Changes for next week...

Roos on 360: "We can't do the same thing again, that's the conclusion I've come to today. The players have got to feel it's new. Forget the past, I'm sick of talking about the past now. They've got to run out Sunday against the Giants feeling like this is a new team. I don't mean wholesale changes. I mean internally within the team. They play in different positions. There's a bit of same ol same ol. That's probably my biggest task this week, is to put a team on the field that's a completely different team. This could be a different team and players in completely different positions when we run out Sunday."

Looks like a bit of a shake up on the cards.

Hopefully this isn't the panic button being hit after two rounds.

• Like 1

I watched Dunn in the forward half yesterday.

When we had possession he followed the WCE defender around. When they had possession he was 20 metres clear?? He repeated this effort.

I seriously doubt that he understands the principles of football, sadly he is not alone.

Why won't they kick it to Watts. Saw him on his own and leading over a dozen times and they kicked it to him maybe 3 times.

PS. I was calling for Dunn forward at the StK game. Not any more.

The bad thing is we have no talls and the talls we have need to be dropped.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this comment, I was at the game and Dunn was working very hard when thrown forward. No, he didn't kick any goals and I don't even recall him having a shot at goal in the 3rd or 4th but he was an important link up player off Half Forward. For patches in the 3rd and 4th he was the only player who took a contested mark and was accurate with his kick. Just watch the JKH goal to see what I'm talking about, few of our players would of been able to pull off that kick. There was one or two other times where he actually hit a target inside 50 unlike many of other player's who'd coughed it up around Half Forward.

I would like to see Dunn played CHF or there about's next week, especially if Garland comes back into the team. I think he's a player who has improved this year and seems to actually give a [censored], I can't remember how he played in defense for the first half but he really stood out for mine in the 2nd.

Edited by jaseon
  • Like 2

Roos on 360: "We can't do the same thing again, that's the conclusion I've come to today. The players have got to feel it's new. Forget the past, I'm sick of talking about the past now. They've got to run out Sunday against the Giants feeling like this is a new team. I don't mean wholesale changes. I mean internally within the team. They play in different positions. There's a bit of same ol same ol. That's probably my biggest task this week, is to put a team on the field that's a completely different team. This could be a different team and players in completely different positions when we run out Sunday."

He can't do anything else.

Casey has just had a bye.

You can't bring players in that haven't played for 2 weeks and expect them to pick up the slack.

With last weeks line up re jigged.

JKH has to get a starting spot. i/c

Pedersen to back pocket

Dunn to CHF

Trengove to HFF I/C

If the 3 emergencies are up to it. bring them in.

so then drop. Bail, Fitzpatrick & Toumpas

We then have FF Evans Howe Terlich

HF Michie Dunn Kent

C Blease Vince Tyson

HB Georgiou McDonald Watts

FB Grimes Frawley Pedersen

Foll Spencer Cross N.Jones

I/C Trengove Byrnes JKH sub M.Jones

A lot will laugh at Terlich in the forward pocket.

He goes at the ball like a mad dog. He can tackle, and can cause mayhem amongst the opposition.

It just may be interesting to give it a go. We couldn't do worse than sunday.

I'm no Byrnes fan, but he's the only one actually kicking goals. He ain't gonna be dropped.

Fitzy had a bad game this week and played one quarter in round 1. He's the only tall forward option who's fit, barring fitness concerns he will be heading for Sydney this weekend.

& working hard.

its others that aren't doing enough team things that deserve to be dropped first. even if they have more potential.

I think Roos is/has been sorting the medium rungs of our list thus far.

we'll have our better guns back into the side soon enough, & spots will fall.

I expect a minimum of 2 changes per Rnd, from here on, until we finally settle the side around mid season. no panic stations,,, except for maybe some players so far. But IMO a very measured LooK at the fringe players.

• Like 1

The role of confidence in any sport, Aussie Rules as no exception, cannot be understated.

It can take you on journeys you never thought possible - from the premiership Dias receiving the adulation of tens of thousands to the depths of despair and self-doubt.

Teams can carry with them a sense of confidence and identity. It brings with it all the benefits and fall-backs of the human identity - riding waves of highs where things simply click to disastrous times when you can barely look at yourself in the mirror.

Melbourne as a club has had an identity crisis since the 60s and the sense of mediocrity has never been more apparent than the in the past 53 matches.

