily take him, but still want to keep Trengove, but i'll trust Roosy.

we could be entering a possible 3-way with the Lions Pies & Dees?????

rjay he said it can, not that it "was" the reason. He was never quick and the game has got faster in the 5 years he's been on our list.

That's why I quoted 'Webber' as saying it 'Can'. No one would really know unless they were treating him and even then it might be difficult...and yes I agree he was never fast but he could kick and did have power over the ball, all the things he lost from his game in the last couple of years.

I think Trengove's last couple of seasons have distorted opinions on his ability. He was more than a very promising kid in his first 2 years.

Richmond is a club with no onfield leaders, it's no wonder they are interested in Jack.

Interesting little point in the article stating that JT is still unable to do full training.

seems overlooked by many.

Unlikely to enter 15 with full preseason under belt.

Happy to respect players and accord them due acknowledgement but Im mainly for what's best for Melbourne.

• Like 1

I don't barrack for a business. I don't go to the football to follow a corporate entity. I don't sit in the rain on a freezing Sunday evening watching my investments go around. I follow the young men who wear the Red and the Blue. Simplistically I expect their loyalty and in return they will have mine. When they prove beyond doubt their love for the colours that I I adore, I expect my club to treat them with the respect and loyalty that they deserve. In many ways Trengove has put the clubs interests before his own, and has suffered the consequences. Players of this calibre are very rare indeed and their worth cannot be underestimated. Jimmy Mac was one such player and I believe Jack Trengove is another. Lets not make the same mistake twice. The biggest myth of all is that Football is a business. Football is not a business. Football is a passion and passion is not a tradable commodity that can be bought and sold. Jack Trengove has an undeniable passion for the Melbourne Football Club and Jack Trengove deserves our loyalty.

spot on Outside fifty...

this should be sent to hang on the AFL Commissions wall.

Yes it was and he was good in 2011 you have selective memory WYL to suit your argument, 88 games was it you said more carp.

He is loyal, don't underestimate his standing within the playing group and the message this sends if we off load him

Trengove does the 1%ers that stands up in finals of that I have no doubt

I am only open to Trading him for Pick 12 and certainly don't want Pick 23 thrown in and that is only if Pick 12 is going to be used along with Pick 3 to land an A grader.

He has no pace and acceleration give me a spell is that what it takes to be a player is it, quick lets get Nicho back and sign Blease back up

You would have off loaded these two dud players early in the piece I would think

Player A:

born and raised in Country Victoria. He played junior football with the ??????? Football Club, before moving onto the ??????? in the TAC Cup. He was selected by ???????? with pick 2? in the ???? AFL Draft. His first few years were plagued with inconsistency, injury and off field problems

drafted by the ?? Football Club with their first selection, and the ????? overall draft pick, in the AFL Draft. After making his debut in the opening round of the , which was a heavy defeat to Essendon, ?????? went on play in 11 out of a possible 22 senior games over the course of the year. After gathering 21 disposals in Round ?, ????? was awarded an AFL Rising Star nomination.

Player B:

Having been dropped back to the club's VFL team to play out the second half of the season, ????? went on to play a key part in helping a reserves side capture the VFL Premiership. Despite an impressive debut season, ?????? struggled to maintain his spot within the team during the ????? AFL season, featuring in only 13 senior games. Averaging just 12 disposals a game. After just two senior appearances to begin the ??????AFL season, ???? was again dropped back to the VFL and instructed by coaching staff to work on particular aspects of his game

When has Jack dominated a game since the sling tackle??

You want to look back and see just how ruthless Norm Smith was. You could be good. You could be very good. But if he didn't think you'd stand up on Grand Final day and help us win another flag, then you were out the door and replaced by someone he thought could.

Football has always been a ruthless sport. Good players chase cash and success, good clubs do whatever it takes - regardless of sentimentality - to build the best team. It's been happening for almost as long as the game has existed.

If trading Trenners gets us a better team then we would be mad not to do it. If it doesn't then we are silly to try it. That's all the really matters. It's all that has ever mattered in this sport.

So the only question is: will we be a better team for such a trade this time next year?

Uncle Fester, would you trade others before Trenners?

would you trade Howe or Grimes or Garland, for said necessary pick ???

At the start of trade week......MFC stated that all players COULD be up for trade.....Including picks 2 and 3

Enquiries have been made by Richmond for one of those players......and is being considered by MFC and said player

I don't believe that there is such a thing as a mega deal behind the scenes.......If this deal does not benefit the club....it will not happen

I also believe in loyalty for without it we end up is the mess that the AFL is in these days......

I have been a member since I can remember...My mum even paid for a junior membership for me when I was still at school but when my favourite players are traded or retired a little bit of the support for the club dies....Woey, the Wiz, Jnr, I believe were stupid moves which I believe cost membership and support for the club.

Am I old fashioned???........You bet but I don't support a business....I support a CLUB

P.S. While I'm at it.......These posters that put up all these absolute idiotic trade senarios ....You have to get a life...

P.P.S.........Every one is calling Griffen lots of names for being a captain and walking out of the Doggies......Yet want to trade out our ex Captain and most loyal player......I don't get it.

great post Bossdog, & more reason to develop our kids over time in the reserves before bringing them up to AFL when they are ready....

also this would help us to trade off players we don';'t think are right for us before they become Dees household names on kids jumpers.

And lets not make jumpers with numbers for sale if the number doesn't have a current 25-games next to it.... We should know fairly well by then, if the player is going to be something.

Then release the jumper number for sale.

The more wins you get seems to equate to a more loyal playing list. Not in every case but in most cases.

The good players seem to want to pledge their allegiance to the winningest teams.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 3

collingwood went after brisbanes players and there was an instant statement backing their kids...

rumours about adam treloar and GWS put out a statement naming him a required player

i am extremely disappointed that the MFC didn't take the opportunity to pay back trengoves loyalty

imagine instead the headline "MFC sticks true to former captain"

imagine an article about the former skipper; after battling the twin issues of ASADA and his season ending navicular injury being told that he is still the future of the club even without the title. being told that he is more important to the club than the random kid we pick with 12.

remember when scully didn't sign on but trengove did?

can you imagine a club that repayed such loyalty in kind?

after all, how does one rebuild a culture?

Regrettably - and unjustly in many ways - Trenners is associated with a period in our history we need to forget, Through that action, Trenners demonstrated the sort of loyalty we would like to retain - but his premature elevation to the captaincy is part of the losing culture Roosy is trying to destroy - as he must.

I dont want Trenners to leave - but if he can buy us a winner I'll accept it.

I agree that he should be worth more than a speculative pick - and if we do the deal I'd expect it to be part of a trade for a proven player - directly or otherwise. I would accept it for instance if we trade picks 2 and/or 3 - and want 12 to keep us in the hunt for this year's talent pool,

Whatever he might think now- Trenners himself might be better off in a new environment.

He's not rated .... Simples as that.

Worst 1 & 2 selections of all time.

Then you are a goose. You don't play a first year as good as his -and it was good - and then lose it for no reason. If he's not rated why would Richmond want him?

I rate him. Great attack on the footy, smart user, good mark for his size, passionate and loyal. Has had issues with speed and it seems to me he has been injured and clearly couldn't run. That's certainly what he says. Blame the medical staff as they were the ones they said he was right to go when clearly his foot wasn't healed.

Since last night my feelings have changed I believe we should not trade JT regardless of whether we have Beams in some convoluted exchange of picks. I hope that the deal when weighed up carefully is turned down by JT. IMO I dont think his 2012 and 2013 was as bad as people make out. Also JT is also the type of player we need at MFC honest, hard working and very much a team player. He is a midfielder and has time in the system and just adds depth. MFC are crazy if they are even considering it IMO.

Edited by PugtheMagician
  • Like 2

I'm very torn on this.

I can understand why people would happily see him go, if he is it should only be a straight swap for pick 11, we shouldn't pay any more.

However I don't think he has had the correct opportunity or structures in place to thrive.

His first two seasons were fantastic, he was progressing very well and as expected for our number two draft pick.

Neeld then came along - further destroyed the list and culture. Trengove along with Grime took the brunt of the criticism and also injured his foot, lost his dash and was never really been the same.

He just had this entire season off and I would rather see him have another pre-season / season at the Dees.

For me I admire his tackling pressures, I think he'll develop into that Travis Boak like role who too doesn't have a lot of dash, and I would rather see Trengoveon our list for 2015. I can think of a few others I would rather see traded first.

I'm very torn on this.

I can understand why people would happily see him go, if he is it should only be a straight swap for pick 11, we shouldn't pay any more.

However I don't think he has had the correct opportunity or structures in place to thrive.

His first two seasons were fantastic, he was progressing very well and as expected for our number two draft pick.

Neeld then came along - further destroyed the list and culture. Trengove along with Grime took the brunt of the criticism and also injured his foot, lost his dash and was never really been the same.

He just had this entire season off and I would rather see him have another pre-season / season at the Dees.

For me I admire his tackling pressures, I think he'll develop into that Travis Boak like role who too doesn't have a lot of dash, and I would rather see Trengoveon our list for 2015. I can think of a few others I would rather see traded first.

Don't think you'll have to wait too long for that wish to come true.

I believe he's had a debilitating foot injury since sometime in 2011.

Because of that, he hasn't been able to perform anywhere near his best. I think about it in the same way as if a player had to play with a debilitating knee injury. In sport, there's excuses and reasons but having a debilitating injury is a reason for not performing well, not an excuse.

Contrarily, the club might have done some tests on him since he's recovered from his major operation and those tests may not have been pleasing. Jack may or may not have been unable to join in full training yet.

A couple of other points ...

1) We shouldn't necessarily be looking at Richmond over evaluating Trengove here and, as an extension of that, us being opportunistic.

2) A player almost certainly can't lose his natural pace so quickly unless it is injury related. (Trengove could run a 2.9 for 20 metres when tested) Athletes do not ordinarily lose that sort of pace in the space of 18 months to 2 years (unless there are other factors involved)

3) He's a former captain and has shown real loyalty for the club when many others haven't. We're trying to improve our culture and a show of faith in Trengove would be a very small price to pay (if, in the end, it doesn't quite work out)

If he gets himself right, he could become a very good footballer. I may be prepared to write him off in terms of becoming a very good player ... down the track - but not yet.

He's a keeper for mine.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, but i wouldn't consider Junior a great player. Great clubman and leader, but he was an ok player at best.

He played over 250 games and won 2 B&F's. He was a lot better than just OK. I suppose Stynes and Jones are O.K at best.

I don't barrack for a business. I don't go to the football to follow a corporate entity. I don't sit in the rain on a freezing Sunday evening watching my investments go around. I follow the young men who wear the Red and the Blue. Simplistically I expect their loyalty and in return they will have mine. When they prove beyond doubt their love for the colours that I I adore, I expect my club to treat them with the respect and loyalty that they deserve. In many ways Trengove has put the clubs interests before his own, and has suffered the consequences. Players of this calibre are very rare indeed and their worth cannot be underestimated. Jimmy Mac was one such player and I believe Jack Trengove is another. Lets not make the same mistake twice. The biggest myth of all is that Football is a business. Football is not a business. Football is a passion and passion is not a tradable commodity that can be bought and sold. Jack Trengove has an undeniable passion for the Melbourne Football Club and Jack Trengove deserves our loyalty.

O50

I dont barrack for a business either, but I appreciate they are one.

I also follow young men who wear the Rd and Blue, the difference between us possibly is I dont care who they are. The assembly of players is called Melbourne and I barrack for Melbourne.

I want to see good , competitive and ideally successful games played by the club and maybe, just maybe a Cup. Thats why I sit in the rain and cold etc

Those players we speak of play for money. In the old days they had jobs and footy was their passion . Today they are essentially all mercenaries. How many actually get to play for a team they prefer ?? Few id suggest.

If its not jack playing its Fred or Jimmy or Harry or Bluey or Red or someone. My allegiance is to the Club ive followed since I knew what footy was. That wont change. The list does...constantly...Should I stop barracking for Melbourne ??

• Like 1

I believe he's had a debilitating foot injury since sometime in 2011.

Because of that, he hasn't been able to perform anywhere near his best. I think about it in the same way as if a player had to play with a debilitating knee injury. In sport, there's excuses and reasons but having a debilitating injury is a reason for not performing well, not an excuse.

Contrarily, the club might have done some tests on him since he's recovered from his major operation and those tests may not have been pleasing. Jack may or may not have been unable to join in full training yet.

A couple of other points ...

1) We shouldn't necessarily be looking at Richmond over evaluating Trengove here and, as an extension of that, us being opportunistic.

2) A player almost certainly can't lose his natural pace so quickly unless it is injury related. (Trengove could run a 2.9 for 20 metres when tested) Athletes do not ordinarily lose that sort of pace in the space of 18 months to 2 years (unless there are other factors involved)

3) He's a former captain and has shown real loyalty for the club when many others haven't. We're trying to improve our culture and a show of faith in Trengove would be a very small price to pay (if, in the end, it doesn't quite work out)

If he gets himself right, he could become a very good footballer. I may be prepared to write him off in terms of becoming a very good player ... down the track - but not yet.

He's a keeper for mine.

Lot of ifs in there Macca. If Trengove now has an injury that will not return to 100% we cannot carry him on the list.

We cannot carry anyone in that position...2011 was nearly 4 years ago

If Jack can play uninjured next year then of course he must be retained.

• Like 1