THE BREATH OF LIFE - DRAFT ASSISTANCE

Demonland

The Ralph article will help. He clearly reads Demonland.

Factually wrong on one point, when he said the Toumpas pick was part of compensation, for that bloke going to GWS under a new rule and funded by the AFL itself.

I thought the Toumpas pick, 4, was just our actual pick in that year's draft.

Factually wrong on one point, when he said the Toumpas pick was part of compensation, for that bloke going to GWS under a new rule and funded by the AFL itself.

Nah, he is right Redleg. Pick 4 was the Scully compensation pick after our first round draft pick that year. Our organic pick was Pick 3 which was essentially traded for Hogan.

So the secret rules about draft assistance were devised by an economics professor and the exceptional circumstances were designed to help clubs that were in a situation like Fitzroy and we have a worse record than that club had at the time it folded.

Well, I suppose the outcome will certainly tell us a lot about the AFL Commission and the way it runs the competition.

Melbourne could have a plane crash with all 22 players and they would only give us one PP!

Nah, he is right Redleg. Pick 4 was the Scully compensation pick after our first round draft pick that year. Our organic pick was Pick 3 which was essentially traded for Hogan.

Thanks. I thought we traded the compo pick and used the organic. Not much difference. We used one and traded the other.

So the secret rules about draft assistance were devised by an economics professor and the exceptional circumstances were designed to help clubs that were in a situation like Fitzroy and we have a worse record than that club had at the time it folded.

Well, I suppose the outcome will certainly tell us a lot about the AFL Commission and the way it runs the competition.

possibly more about who runs the Commission !! :huh::unsure:

Redleg. You know Ralph. Why not give him a call and ask him how much he gets paid per article and perhaps he might find his way to donating half to his favourite charity on my behalf?

Or at least shout me a diet coke when we have our next annual Phil Scully "eat all you can fit in" Dinner at Wongs?

• Like 2

Redleg. You know Ralph. Why not give him a call and ask him how much he gets paid per article and perhaps he might find his way to donating half to his favourite charity on my behalf?

Or at least shout me a diet coke when we have our next annual Phil Scully "eat all you can fit in" Dinner at Wongs?

I am sure he would be happy to shout a downtrodden Dees fan a diet coke.

A par in the Sunday Herald Sun suggesting we won't get special draft assistance when the AFL Commission meets on Monday night but that the issues involved will help get us across the line in the James Frawley free agency compensation.

Of course this would be wrong in so many ways if it's true. Firstly, the decision is supposed to be made by a meeting of the AFL Commission on the night. The suggestion that the result has been predetermined has a bad odour surrounding it. Secondly, the issues of FA and draft concessions should not be conflated. Frawley hasn't announced his decision yet so they should not be considered or dealt with together. What happens if Frawley decides to stay? Finally, based on the figures of the Freo and Geelong offers being bandied about, we would be entitled to band 1 compensation got Frawley anyway so the whole suggestion is a sop.

Let's hope the article is yet another example of inept journalism rather than corruption at the highest level of the sport. Surely, that's not possible?

• Like 2

A par in the Sunday Herald Sun suggesting we won't get special draft assistance when the AFL Commission meets on Monday night but that the issues involved will help get us across the line in the James Frawley free agency compensation.

Of course this would be wrong in so many ways if it's true. Firstly, the decision is supposed to be made by a meeting of the AFL Commission on the night. The suggestion that the result has been predetermined has a bad odour surrounding it. Secondly, the issues of FA and draft concessions should not be conflated. Frawley hasn't announced his decision yet so they should not be considered or dealt with together. What happens if Frawley decides to stay? Finally, based on the figures of the Freo and Geelong offers being bandied about, we would be entitled to band 1 compensation got Frawley anyway so the whole suggestion is a sop.

Let's hope the article is yet another example of inept journalism rather than corruption at the highest level of the sport. Surely, that's not possible?

You know we are only going to get a fair hearing followed by a first class hanging.

