2014 GRAND FINAL GAME DAY

Whispering_Jack

We had great seats on tier 4 in row A and we were quite excited when Tom Jones belted out Delilah directly in front of us and when ONJ came on I was just about there. Unfortunately the contest was non-event and the game a dull affair. We left at 3 qtr time along with many others.

Who won the Norm Smith ?

Luke Hodge

Very, very average today but not on his own. I reckon only 3 and 1/2 players came to play today. Malceski by far their best player on the day, Kennedy worked hard, Buddy did his job and Goodes was the half, at least he did something with the ball. The rest might as well not have bothered, in fact they didn't.

Such a boring game of footy, Sydney got well ahead of themselves and forgot all about the defensive aspects of their game.

Approaching halfway through the second quarter and they had laid eight tackles. EIGHT. Just did not show up today the Swannies.

Positives: Jeff Kennett continuing to look like a goose after he said last year that Clarko should have gone last year (and he was suggesting he should have been demoted to Box Hill coach 3 years earlier). Sorry Jeff. Only you can stay in leadership positions for six years. People who aren't self promoting, loud mouthed, private school bullies like yourself can stay for much longer. I still can't believe people on this board thought it was a good idea to have him as president of the MFC.
Negatives: The Hawks are equal third in the premierships won column with us. I am sick to death of seeing those p****s winning the cup, I am about to give up on life like Gary in this You Tube clip here (I am also imitating him in another way when I realize the bloody Hawks have won a third premiership since 1996 and we have got zero).

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Time and time again Hawk players get 5-10 metres in front of their oponents for the easy mark. Been doing it for years. Our players always have oponents clinging to them like limpets. Wish we could work as hard as they do.

Time and time again Hawk players get 5-10 metres in front of their oponents for the easy mark. Been doing it for years. Our players always have oponents clinging to them like limpets. Wish we could work as hard as they do.

They know their teammates will hit them with the pass though, makes a big difference.

• Like 2

They know their teammates will hit them with the pass though, makes a big difference.

True, but their players are always getting free and under little pressure to receive the ball. There were many instances today of miss kicks and half volley passes making good because the players had time to recover and while they did that support was always arriving to help mop up.

True, but their players are always getting free and under little pressure to receive the ball. There were many instances today of miss kicks and half volley passes making good because the players had time to recover and while they did that support was always arriving to help mop up.

The Hawks awareness of their team mates and where they are was just extraordinary today. The ball player always had options forward, sideways and often behind. There is zero risk attacking the ball because you know you have support and someone to pass off to, everytime. The Swans in contrast never functioned as a team, mid fielders often got the ball but had few options to pass off and then got tackled and spilled the ball to,a contest. The inside mid group for the Swans struggled, Jetta, Rowan, provided zero outside run, Reid nothing up forward and Tippett not much at all. MFC is so far off the mark it is scary.

Lake is the only player Hawthorn have got from free agency.

The difference between Hawthorn and Melbourne is their high draft picks have been stars.

I think more than just that... Combination of good drafting & development... Inc strong culture, a united club which has built a premiership club not just a team... They have set strong foundations since the failed merger... We have gone around in circles & took a ban aid approach...What occurred prior to PJ & Rooss was diabolical & not a great environment for young players to thrive in...

I think more than just that... Combination of good drafting & development... Inc strong culture, a united club which has built a premiership club not just a team... They have set strong foundations since the failed merger... We have gone around in circles & took a ban aid approach...What occurred prior to PJ & Rooss was diabolical & not a great environment for young players to thrive in...

Yes, but those high draft picks have formed the core of their success.

Yes, but those high draft picks have formed the core of their success.

Absolutely...I wonder how well Buddy, roughed, rioli would have developed @ the dees.. Early picks are only 1 part of it...Difference between the two clubs is so far apart....at least during the years prior to PJ & Roos...

The Hawks awareness of their team mates and where they are was just extraordinary today. The ball player always had options forward, sideways and often behind. There is zero risk attacking the ball because you know you have support and someone to pass off to, everytime. The Swans in contrast never functioned as a team, mid fielders often got the ball but had few options to pass off and then got tackled and spilled the ball to,a contest. The inside mid group for the Swans struggled, Jetta, Rowan, provided zero outside run, Reid nothing up forward and Tippett not much at all. MFC is so far off the mark it is scary.

The Swans didn't put any pressure on today. Why Geelong had the Hawks measure was, well of course they had a team full of champions, but they also put a lot of pressure on the ball carrier and didn't let the good kicks get clear on their left.

Hawthorn were allowed to run their own race and it was party time for Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis, they always had an option and they used it.

Lake is the only player Hawthorn have got from free agency.

The difference between Hawthorn and Melbourne is their high draft picks have been stars.

Hmmm....they got lucky in 2001 with hodge and 2004 with ruffy, franklin and lewis (all pick 7 or less!). They made plenty of blunders though - eg thorpe, dowler, ellis, brennan, ries.

What they have done is get good picks in round 2 and 3 eg hill, mitchell, etc.

Hmmm....they got lucky in 2001 with hodge and 2004 with ruffy, franklin and lewis (all pick 7 or less!). They made plenty of blunders though - eg thorpe, dowler, ellis, brennan, ries.

What they have done is get good picks in round 2 and 3 eg hill, mitchell, etc.

In addition, they have picked up good players from other teams: Hale, Gibson, Gunston, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Lake, Spangher. Overall, just brilliant list management. Their challenge will come in a few years when Hodge, Hale, Gibson, Mitchell, Gibson, Sewell, Lake retire.

Clarkson may well retire with them, especially if they win a 4th. Its hard to imagine him going to coach another team. I think he will do a Roos and go out a one team coach, at a time of his choosing. Hate the hawks but am in awe of what Clarkson has achieved.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

We need to recruit like Hawthorn. I noticed that many of their very good players were mid to late picks in the draft or rookie selections.

I.e

Will Langford - pick 77 (2013)

Luke Bruest - Rookie

Matt Suckling - Rookie

Taylor Duryea - pick 69

Paul Puopolo - pick 66

Ben Stratton - pick 46

Sam Mitchell - pick 33

Angus Litherland - pick 55

If we can get our early selections right and then be astute with our late selections we could be competitive very quickly.

It's all about recruitment and development.

I live in hope that we can turn things around. I am so jealous of Hawthorn but I respect so much what they have done..

Edited by Theo

I don't know which club you were following ... But prior yo this year it was absolute diabolical on all fronts..

So you're saying that Watts, Trengove, Toumpas, Blease, Tapscott, Strauss, Cook, Maric and Gysberts would all be stars if they were developed at Hawthorn, yet Hodge, Franklin, Roughead, Lewis, Rioli and Mitchell would be duds at Melbourne?