Changes for round 16 v Fremantle

beelzebub

From Casey thread:

The match stats -

* Sam Blease 2 goals 22 disposals 19 kicks 3 handballs 1 marks 6 tackles 99 Dream Team Points
* Mitch Clisby 19 disposals 13 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 1 tackles 69 Dream Team Points
* Michael Evans 11 disposals 4 kicks 7 handballs 10 tackles 62 Dream Team Points
* Jack Fitzpatrick 9 disposals 7 kicks 2 handballs 4 marks 4 tackles 46 hit outs 97 Dream Team Points
* Alexis Georgiou 19 disposals 12 kicks 7 handballs 6 marks 6 tackles 93 Dream Team Points
* James Harmes 15 disposals 8 kicks 7 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 73 Dream Team Points
* Jay Kennedy-Harris 1 point 33 disposals 20 kicks 13 handballs 5 marks 7 tackles 131 Dream Team Points
* Max King 5 disposals 5 kicks 1 mark 1 hit out 20 Dream Team Points
* Viv Michie 16 disposals 7 kicks 9 handballs 3 tackles 49 Dream Team Points
* James Strauss 13 disposals 10 kicks 3 handballs 4 marks 7 tackles 76 Dream Team Points
* Luke Tapscott 31 disposals 16 kicks 15 handballs 1 marks 5 tackles 100 Dream Team Points
* Jimmy Toumpas

Thanks KC,

On this five possible inclusions based on Dream team (DT) points:

1. JKH - 131 DT points
  2. Tappy - 100 DT points
  3. Blease - 99 DT points
  4. Fitzy - 93 DT points
  5. Georgio - 93 DT points

Viv's DT points disapointing (E.g. Harmes is doing much better).

I'd say, JKH, Georgio and one of Blease/tappy are all a good chance. BUT:

• i think only 2 changes will be made, &
  • Mckenzie will probably come back in (unless roos puts him back in the VFL first)..
  • If we need a defender then Georgio is a lock, otherwise i'd say JKH is the only certainty..

Jamar plays better when he has backup, so I think Gawn should stay.

However, as this game is in Darwin, I'd like to see us use our fittest players and not burn a player like Blease who, if he's to be given a chance, should be given his chance in conditions that he's more suited to.

And I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm going to avoid groupthink and argue that Garland played his best game in weeks yesterday. I'm not saying he had a great game, but I thought he was getting his touch back.

Terlich, Kent and Salem were all ineffectual and have been for a couple of games (recognising that Terlich's last games, both poor, were not consecutive).

So, I'd bring in JKH (Salem), McKenzie (Terlich) and Mitchie (Kent) and leave the rest as it is. If McDonald is fit, he should come in before Mitchie in which case Grimes can leave the backline and go on ball.

• Like 1

From Casey thread:

Thanks KC,

On this five possible inclusions based on Dream team (DT) points:

1. JKH - 131 DT points
  2. Tappy - 100 DT points
  3. Blease - 99 DT points
  4. Fitzy - 93 DT points
  5. Georgio - 93 DT points

Viv's DT points disapointing (E.g. Harmes is doing much better).

I'd say, JKH, Georgio and one of Blease/tappy are all a good chance. BUT:

• i think only 2 changes will be made, &
  • Mckenzie will probably come back in (unless roos puts him back in the VFL first)..
  • If we need a defender then Georgio is a lock, otherwise i'd say JKH is the only certainty..

Cant argue much with this but to add that up until very recently Roos was adverse to too much change but I sense hes waxing a bit on this now as some players he hoped to prove resolute are letting him down. Some wake up calls might be in order..

Also the team's tiring a bit. Might be some fresh legs called upon

I can't make any sense of this. Not being rude, I must just misunderstand what you're attempting to say.

I think that powers to be ( Allison/Miller) who watch Casey have sent a clear message back to the selection committee as we have seen a consistent theme on the reports. Doesn't work hard enough defensively. I for one am sucked in by Bleases "beauty" when he gets the ball and takes off. So are probably those who give the best players each week in the papers. For this reason I read more into what Allison says than who the papers list as the best.