My point earlier has not been made well so I am going to have another go. I would accept assistance but not petition for it.

I don't care about the AFL industry, but it's the messages we send inwardly (to our list, our board, our sponsors, our members and supporters) that bothers me. Let's use our misfortune as motivation - a classic case of the old "pull together tightly and stick it up them all".

"Play like Demons" was the cataylst for our last sustained period of premiership success. It wasn't short cuts that may have lingering cultural effects.

I'm leaving this alone now :-)

• Like 1

I think that's a given 'Jack'.

If we look at it we can see a team in the GF this week who had a player allowed to play, against the rules in the VFL last week to keep him match fit. Of course the Hawks made a mockery of the competition this week by not letting him play when he was eligible in the VFL GF to keep him fit for next weeks AFL GF if he is needed. They had another sitting on the bench and wouldn't let him on the ground in the last Q when they had no other rotations and his team needed him.

Not only this but last week they allowed another Hawk to take the place of a kid trying to make his way in the game. This game was set up for all the kids who were playing in the 2nd tier and lower comps to show what they could do, to give them a chance. But no it was more important for a Hawk senior player on great cash to get a run as a lead into the prelim and now GF.

Who did Mark Evans work with before the AFL. Mark Evans the man who is doing the impossible...making Adrian Anderson look good.

The Chairman of the totally transparent organisation of integrity has a financial interest in a sub standard stadium where we are forced to watch finals let alone regular fixtures. Corruption Park in Western Sydney is the worst ground in the competition and brings the game into disrepute.

What's the CEO doing? don't know really. I've heard something about match day experiences, I thought the footy was good as a match day experience but since my team has not been able to perform and can't win a game I'm not sure singing an INXS song or having lions running around the park is going to make my match day experience any better.

Come on Gill the dill get out there and in the words of John Kennedy "do something"..."do something". You don't really have to ask Eddie.

WJ, if (and it is a BIG "if") the Commission is to look at the Assistance issue correctly, then it must be viewed independently of any other issue including what may, or may not eventuate with Frawley's free agency. that is a separate issue where the rules for compensation are very straight forward. The Mitch Clark situation may be taken into account when considering Assistance.

As it stands at the moment, we have Pick 2. If the Commission do award us a priority pick in this years draft I would expect that it would be one of the following; Pick 1 (highly unlikely), Pick 3 as a selection after our first round pick (maybe, but unlikely) or a selection after the end of round 1(Most likely I believe).

Then once the situation with Frawley is clear then that compensation will be determined. if necessary.

The situation is very fluid. We could end up with picks 1, 3 &4 plus our second round as a best case scenario or with just pick 2 plus our second round if Frawley stays and we do not get a favorable consideration from the Commission.. One thing I do not know is if there are any outstanding picks from the GWS/GCS that can be activated this draft.

An interesting week coming up.

So did they meet last night or what?

Strange they would schedule a meeting on Brownlow night.

i think that it was immediately befroe the Brownlow but irrespective it would be nice to not keep us hanging!

Carlton tanked so it was ok for us to.

Carlton got PP's so it's ok for us to.

I don't want to be like Carlton.

the problem Isn't wanting to be like other clubs or Not.

the problem is we always follow the others lead... instead of being the leader. we have become the sheep of the competition instead of being a courageous club. leading from the front.

our own conservativeness stops us from making the necessary changes & decisions... we led under the Barassi/Jordan Era with D Seddon, got onto the front foot, & we also snagged Sean Wight & Jimma Stynes.

we have to stop being a safe club, because safe sheep are in the middle of the flock, hiding. Lets become the Black one up front.

So did they meet last night or what?

Strange they would schedule a meeting on Brownlow night.

My understanding is that Brownlow night is an AGM for the AFL. This happens every year.

Interestingly (or not), the AFL decision on the PP last year came out at 4pm on Brownlow day.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-23/no-priority-pick-for-demons

As I said earlier, a no is easy on Brownlow day, I feel good.

• Like 2