Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bail, Terlich & Riley Re-Sign

Vagg

Rohan bail is a turnover king! Has the poorest foot skills, so what IMF he gets the ball, it constantly results in a turnover. Looks like the massive clean out we were all banking on wont come to fruition and we will persist with the same group of duds!

A wee bit on the negative side there L

It pays to remember that if you delist someone you have to find someone better.

I am no fan of Bail but IMO there are at least ten worse than him on the list.

There is still ample room for player turn over.

• Like 1

I'm naive enough to believe there would be a strategy behind re-signing them now. I'm sure if Roos et al agreed with those posters who think that some of those 3 are so bad, he would have re-signed someone else. We have to re-sign someone because as much as some of us would like to, you can't replace umpteen players in one go or you will have a team with too many novice draftees no matter how cunning your trading of picks etc is for older players from other clubs. Presumably Roos & co see more hope in these 3 than in others under a cloud.

As to the argument that delisted players from other clubs will be significantly better, I doubt it, especially as they will have to be introduced to Roos' gameplan.

• Like 1

Rohan bail is a turnover king! Has the poorest foot skills, so what IMF he gets the ball, it constantly results in a turnover. Looks like the massive clean out we were all banking on wont come to fruition and we will persist with the same group of duds!

Some times he turns it over. Sometimes he kicks it lace out to Dawes in the goal square or slots a goal from 40 on the run.

• Like 2

Well, I think you'll find that what the uneducated majority reckon is that Terlich isn't actually up to AFL standard. Too loose as a defender, and lacks the vision or skill to go with his willingness to take the game on. Also, Bate was 3rd (or 2nd?) in a B&F not that long ago.

And that's why a few people have raised their eyebrows about him being re-signed. Either he improves significantly in 2015 or he'll be spending the whole year at Casey.

As for Bail and Riley. A few people won't be happy as they see Bail as simply not being up to it, skills-wise, but I think there'd be consensus that he has the kind of character and workrate that it would be good to have as much as possible of, so people will nod and move on.

Still ten players left on the 'possible delistings' table. I'm tipping seven to go, and that'll be enough for 2014.

You don't think he is up to AFL standard so we get rid of him? Going by that theory we also get rid of the 41 other blokes who did worse than him in the B&F.

We desperately need a running half backer with maturity (for now until we develop a few), whats the point in drafting another reject or throwing a young player into the fire and see him get pulled apart like the rest of our 1st year players in the past.

Why do you think the Hawthorn's and Geelongs and Collingwoods have young players that step in and fill the role?

Because they have the 2-4 years in the VFL to get their game right, most are picks 20/30/40, but because they have time and mentored by the older players they have a better chance.

We throw a 18 y.o. into the AFL and wonder why his confidence is shot, injured and no good…..

Not sure it was Bailey wanting to clean out the older players back then. Wasn't it the Connelly and Schwab blue print for success to draft as many young kids in as possible and sit back and wait for success to just happen, with the odd sponsor paid, free [censored] up in Shanghai to boot? Anyway it looks like a few of the young draftees from that period might be gonski at the end of the season.

Regardless who it was, my point it the young players who were thrown to the wolves are now struggling and being delisted because of lack of time and senior bodies.

Our better players

Jones

Jamar

Dunn

Tyson

Vince

all matured and grew with bigger bodies and time….. coincidence? I think not

Again, hence why Roo's is keeping some of the older players and letting the Salem's of the world go back and forward from the VFL we needed.

Bails a bit of a tease.

He'll play 3 crap games in a row and then put up a nice performance every 6 or so weeks, like the west coast game.

That still gives him about five good game a year better than a few I can think of in 2014

I'm naive enough to believe there would be a strategy behind re-signing them now. I'm sure if Roos et al agreed with those posters who think that some of those 3 are so bad, he would have re-signed someone else. We have to re-sign someone because as much as some of us would like to, you can't replace umpteen players in one go or you will have a team with too many novice draftees no matter how cunning your trading of picks etc is for older players from other clubs. Presumably Roos & co see more hope in these 3 than in others under a cloud.

As to the argument that delisted players from other clubs will be significantly better, I doubt it, especially as they will have to be introduced to Roos' gameplan.

You have my vote sue there is only so many "better players" to go round in any single year.

These three are far from the worst on our list.

Anyone suggesting we didn't keep these 3 needs to tell me how we will replace more than 7 and even up to 9 players (see below) already. So adding these guys would make it 10-12.

Clark, Byrnes, Frawley, Strauss, Tapscott, Blease, Nicholson, ?Evans, ?Clisby

Already just replacing those 7 means:

Picks 2, 3, 20, 38, 56, 74 and PSD 2.

Would we find better players than Bail, Riley and Terlich with picks 80+???

Riley is certainly young enough and promising enough that after a preseason he's worth a shot for 1 or even 2 year deals. I hope the other 2 guys have been kept one 1 year deals as depth flankers for either end.

Edited by Georgiou R.R. Martin
  • Like 6

No suprise on Bail, who is seriously the only player on our list who gets the concept of 2 way running.

Regardless of how poor his kicking can be, at least he can run and spread and busts a gut each week.

Riley has shown enough to give him another year or two with a full pre season. He has good qualities.

I'm really unsure about Terlich. It sounds like Clisby is gone, which is disapointing because I thought he showed a lot more than Terlich last year in terms of skills.

• Like 6

Bail was among our best in all four of our wins.

Terlich is a hack but he puts his head over the ball.

Riley had a solid second-half of the year.

