• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week...

Flair at MFC in the past decade = Liam Jurrah.

Jurrah was clearly not valued - and for anyone who played alongside him, that must have been a message so extraordinary as to leave an impression etched deep. What would you have to have done to be acceptable, other than play pure butch? And, it was Moloney who saw through it all, first! God help us, small wonder they still look scared/scarred.

C'mon Roosy, you can do it!

I have no expectations. first 2 matches I had some, my mind was bitterly blown.

surprise me dees

Swapping [favourite] fringe players for [least favourite] fringe players isn't going to help.

They panic (collectively) under pressure and make mistakes, and they're afraid (collectively) to take risks so they go around in circles. That's across the whole team, not one or two (or three or four) individuals. It's a mindset thing, but it's proving to be much harder to shift than was expected.

This is a big test for Roos. It's totally unfamiliar ground for him - when he took charge of a demoralised Swans team, the demoralisation was superficial and easily shifted; this time it's deeply entrenched. There's also no Casey form to show him who's demanding to be brought in, so it's all guesswork.

Apart from any 1st-22 players coming back from injury this week (probably Viney and maybe Gawn & McKenzie, but the others aren't ready), the only other ones that should come in are those who have done OK in the past under pressure. Which doesn't leave much - Clisby maybe, with Evans & Blease a long way back.

• Like 1

I would send JKH to Casey for a few weeks to build fitness and experience. Subbing won't get him that, and starting him in AFL isn't going to do much for his development or his confidence - playing the small forward in a team without big forwards is no way to develop a young, 68kg player. It's not as if we're much of a chance in the coming few games anyway. He's going to be very good, so don't burn him.

• Like 1

Certify me people...but I reckon we might get a positive reaction to that dreadful performance.

I sat there yesterday wondering how we got close to Geelong and beat Richmond in the preseason - yeah I know those games are not truly real - but I am hoping for some spirit next week.

It really was an out of the box shocker when you consider Watt's spilling an uncontested chest mark, Frawley's double turnovers, the fumbling, the lack of run - basic stuff that they were clearly working on in the off season. So maybe that returns this week after a couple of heads roll.

And clearly selection was wanting since Fitz could not possibly have been fully recovered from that head knock - surprised no journo thought to raise it.

So better stuff next week. Heads up and once more into the breach!

• Like 2

A sad indication of where we are at is that over the first 2 games are best players have been:

Jones - last 2 years standout player.

Vince - Adelaide didn't want

Tyson - couldn't get a game in a side they had won 2 games all year

Cross - 34 year old reject from a bottom 8 side

Dunn - Hats off to this bloke - gives his all and has worked hard on all aspects of his game

Watts - typical yo - yo - good one game , rubbish the next.

A sad indication of where we are at is that over the first 2 games are best players have been:

Dunn - Hats off to this bloke - gives his all and has worked hard on all aspects of his game

Cross had his 31st birthday yesterday

I would send JKH to Casey for a few weeks to build fitness and experience. Subbing won't get him that, and starting him in AFL isn't going to do much for his development or his confidence - playing the small forward in a team without big forwards is no way to develop a young, 68kg player. It's not as if we're much of a chance in the coming few games anyway. He's going to be very good, so don't burn him.

I think we're no chance against GWS. But Carlton plays Essendon on Sunday night so it seems we might be going into round 4 with both teams 0-3. Surely we're a chance against them. (Waite will probably be missing either suspended or injured by then, too).

Your user name is fitting.

If you think Tyson wasn't getting a game at GWS due to ability, you're as misinformed as your posts.

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 7

Surely Trengove gets a spell before Toumpas? Either way its one very slow race to the finish line. Their lack of leg speed is a major concern, if you were an opposition coach you would just be playing an explosive attacking player against either of these with instruction to spread quickly from stoppages and burn them on the outside.

IMO we need experience & good decision makers first, ahead of the newbies. strong contested footy players in, & anyone who thinks of short steps, or missed chest marks due to a lack of focus don't deserve their spot.

we have to get some strong contested footy happening, to right the first 18 players faith.

This is true in both defence and offence the players don't trust each other. We end up with slow ball movement and a turn over. Then in defence we have two and three people trying to tackle one person which leaves big hole. Deciding to come off your man in congestion or trusting your team mate to the job is a hard choice to make but we seem to to make the wrong choice each time.

The other trust issue is with themselves, if you don't have confidence in your own abilities then you have already lost the battle.

this is the 'vicious cycle' of self doubt. which crushes Focus.

lacking confidence in your own basic skills is a killer. you have to 'want it' to be your chance. to take it on.

going into shells is no good at all.

Edited by dee-luded

My point is that whilst other teams are trying to top up their lists we are in the position of having the blokes we just brought in being the best contributors on our list. It says very little our bottom 10 players on the ground and whether they would be on other AFL lists.

My point is that whilst other teams are trying to top up their lists we are in the position of having the blokes we just brought in being the best contributors on our list. It says very little our bottom 10 players on the ground and whether they would be on other AFL lists.

maybe or it may also show that those tyopes are extra's in the cast instead of the main playmakers. every team has the fillers who follow their better leaders. these player's look terrible when all of the strong leaders & talented players are missing.

we need to try to minimise the numbers of the follow the leader types.

