Paul Roos on Footy Classified

dees189227

What happens if we don't find a successor before the start of next season? Do we go.with whoever we can get and give them less than 2 years to figure it all out?

I imagine we'll just get Neeld back in and take it from there.

• Like 4

He will be here and there from overseas, just bought a property in Hawaii and will probably be an advisor etc.

The way I heard him explain it, he had just bought the property in Hawaii when he first negotiated with Melbourne last year, and it was a factor to be considered in taking the initial coaching role. It may or may not be a factor now.
  • Like 1

Roosy was impressive as always. Hutchy said at the end of the interview we could talk to you all night and I thought yeah, I would have happily sit here listening to Roosy for a few hours. Still hard to believe he's actually our coach.

As for the rest of the show, was the first time I've seen it and it was pretty bad. Four people with terrible opinions at a table arguing with each other. And Caro... What a horrible, spiteful person.

Glad I tuned in for the Stuart Dew backstory and how the search for a successor is taking shape.

• Like 4

Roosy was impressive as always. Hutchy said at the end of the interview we could talk to you all night and I thought yeah, I would have happily sit here listening to Roosy for a few hours. Still hard to believe he's actually our coach.

As for the rest of the show, was the first time I've seen it and it was pretty bad. Four people with terrible opinions at a table arguing with each other. And Caro... What a horrible, spiteful person.

Glad I tuned in for the Stuart Dew backstory and how the search for a successor is taking shape.

I'm grateful yourself and others have relayed it as I couldn't stomach that lot.

• Like 2

Bomber intrigues me, I've never seen another coach excited and talk up another team when they really do not have to, I think he is considering coming over and working with Roos, they clearly get along.

I was told two weeks ago that Ling would be at Melbourne next year, did not say if he was the anointed one, just that he would be there, I do not really know this person so that is why I did not say anything earlier, but what I have heard from some one I trust is Dew is on the short list and Roos coaching third year depends on wether he comes to us.

Bomber intrigues me, I've never seen another coach excited and talk up another team when they really do not have to, I think he is considering coming over and working with Roos, they clearly get along.

Bomber is definitely a Roos sort of person, got anymore on this or just purely speculation?

He wont stay longer than 3 years? Then how will he continue in some capacity

Confused

Probably not as coach past three years but maybe something like developing/academy work like he was previously doing at Sydney which I really like the thought of.

Whilst I can understand the interest in the successor, I'm more interested and concerned in the now and how Roos intends to lift Melbourne out of the mire, iron out our deficiencies and inconsistent performances, improve our list and our percentage. And significantly get our club off the bottom of the ladder.

• Like 2

I was told two weeks ago that Ling would be at Melbourne next year, did not say if he was the anointed one, just that he would be there, I do not really know this person so that is why I did not say anything earlier, but what I have heard from some one I trust is Dew is on the short list and Roos coaching third year depends on wether he comes to us.

On Footy Classified Paul Roos made it clear he wanted a coach that wouldn't deviate much from the Roos playing style. He stressed the importance of this to the players who become confused when there are constant changes in coach and gameplan. Given the Mark Thompson style is attack-based and Paul Roos is defence-based, I can't see any way Bomber Thompson will replace Paul Roos.

Bomber I think understands how to turn defence into attack better than anyone. His Geelong had one of the most effective defences I've ever seen and their midfield was highly accountable.

He just might be the right person to aid that transition.

You have to admire what he has done with Essendon. The Bombers would be mad to let Hird replace him.

Bomber seemed to show some interest in what Lingy was doing on 360 last night, asked Roosy when he last spoke to him.

Thinking aloud, what was Bombers relationship with Lingy like at the Cats? Good I would assume.

There is speculation that Bomber isn't interested in coaching full time without an exit strategy. What if he came on next year as Director of Footy, Lingy came on as assistant. Roosy can then do his two/three years and exit as a consultant and Lingy steps up with Bomber as a mentor, or bomber can step in for a year or two and then lingy steps up.

Seems to fit with that 'succession' strategy that Roos constantly touts...

• Like 1

Hypothetical:

How would people feel if Roos only served his two years and Bomber Thompson took over from there?

• Like 1

Hypothetical:

How would people feel if Roos only served his two years and Bomber Thompson took over from there?

If Roos stayed on a Director of Footy, or player development consultant or something, then I'd be very comfortable. Hugely impressed with his conviction over Carlisle!

• Like 1

If Roos stayed on a Director of Footy, or player development consultant or something, then I'd be very comfortable. Hugely impressed with his conviction over Carlisle!

No doubt in my mind that he can coach.

I acknowledge the succession plan in all likelihood will be an assistant that hasn't coached an AFL team but I would feel more comfortable with a 2 times premiership coach following Roos. To keep Essendon up with all that has transpired shows the coaching ability he has.

• Like 1

Did he say anything cool on AFL 360?

"Kieth Richards in everything isnt he"