• Like 1

Selectors will have a tricky night this week with a few extra factors to consider with the game in Darwin.

The traditional heat up there coupled with the evening dew means our tall line-up could be badly exposed and we are up against a fairly fast side with Hill, Ballantyne, Fyfe, Neale, Spurr etc.

I'd be amazed if we kept all our talls in but then again I was amazed that Dom Barry could get a game after being virtually unsighted against Box Hill, so who really knows.

I certainly can't see how we can add Tom Mc into the line-up this week, if he overcomes his calf injury.

I think a choice will have to be made on whether we can afford Gawny along with Jamar, Pedo and Dawes, although Maxy's height makes him more suited to Sandilands, so maybe they all play and one is subbed off.

I'm happy with Dom getting another chance - it is his hometown after all.

And JKH is a must - his clean hands will be suited to these conditions.

Jordie comes in if they want him to play a role on Mundy, but the two keys at moment are Hill (probably a job for Bail) and Fyfe (could we go with Jack Viney and have Garland pick him up when he rests forward). Jetta gets the serial pest.

Terlich's injury and Freo's pace means Nicho probably survives for another week - maybe he takes Pearce.

I'd take Bleasey up there as well and make him the sub with a view to him replacing one of the bigs at three quarter time.

So I'd go:

In: McKenzie, JKH, Blease (sub)

Out: Terlich (inj), Kent, Salem (both of whom should go up there with squad for big week of training in heat).

• Like 1

My changes

Out: Terlich, Salem

In: Blease, JKH

When we moved the ball quick our three talls worked, add in Jamar that kick 3 goals, Fremantle aren't tall down back, this could stretch them. Blease and JKH come in just some one that can run with the football, take the game on.

Line up

Jetta Frawley Dunn

Grimes Garland Nicholson(gets Hayden B)

Vince N Jones Howe

Watts Pederson M Jones

JKH Dawes Gawn

Jamar Viney Tyson

Blease, Bail, Barry

Sub: Kent

I would like to free Nev Jetta up a bit to play a more attacking defender, same with Dunn.

My changes

Out: Terlich, Salem

In: Blease, JKH

When we moved the ball quick our three talls worked, add in Jamar that kick 3 goals, Fremantle aren't tall down back, this could stretch them. Blease and JKH come in just some one that can run with the football, take the game on.

Line up

Jetta Frawley Dunn

Grimes Garland Nicholson(gets Hayden B)

Vince N Jones Howe

Watts Pederson M Jones

JKH Dawes Gawn

Jamar Viney Tyson

Blease, Bail, Barry

Sub: Kent

I would like to free Nev Jetta up a bit to play a more attacking defender, same with Dunn.

Not this week needs to stay tight on Ballantyne

What we dont need is the Neeld revolving door again but Roos may want to make a point after such a poor first half. I have loved how Roos has set a standard in the 2's and stuck to it.

JKH probably deserves to come in for Barry.

Nicholson out for MacKenzie who deserves another run.

The only other possible change would be Blease for Salem if Blease is finally doing what is asked of him in the twos.

Jetta rubbed out, so assuming Terlich is injured and out as well, I think that means Nicho stays in.

For mine:

Out - Jetta, Terlich and Salem (rest/run at Casey)

In - JHK, Mackenzie and Blease

Depending on injury I'd let MacDonald have aother rest, Freo doesn't have monster forwards, so with Chip back he can take Pav.

Ins... Michie, Tapscott, Blease, Jkh, Mckenzie

Outs ... Terlich (inj or dropped), Salem, Nicholson, Gawn/Bail, Jetta (susp)

Grimes Frawley (on pav) Dunn

Tapscott Garland Howe

Michie Viney M Jones

Vince Pedersen Watts

Jkh Dawes Blease

Jamar Tyson Jones

Gawn/Bail Mckenzie Kent

sub Barry

emerg Salem Nicho Toumpas

Ins... Michie, Tapscott, Blease, Jkh, Mckenzie

Outs ... Terlich (inj or dropped), Salem, Nicholson, Gawn/Bail, Jetta (susp)

Grimes Frawley (on pav) Dunn

Tapscott Garland Howe

Michie Viney M Jones

Vince Pedersen Watts

Jkh Dawes Blease

Jamar Tyson Jones

Gawn/Bail Mckenzie Kent

sub Barry

emerg Salem Nicho Toumpas

So from the Dave Misson injury update nothing on Terlich and McDonald 50/50 to head to Darwin depending on how he trains here first.

