Jesse Hogan ~ new 2 year deal

Lucifers Hero

Great news. 3 more years in Melbourne and a team that should be well on the up and there would be very little chance he wont stay going forward. Now lets get it official, double it with T-Mac and we can then plan our attack on our list gaps at the end of the year*

*My gut says Frawley is gone and if not already a done deal him leaving may be a win for both parties.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

What does that mean?

My gut says he is gone though too.

It means that a team in the window gets a Key defender and we get a top 6 pick,hopefully our last for a long time

Our defence is ranked 8th without Chip this year and we need more mids to cover the loss of Crossy and Bernie in time

• Like 2

What does that mean?

It means if he goes, we'll be in an even better position to inject our list with more class and that'll be through the midfield.

If Frawley leaves, it'll be a blessing in disguise.. It will help us land a big fish. And one that'll provide a lot more for our club than what Frawley provides.

Great news about Hogan though.

What does that mean?

Agree, if he wants consistant finals, a good chance of a flag and good money i'd be heading to the Suns, and they are one of the interested parties, Bluey McKenna seriously rates Chip

having said that I think Hogan steps in to play his role up forward and we get a top 10 pick as compo so while it's a significant loss it's not going to plunge the club into chaos of which it may never recover.

would've? does that mean you don't have your two front teeth?

I gave them away last xmas for Paul roos

• Like 10

Great news. 3 more years in Melbourne and a team that should be well on the up and there would be very little chance he wont stay going forward. Now lets get it official, double it with T-Mac and we can then plan our attack on our list gaps at the end of the year*

*My gut says Frawley is gone and if not him leaving may be a win for both parties.

I seriously cannot understand why MFC supporters would think we would be better off without him. He's a very good option up forward and once he gets a bit more experience he will be a gem.

Bird in the hand versus one in the bush.

• Like 6

Great investment and terrific news.

We will still need another big bodied forward who also has a bit of pace. Someone who is hard to match up on and together with Dawes and Hogan, would make our forward line quite formidable. We could almost rotate the 3 within the forward line with different roles (within games) to further make it hard for the opposition. I believe that might be an ideal scenario for Roos.

Either Watts or Frawley can be that 3rd big forward (At some stage Watts will put on a bit of muscle which in turn will help his overall game)

Haven't heard the latest on Hogan but it would be great to see him play at least a few games towards the end of the season. If he's fully healthy, let him loose.

If we get lucky, Gawn and / or Fitzy could also develop to fill such a role. Watts would be the front runner at this stage though.

Working on Max and / or Fitzy to become the Russian's successor is important though - for either to have the tall forward role as an extra string in their bow would be awesome.

Edited by monoccular

with Pavlich probably retiring at years end can you imagine how hard Freo would have been coming at Jesse recently?

bet they were doing some serious work behind the screnes

Makes this news all the more sweeter

with Pavlich probably retiring at years end can you imagine how hard Freo would have been coming at Jesse recently?

I am not certain they would have, the currently have Fyfe, Mundy, Pavlich and Mcpharlane out of contract by the end of this year, and by all reports are chasing frawley hard, they only have a certain amount of money to throw around, especially with Fyfe in line for a serious pay rise if he stays

Since when is Pav retiring?

he isn't

Well, if he was they would. And he will be soon, surely, so they would anyway.

If we get lucky, Gawn and / or Fitzy could also develop to fill such a role. Watts would be the front runner at this stage though.

Working on Max and / or Fitzy to become the Russian's successor is important though - for either to have the tall forward role as an extra string in their bow would be awesome.

Sometimes, you don't get an indication as to how good a ruckman is unless he's the main man.

Playing as a 2nd ruck in today's footy is a bit of a luxury unless that 2nd ruck can impact a game (preferably in the forward line) Pedersen is doing it in a different way and we're a better team because of the role he plays.

As it stands, I can see Gawn or Spencer replacing Jamar if Mark loses form or if he gets injured. However, I don't believe either player needs to actually be in the side right now in order to take on the role of the main ruckman. Whether either player can be a top line ruckman remains to be seen.

Fitzy needs to develop his game at Casey and there's no reason why he can't improve to a point where he's holding down a position in the senior side. Gawn needs to use his height to his own advantage in marking duels and again, there's no reason why he can't do that.

The more players we have who are "knocking down the door", the better off we'll be. It's been far too long since we've been in that position.

With Hogan, he may develop to a point where he can play a variety of roles (both within the forward line or elsewhere) The sky is the limit with the natural talent that this bloke has.

Edited by Macca

You think so. Every time I see him he plays well.

Yeah I agree, I reckon he's been very solid the last few weeks inparticular, probably not what he used to be but still his class is obvious

if they can get Gumby in any sort of form by the finals I reckon they will be a big chance of winning the flag

Sometimes, you don't get an indication as to how good a ruckman is unless he's the main man.

Playing as a 2nd ruck in today's footy is a bit of a luxury unless that 2nd ruck can impact a game (preferably in the forward line) Pedersen is doing it in a different way and we're a better team because of the role he plays.

As it stands, I can see Gawn or Spencer replacing Jamar if Mark loses form or if he gets injured. However, I don't believe either player needs to actually be in the side right now in order to take on the role of the main ruckman. However, whether either player can be a top line ruckman remains to be seen.

Fitzy needs to develop his game at Casey and there's no reason why he can't improve to a point where he's holding down a position in the senior side. Gawn needs to use his height to his own advantage in marking duels and again, there's no reason why he can't do that.

The more players we have who are "knocking down the door", the better off we'll be. It's been far too long since we've been in that position.

With Hogan, he may develop to a point where he can play a variety of roles (both within the forward line or elsewhere) The sky is the limit with the natural talent that this bloke has.

Fitzy seems to have taken a step backwards this year; perhaps Roosy has told him he has to improve other aspects of his game and he's concentrating on them.

Unfortunately this is free agency isn't it...it bumps up salaries in such circumstances like this when its really not warranted going by the fact he hasn't played really essentially.

But to me he seems like a gun in the making...so a relatively smart move by Dees.

I am very excited to see him make his debut thats for sure.

Absolutely no news. I just think he's very very important.

I agree - I'm hoping he can rectify his decision making and disposal at times (eliminate the howlers) - and if he can do that he will be a much better player.

I seriously cannot understand why MFC supporters would think we would be better off without him. He's a very good option up forward and once he gets a bit more experience he will be a gem.

Bird in the hand versus one in the bush.

I am not saying I want Frawley gone however I was more concerned about Dunn and T-Mac signing than him. If anyone was going to leave its at least a player in the one area of the ground we have good coverage. The compensation we should receive should give us a first round that may give us the bait we need to land a quality mid (trade not draft) which is of more importance.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine