Paul Roos signs for third year

I believe he will pick a successor from within the current coaching group unless an outstanding candidate appears.

God i hope not

Would much rather hire an experienced coach than just choose one of our current assistants out of convenience

Jade Rawlings is not the successor

• Like 3

I believe he will pick a successor from within the current coaching group unless an outstanding candidate appears.

This is something I've wondered about. So much about a 'successor' from outside but surely given the somewhat handpicked ensemble cast of assistant as well as retaining Rawlings why would it not be reasonable to think the 'chosen one " comes from within.

If I was an assistant with aspirations Id be a little annoyed that some interloper just wafts in and takes charge..just saying

• Like 1

God i hope not

Would much rather hire an experienced coach than just choose one of our current assistants out of convenience

Jade Rawlings is very highly resepected. Youre talkiing shlt HH

• Like 6

God i hope not

lots of respect there HH... paint it any way you like but thats Dismissal with a capital D

If this were the case I'd expect the news to spread significantly faster than just to here.

I'm not saying it is the case, yet. But originally Roos wanted a number of candidates from whom the successor could be picked.

It makes sense that the successor is a person who Roos and the club think will best be able to do the job and who embodies what is needed in a coach.

Over the course of the last 12 months Roos may have come to think Rawlings could be that person. Not made a decision but may be considering him.

I would much rather our next coach be able to say:

He has 10 years AFL coaching experience

He has 3 years of mentoring from Roos

He has 3 years experience with training

the list and developing culture and game plan

He had the respect of the players souring the Neeld era

Than not have any of the above, or be a 2 year veteran.

If Roos thinks Rawlings is a good candidate, I'd much rather Rawlings than an inexperienced Hayes or Ling.

• Like 4

God i hope not

that is such an annoying post

the person you have responded to has pointed out some good REASONS WHY Rawlings MIGHT be the successor

you just dismiss with out even an attempt at explanation - tell us what you know personally about JR's coaching abilities please

• Like 4

I've always just assumed he'll do at least 3 years so don't pay much attention to the speculation - it's what happens beyond that that interests me.

Same.

What?

Are people seriously still in doubt that Roos will see out the 3 years?

I think this thread is less about whether or not he will sign, compared to whether or not he has signed, as this person supposedly said.

I think the necessity for an extra year will be determined on the successor. If the best candidate for the successor role is expirinced as an AFL coach (Ratten, Voss) Roos signing up for an extra year may limit our chances in getting that person (do they want a two year apprenticeship?). If the l club and roos think best candidate is someone without that experience, the third year is vital.

FWIW, I think having someone like Ratten oils be excellent. Coaching Melbourne is likely to be a tough gig for a while yet, so someone who has seen the ups and downs is good. Ratten shares a quality which Roos possesses, that being (seemingly) liked and respected by the players. On reflection he also appears to have done marvels with a list that may have been over rated by The Carlton board. He was an excellent player and did good things with MFC midfield as assistant. I think smart enough to learn the Roos gameplay and structures and to be able to implement them. In short, I would be very happy with Ratten as the successor over someone who has limited experience that we try to 'pull' into the role as part of the narrative of 'succession'.

• Like 1

I got the same phone call last night......the caller said that it was great news that Roos had signed up for the third year

Was looking for the media to confirm but nothing so far.....

• Like 1

surely you asked him what he was on about

No.....As I had not watched the news or any other media......I thought it had been announced

He is DEFINITELY not going past three years, (his words) but 24 months is a long time in footy....

As I recall it, he was DEFINITELY not coming to the MFC as well.

• Like 1

No.....As I had not watched the news or any other media......I thought it had been announced

oh and you hadn't seen this thread at that stage?

man if some [censored] is down at HQ saying this to folks on the phone he needs to be slapped back in line