• Like 2

I can answer why they don't kick to Watts, it's the same as why they don't kick to Toumpas, these two lead to dangerous spots, spots that give us the best chance to score but also spots that if turned over you will get scored against. Our players are scared to kick to those spots, they have been for years, we take the safest option until we turn it over.

What is the point playing ineffective talls, you are better of dropping them and bringing in some more run. Have Spencer and a back up hopefully Gawn. Get Pederson, Bail and Fitzy out bring in Gawn, Kent, Blease. Blease and Kent have the ability to run and carry the footy and both love a goal. Go shorter is better than playing players that are a liability.

Spot on, Watts was making space on many occasions and this is the problem they have no peripheral vision at all, they get the ball and only look one way and then if they bother looking the space is closed.

• Like 1

Exactly. This is what we did different under Bailey. We died by the sword rather than dying like a whimpering dog scared of it's tail.

We were horrendous defensively, but at least when we had the ball we had a crack...

This is on the money

We tend to go for the out wide easy options when trying to move the ball forward and more often than not do not even look forward or lower eyes as first option when we gain possession. Most players choose the easiest pass off by hand or foot generally sideways or backwards.

Classic example was Frawley running through the middle towards the City end y'day. Had a paddock in front of him coming through the front of square and no pressure whatsoever.

Could have bounced and drawn opponent in front then try and spot up the loose man or kick to the danger spot top of square. Instead he runs without bouncing not wanting to risk taking on an oncoming player in front, spots the low percentage lead from Watts to the 50 meter arc near the boundary and kicks it to him. Crazy thing was, Watts didn't want the responsibility of a shot at goal (or thought he was too far out) or attempted spot up pass from there either. Frawley had so much time and space, Watts then kicked the ball straight back to him. I have a feeling we turned it over at that point and the Coasters fast breaked it over our heads for a goal. I could be wrong here as i saw so many of those plays yesterday from our turnovers.

That piece of play summed up our "Save My Skin" way atm by most players IMO, with few exceptions (the usual like Jones boy, Dunn, but also some newbies to our club yesterday like Mr Bean, Cross and youngster Terlich and in patches Bail).

No doubt having a tall genuine forward (or 2 if we got lucky lol) might straighten us up somewhat, but i still think we play "SMS" panick footy far too often and take the easiest, but quite often the worst, option when moving the ball. This occurs pretty much everywhere on the park at this point and once one or 2 players start to do this it becomes contagious. The SMS "no risk - no responsibility" attitude by most players and a generally slow/timid mid field & half back line which refuses to take opponents on with run and carry overlap football (probably because many can't or know they are just too slow across the park) is slowly killing this football club.

We need a severe injection of toe and players that will run and carry and take risks moving the ball forward quickly. And if the SMS style can't be trained out of the main culprits, then they need to be weeded out of the team before it kills the club forever.

• Like 1

Players who must be dropped...Fitzpatrick and Byrnes.

Dunn must play as a defender.

Michie, M Jones and Bail all deserve another go.

N Jones and other on-ballers need to work on clearances, and defensive structures at stoppages.

N Jones made a lot of mistakes early in the game giving sloppy free kicks or just skill errors he was not alone but I really noticed his lack of disciple early, and it cost us.

Cross was excellent, I loved his game, hats off to his efforts. Really showed he wants to play and still can.

We need Viney for clearances.

Tom McDonald looked flat, and needs to be rested for a week but we need him so badly.

B: Dunn. Frawley. Grimes

HB: Clisby. McDonald Vince

C: Watts. Tyson. N.Jones

HF: Michie. Pederson. Bail

F: Howe. Trengove. Toumpas

R: Spencer

Foll: Cross, Viney

Int: Terlich, Georgiou, JkH

Sub: M Jones

Lol, Byrnes? He's kicked 4 out of our team's 10 goals this season, and yesterday found himself in the absurd situation of being our forward target because Pedersen and Fitzpatrick couldn't get near it. Find a new whipping boy.

Lol, Byrnes? He's kicked 4 out of our team's 10 goals this season. Find a new whipping boy.

And he should of kicked a lot more, he had so many opportunities. I can't stand to watch him.

I'm no Byrnes fan, but he's the only one actually kicking goals. He ain't gonna be dropped.

Fitzy had a bad game this week and played one quarter in round 1. He's the only tall forward option who's fit, barring fitness concerns he will be heading for Sydney this weekend.

Kinda hard to get a game when you have a long term injury

Edited by hogans_heroes

Drop Trengove. Make a statement.

What statement would that be? Doesn't matter if you're not even close to being in the worst 5 players in the side, you're out if you're not meeting supporters' expectations?

• Like 1

Perhaps we could rename this thread "Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic"

How do you shuffle deck chairs when the ship is already on the seabed and sinking into the sand.

What statement would that be? Doesn't matter if you're not even close to being in the worst 5 players in the side, you're out if you're not meeting supporters' expectations?

considering he has played in the side since 2010 and been underwhelming since the sling tackle game i would put him in the bottom 5 of yesterday.

When has Jack ever been close to grabbing a game by the balls.

It is what we need from him.

Christ the club Tanked for 2 years to secure his services!!