The worst miss..EVER

picket fence

I have seen some misses for goal in my time but none were as bad as Jordy Mc Kenzie's miss from point blank range a few metres out last week.

Others of note were Magners miss from 35 out ( didn't make the distance) and I remember Juice missing a sitter a few years ago.

Others have covered our lack of skill in other forums but I will say this. There is no room for a bloke who cannot kick a goal from that distance and whos skills are mediocre at best. I suppose then if he's a tagger that gets beaten and with little else going for him I would rather skip the tag and play someone else in a creative role in this team as sorry a state that it is in currently! Best groom creativity than a negative player who struggles in the rudiments of the game!

Footnote: I had forgotten about Simon Eishold's miss because I had purged it from my memory. But alas it returned! That really was the worst given the state of the game! Grrrrrr.

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 6

The astounding thing is that this thread exists.

How many other football clubs would have supporters who have such little success to talk about that they run threads called The worst miss ever.

Says a lot about the lot of a MFC supporter.

Seems there is lots of crap to talk about at the MFC but little else.

Bloody sad is it not?

• Like 4

God forbid we had a player that misses goals from even closer....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p5p2kVc96Vs

Although your edited post does make a valid point.

That was just lazy Buddy. He has brain farts like that.

On one end we have Buddy: immensely talented, sometimes lazy. On the other, McKenzie: undoubtedly committed, but so bad and lacking in skill that it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Simon Eishold's 1987 Prelim Final miss is the worst ive seen

remember that only too well...I would have marked it had he kicked a snag !! useless kick..ffs..lol

That whole 3rd quarter was a joke, the McKenzie missed goal, the Rielly short kick, Kent having a shot instead of passing to a man 10 m out from goal, the snap from 10m directly in front, I'm sure I have missed a few

Another post from heroes sitting behind a keyboard, who if they played footy, never missed a tackle, didn't fluff a kick, didn't duck at least once, never missed a simple set shot etc etc.............yeah right!....my worse...got the ball inside the 50 and handballed over the defender to a teammate in the goalsquare, unfortunately put too much behind it and put it over his head and through the sticks...sigh

I was at the game with my step bro, I said to him jokingly while Jordie marked it "I wouldn't be surprised if he misses this", and what do ya know...

Unfortunately I said the same thing to my partner....you could see he had way way too much time to think about it...it was bound to happen

Edited by Satyriconhome

Simon Eishold's 1987 Prelim Final miss is the worst ive seen

Exactly what went through my mind at the time (listening on radio, briefly - "McKenzie dead in front...groan"!

Eishold's was far more devastating though - had he nailed it we would have been into the GF (first in 22 years), though unlikely to win it.

Another post from heroes sitting behind a keyboard, who if they played footy, never missed a tackle, didn't fluff a kick, didn't duck at least once, never missed a simple set shot etc etc.............yeah right!....my worse...got the ball inside the 50 and handballed over the defender to a teammate in the goalsquare, unfortunately put too much behind it and put it over his head and through the sticks...sigh

Unfortunately I said the same thing to my partner....you could see he had way way too much time to think about it...it was bound to happen

Saty in all honerstly these guys are professional athletes that train 6 months overs the summer then 4 days a week during the season. To have a guy miss from 10 meters out is an absolute disgrace. You hardly ever see that kind of error even in country footy. Its not like he is a young kid playing his first game with nerves he is a 24 year old with 80 games experience. He was also part of the leadership group last year and was squeezed out. So when its time for a leader to step up he didn't and its one of many errors that cost us in the game.

Like it or not we have every right to be as [censored] off as we are. Like i said Professional athletes from 10m out.. you connect the dots from there.

• Like 11

When we played football we didn't get paid 250K + per year and train full time. The worse think is you go back through this season the number of goals we have missed from with in 25m is a little concerning. From memory it was Port in Alice Springs Grimes and Dawes both missed 15m out.

Saty in all honerstly these guys are professional athletes that train 6 months overs the summer then 4 days a week during the season. To have a guy miss from 10 meters out is an absolute disgrace. You hardly ever see that kind of error even in country footy. Its not like he is a young kid playing his first game with nerves he is a 24 year old with 80 games experience. He was also part of the leadership group last year and was squeezed out. So when its time for a leader to step up he didn't and its one of many errors that cost us in the game.

Like it or not we have every right to be as [censored] off as we are. Like i said Professional athletes from 10m out.. you connect the dots from there.

He certainly isn't the first 'professional' footy player to have a miss like that and he certainly won't be the last....it didn't [censored] me off unfortunately, I was half expecting him to miss, he had way way too much time to think about it, same problem that Roh Bail had which has been fixed.

If Roos doesn't think Jordie can cut it going forward with his skills or lack thereof he will be dumped, a savage cull at seasons end is becoming more and more a reality, it doesn't need yet another topic to point out how bad the miss was......yes he missed, but nobody died, and it certainly didn't cost us the game, the last 20 minutes of the last quarter cost us the game

Edited by Satyriconhome

Satsman, I never said I missed, I missed quite a few, but never ever missed from 5-15 out slight angle NEVER!

Another point, these blokes are paid handsomely to be able to Kick, Mark, Handball! Rudimentary skills for AFL I would have thought! given the fulltime status of players!

• Like 1

saty, we all know players will miss gimme goals now and then

mckenzie is a serial offender and supporters are entitled to get pizzed off with continual simple execution clangers

mckenzie is not alone in being a serial offender

as to what mistakes non-professional players here might have made is not relevant

• Like 2