Our Kick-Ins

JV7

I have wrote this in the post match thread but I think it deserves a thread of its on. What is going on with our kick ins ? Its driving me insane. We have been the worst side at it since the Daniher era. Ever since they bought in the not waiting for the flag rule it has become even worse because every side bar us grab the ball and move it within 5 seconds of a point been kicked and before the opposition can set a zone up and the balls cleared. We wait for a player (usually Dunn) to slowly jog over grab the ball and by the time he does this the whole front half of the ground is zoned up. I would love to know the stats in regards to direct scores from our kick ins. We saw when we moved it quickly how beneficial it is, I think JKH got on the end of a quick kick in and goaled and the last goal of the game from dawes came as quick movement.

We have had numerous coaches since Daniher but yet none have been able to rectify this part of our game, I honestly think its a prime example of players not working hard enough. They don't work hard into space, or to create space for other teammates, they just stand there and point at eachother. Resulting in us to kick long and hope the ball gets knocked out of bounds and then its a 50/50 ball(probably worse knowing our clearance rate) from a throw in. It is a serious part of our game we must improve because in a game like yesterday it can make the difference between a win & a loss.

• Like 11

wrote about this in post match.

1st and 2nd Q we had a bloke in square with pill in hand and an outlet up the ground.

the player held the footy until team was in place.

must be a PR plan.

so i agree it looks very poor,but i think the coach wants us to stick to game plans all the time,until we learn how to play a team plan properly.its the only reason i can come up with.

easy outlet kicks were there yesterday.

just a thought.

carlton,coll,bullies. were the best F50 from point returns,using skill.

sydney were the best at running the ball close to the line.

hawthorn/geelong. are adept at both skill and blockage exits.

i think PR knows this and is teaching our team the hardest exit,gut running and blocking to create space.

its his way,learn to do everything properly as a team from the start,and that way next year we will be adept at bringing the ball back in under pressure.

its the only reason i can see this happening,because for the second time this year it was FRUSTRATING.

Edited by jazza

Well the problem is that if you kick it long and they are able to win the stoppage you end up back where you started. The best way out is down the middle or slowly working your way out by the reality is the players weren't working hard enough to get to space, particularly in that second quarter. All you need is one or two players to get to space and you can get it out.

Why Terlich often kicks in God only knows

can you ask him ( G) and report back the answer.....we'd all love to know

• Like 1

The problem is nothing other than us having zero elite users who kick out and we had a 7 foot ruckman yesterday who absolutely refused to present as a long target when we had nothing to kick to short. And the reason he didn't present is because he knows he cannot mark anyway. Spencer. Wow.

Trent McKenzie tore us to shreds when Gold Coast were kicking out. A damning contrast in kicking ability and how valuable it is to have players with fantastic kicking skills.

Until we improve our list, gain some quality users and decision makers, get ruckman who can mark the [censored] ball in the air and upgrade Pederson to Hogan, we are going to have the same problems.

• Like 2

This.

It is absolutely cringe worthy and costs us 3-4 goals per game.

No idea what Roos is thinking letting him take kick ins

Well unless you have Vince or Watts kicking in which makes the midfield one short further up the ground, we have no option.

None of the backline have the ability to break games open with their foot skills and Terlich was certainly not the only one missing targets yesterday.

• Like 1

currently on a sabatical.

will be back soon.

When teams are going bad, which is us in a nutshell for 7 years, it often seems to be reflected by kick ins and being unable to clear/move the ball. I bet if you watch Freo against Hawthorn their kick ins would've been poor, but when they play us they'll be free in the wing after 2 kicks without breaking a sweat.

Agree we are so slow and don't seem to work into space. Another issue are the skills of our players taking them. Noticed with GC yesterday they were able to open us up with some highly skilled kicks from the last line that only Watts, Toumpas or Dunn could execute. Getting the ball in one of our few skillful kicks might be a good starting point!

• Like 1

How was Dunny's towering torp to the centre in the last quarter!

I know coaches don't like that tactic because it probably results in a 50:50, with the chance of a quick return to the opposition's attack. BUT, it's probably a worse option to do our standard method( the long wide kick to a tall who is in a one on three situation.)

If there was a secret signal to the team from the kicker-in to flood the centre circle, then let her rip, wouldn't that be better than a 50:50 situation. Plus the fact that it's so inspiring to enter 50 so rapidly.

As JV7 points out, we always fiddle round before kicking in so all good options are closed off. Other sides seem to gain an advantage so effortlessly with kick ins( not just the good sides, as BB has suggested)

We are often forced to do the short kick to the pocket. That player can rarely play on, so his options are limited, or nil.

Generally I've noticed our players don't play on enough when gaining possession in the open. I think it's partly a confidence thing, and partly, as JV says, a lack of running.

Dunn should be our sole kicker-iner. What about our last goal. He decides to thump the [censored] out it well outside the 50, then we thump it in quickly to our forward line, where low and behold, because of the quick transition, an inside 50 mark and subsequent goal.

It took us all game to figure it out? FFS

It's a test. God is waiting to see how long it will be before some enraged Melbourne supporter runs onto the ground and murders Terlich out of pure aggrivation.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

I agree with the thrust of the thread and have mentioned it myself.

The delay also means that the kick is made under pressure as the umpire calls play on.

If it is a plan to play to position the players need to get to those positions more quickly.

I also see many players working into space but being ignored as the kicker scans one way then the other perhaps looking for the planned release where a quicker release would achieve a better possession.

perhaps the intensity of training needs to be increased to reflect the speed needed in the game.

It could again be lack of confidence in ability to deliver or lack of confidence in the target whatever it is it needs to be rectified to help us go forward.

Dunn should be our sole kicker-iner. What about our last goal. He decides to thump the [censored] out it well outside the 50, then we thump it in quickly to our forward line, where low and behold, because of the quick transition, an inside 50 mark and subsequent goal.

They're complete 50/50's. It's not under 10's. You don't do it every time in hope that we win the ball... It was extremely lucky.

Good points.

The long-kick (+/- play on) should be the 8-9 out of 10 kick. Problem for us is that every 10 kicks we are going there. Predictability is OK, but it just gives them the idea to hold wider.

The odd kick up the middle will actually make it easier when we do go with the typical kick long and wide; as the opposition will be more alert to protecting the corridor.

• Like 2

Why is Terlich copping such a flogging on here? He was ok yesterday. Dunn was the worst with our kick ins, dinky little play on and then kick to the right side, EVERY TIME, until the game was all but over.

cause he kicked it out on the full once, in the first half. the nerve of him.

• Like 1

Well unless you have Vince or Watts kicking in which makes the midfield one short further up the ground, we have no option.

None of the backline have the ability to break games open with their foot skills and Terlich was certainly not the only one missing targets yesterday.

MIght as well have Watts kick in. He can't take a contested mark to save his life, but he can kick. Might as well get some use out of him.

• Like 2

Saw him at training kick 20 70m barrels in a row. Don't know why he practices them if he aint gonna use em.....

• Like 2