Hardly surprising, except maybe Terlich. I thought he was a goner.

• Like 1

Well there we have it! I think it will be pretty easy to guess the delistings now.

Retired: Byrnes & Clark

FA: Frawley will walk.

To be delisted from the mainlist: Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Clisby, and Nicholson.

I'm pleased to see Bail extended and Riley shows plenty of that filthy word "potential". Terlich I'm not fazed, good on him he now needs to prove himself worthy as do the other two of course.

No suprise on Bail, who is seriously the only player on our list who gets the concept of 2 way running.

Regardless of how poor his kicking can be, at least he can run and spread and busts a gut each week.

Riley has shown enough to give him another year or two with a full pre season. He has good qualities.

I'm really unsure about Terlich. It sounds like Clisby is gone, which is disapointing because I thought he showed a lot more than Terlich last year in terms of skills.

Well said Jaded.

I am telling you the three best non AFL listed VfL players are better than those three. Port Melbourne would beat our team ATM. They have a better list tan our bottom 15 of 22. Our basic skill execution is that bad

You think that Port Melbourne would beat us?

You really think that Port Melbourne will beat Melbourne?

I'm sure Paul Roos understands the ability these guys have and whether they have potential to be developed.

The know it all critics on this site never cease to amaze.

• Like 2

You can only turn so many over per year. Previous posters have identified 7-9 players that will most likely be gone. That is just about the maximum you can clean out + rookies. We will have 7 senior positions to play fill at years end, 4-5 in the draft and pick up 2 through trading DFA.

• Like 1

I am telling you the three best non AFL listed VfL players are better than those three. Port Melbourne would beat our team ATM. They have a better list tan our bottom 15 of 22. Our basic skill execution is that bad

Some of their best players used to be our worst players!!!

Sam Dwyer was their best player before getting drafted to Collingwood, how's he going in the AFL? He's pretty much on par with Bail.

• Like 1

There really was nothing to be gained by being hamstrung* by the contracts of three more speculative kids in the draft.

Hence the deals for these three compromised but hard working players.

*Note: if you are 'new' to the draft, you get an automatic 2 year deal upon selection.

Anyone suggesting we didn't keep these 3 needs to tell me how we will replace more than 7 and even up to 9 players (see below) already. So adding these guys would make it 10-12.

Clark, Byrnes, Frawley, Strauss, Tapscott, Blease, Nicholson, ?Evans, ?Clisby

Already just replacing those 7 means:

Picks 2, 3, 20, 38, 56, 74 and PSD 2.

Would we find better players than Bail, Riley and Terlich with picks 80+???

Riley is certainly young enough and promising enough that after a preseason he's worth a shot for 1 or even 2 year deals. I hope the other 2 guys have been kept one 1 year deals as depth flankers for either end.

If I'm not mistaken, Frawley is the only one of that group of 9 who has played more than 3 games this season. I think we'll cope.

Who knows, maybe we'll pick up the equivalent of James McDonald, Johncock, Goodes, Barlow, Dalhaus, Parker, Bruce, Mitchell, Hird, Grant and Rockliff with our later picks and never feel pain on the football field again!

Ok, that was flippant, but the point remains, late draft picks are not inherently duds and some of the champions of the game, both recent past and present, have emerged from very, very late in the draft.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm actually quite pleased about Riley and especially Bail, who I think gets an unfair rub from many Demonlanders. Terlich I raise and eyebrow about but I don't write him off completely. My point is that even the back end of the draft is better than retaining the several players who are not AFL standard and wont become it without at least a major mental reshuffle (and change of environment).

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Like 1

could find a better player than Terlich easily in the SANFL or VFL etc

Im glad RIley re-signed and that was never in doiubt

Bail I dont mind

Possibly could find a better player. But maybe we are already planning to do that with at least one of the spots on the list. Then you'd have to get that player fit to AFL standards and see if their body can hold up to it. Then you have to teach that player the game plan.

I don't hold long term confidence in Terlich. I'm not sure he really should ever get a game next year if we can finally bring in some skill to half back. But just looking purely at our list he probably gets a spot above others.

If I'm not mistaken, Frawley is the only one of that group of 9 who has played more than 3 games this season. I think we'll cope.

Who knows, maybe we'll pick up the equivalent of James McDonald, Johncock, Goodes, Barlow, Dalhaus, Parker, Bruce, Mitchell, Hird, Grant and Rockliff with our later picks and never feel pain on the football field again!

Ok, that was flippant, but the point remains, late draft picks are not inherently duds and some of the champions of the game, both recent past and present, have emerged from very, very late in the draft.

No but it's a probability game and you don't improve your list by having more shots in the barrel at those very late picks. You end up lumped with 2 year deals for a lot of guys who you might not want. There's also the rookie list to fill (not sure if we will have more than 1 spot this year) but whoever you're picking at 80+ you are likely to get in a rookie pick and then have a 1 year deal on less money.

Then you've also got half a team full of young kids which worsens results and restricts the amount of training you can do when half your list is on light duties or in rehab.

But mainly the other big thing we haven't factored is trades. If we trade out someone like Grimes then all of a sudden keeping Terlich seems a better decision.

I guess you can only judge list management as a whole process after all the drafts. Which is the other strange thing about these signings in that they've happened so early in the process.

Terlich is hand at everything except kicking, and decision making (which is sadly vital for footy). Clean then up and he is a definite keeper.

Terlich is interesting to me.

His decision making on went to defend and when to peel off or when to go 3rd up is excellent.

Then he gets the ball in his hand and decision making goes right out the window.