I'd be tempted to not risk Tom McDonald in Darwin, you have to be fit to play up there and you'd hate to have an early injury.

Garland is on his last chance but he does do some good things with the way he spreads the ball and can intercept mark. I'm inclined to take the good with the bad and hope he comes good before reaching for Georgiou or rushing McDonald.

And we know Jetta is out suspended. So if he's not injured Terlich back to the backline? Grimes or Terlich to Ballantyne? Not ideal.

Maybe Jetta and Salem out, McKenzie and JKH in?

FB: Terlich Dunn Garland

HB: Grimes Frawley Howe

C: Nicholson N. Jones Vince

HF: Watts Dawes Bail

FF: JKH Gawn Pedersen

Foll: Jamar McKenzie Tyson

Int: M. Jones Kent Viney

S: Barry

Tag Fyfe (McKenzie) and Hill (Nicholson) and then set Vince v Mundy, Nath Jones gets the tag from Crowley and Tyson and Viney get to play through the midfield and half forward? 2 taggers is pretty defensive but we need to play fit experienced mids who are up to physical level required against Freo even if they don't have the skill. Michie is the other option and I'm always tempted earlier in the week to say get him in the team but the more I think about it the more I worry he just wouldn't add anything.

I'm all in favour of keeping Gawn in even if the Darwin conditions don't suit. Jamar looked good forward and having the 2 big guys is our only real shot at nullifying Sandilands and Clarke. Plus throwing Jamar to the sword in Darwin is a great way to ruin what's been a good run of form from him by completely flattening him.

At the risk of being accused of tanking I'd use this game as an opportunity to rest some of our young players who need a break so that they're not cooked for the rest of the season and I'd also not risk any of our injured players. Having said that the young players I'd drop for a rest I'd still play in the VFL, look at this as a chance to look at some of our players on the edge before making a final decision on them at seasons end.

OUT: Terlich (inj), Jetta (susp), Gawn (omit), Viney, Tyson, Kent, Salem (all rested)

IN: McKenzie, Michie, Georgiou, Tapscott, Blease, Toumpas, Kennedy-Harris

FB: Georgiou, Dunn, Nicholson

HB: Grimes, Garland, Barry

C: M. Jones, N. Jones, Bail

HF: Watts, Frawley, Tapscott

FF: Pedersen, Dawes, Kennedy-Harris

FOLL: Jamar, Vince, McKenzie

INT: Blease, Howe, Michie

SUB: Toumpas

EMERG: Evans, Gawn, Riley (all to travel)

Garland is on his last chance

Is he?

Four years of consistent footy and he is on his last chance after a few games where he has made some errors.

I will tell you what is worse than errors, and you alluded to this with the line that follows the above - doing nothing and just worrying about your bloke.

I watch Terlich run around and follow Murphy like a hungry puppy dog completely oblivious to the football that just happened past him in the arms of an opposition player.

No mistakes made from Terlich there, and yet he was moved off of him? It was like having a 5 man forward line, playing with 17 men...

Give me the bloke that goes and tries to get the footy and makes the odd, or more than odd, mistake here and there.

I am frustrated because my own team struggles with this concept when playing good teams - if one team has more blokes looking for the footy they are already at an advantage.

Bit of a tangent but FML.

I know that Roos wants players to earn their spots.

I would like to see two players that I (stupidly) haven't written off get a go at the top level before their papers are officially marked - Blease and Tapscott.

Please note that this is more about me than competent team selection.

I'll be annoyed if neither of Blease or Tapscott are picked. It's Round 16 ffs. They must be given a chance now, surely. They've done enough to get A chance, Blease in particular. If they move elsewhere next season to become decent players, that will really hurt.