100 point drubbings have been regular, 10+ goal losses the norm and the club is broken, the players involved (the ones good enough to be left standing/stick around/remain contracted) reveal the scars of a club who knifed their very own captain.

The players play bereft of spirit, flair, excitement, passion, mateship, fun. They are stagnate, second guess themselves, over think and respond to play.

Roos' comments tonight about forgetting the past and starting fresh on Sunday are refreshing to hear because I believe it is at the absolute crux of our predicament - but it will take more than sweet words from a learned man to mend these scars.

Only these players can truly create their own renaissance.

I strongly believe it will turn for us, and I further think that when it turns it will turn quickly, but there will be no lasting improvement until some of the virtues listed above are corrected in the make up of the team and is seen regularly in their play.

As much as we need Clark, Hogan, Dawes and Garland - we need every player to find a gigantic chunk of confidence.

Hopefully that can come from each other. Hopefully it can come very quickly.

• Like 2

Changing things up is a good idea in a sense, in that it might be one way to go about breaking the psychological shackles that enslave many of our players.

On the other hand, how adept will they be at trying new things so quickly in the year? And is there the issue of the players second-guessing themselves (e.g. 'we're changing things after Round 2, that's how sh*t we are'.

As for the team, I can't see how Byrnes can be dropped. He's not the best player, but he's kicked 50% of our goals so far. He's at least providing an option and scoring.

It's frustrating that I also can't see how we can drop Spencer and/or Fitzpatrick, neither of whom are close to good enough. Gawn might be able to replace one of them, hopefully.

The last practice match played by Casey had the following players as best on ground in their win over Port Melbourne: Evans, Jetta, Blease, Clisby, Gawn and Salem - I wouldn't be averse to letting them all have a go next week...

• Like 1

The last practice match played by Casey had the following players as best on ground in their win over Port Melbourne: Evans, Jetta, Blease, Clisby, Gawn and Salem - I wouldn't be averse to letting them all have a go next week...

Would get no complaints from me.

Tom McDonald looked flat, and needs to be rested for a week but we need him so badly.

I didn't think he looked flat.

If Gawn or Jamar don't play, is there any possibility of playing Tom McDonald forward so he can be the backup to Spencer in the ruck? He's got the running ability to get around the ground and it would allow (in fact, probably require) Pederson to play in the back half - the only place where he looks comfortable, although, admittedly, not particularly good. McDonald's kicking is a worry, but I wouldn't be expecting him to have many shots - rather he would provide relief for Jeremy Howe and Jack Watts (if he plays forward) and better opportunities for the crumbing forwards.

"Chris Dawes, Jesse Hogan, Col Garland, Max Gawn and Mitch Clark have been battling a range of issues, while Jamar suffered pre-season hamstring problems before hurting his calf in January.

None of them will come in to face the Giants – and Hogan looks set to be unavailable for at least another month "

4-5 weeks for Dawes, 6 weeks plus for Hogan - big chance we will be 0- 11 at the halfway mark of the season !!

Grimes speaking tough reiterating players will get dropped if they don't deliver the basics. Jones saying heads will be on the chopping block if you can't execute the fundamentals of the game.

Grimes denying the Roos contact has one iota of impact on the playing group. Got to stop using excuses for not performing.

"Chris Dawes, Jesse Hogan, Col Garland, Max Gawn and Mitch Clark have been battling a range of issues, while Jamar suffered pre-season hamstring problems before hurting his calf in January.

None of them will come in to face the Giants – and Hogan looks set to be unavailable for at least another month "

4-5 weeks for Dawes, 6 weeks plus for Hogan - big chance we will be 0- 11 at the halfway mark of the season !!

Link: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-01/big-men-dearth-continues-for-dees

Edited by binman

I'd love to see Kent back in but only if his fitness is up to standard. Evans should come in.

I wouldn't mind seeing Terlich thrown into the middle, either.

Like to see Blease, Kent and/or Evans get a go.

No future for Byrnes or Bail I believe so why play them.

Byrnes because he's deserved it so far.

Bail out, because he's only good at receiving the ball on the move, then run. no good from a stop play with ball in hand, & gets the decisions wrong to often, also misses too many targets with untidy disposal. too much an athlete but his footy isn't strong enough. IMO' he's had long enough to make a name for himself.

IMO its time to give Blease a chance to show his ball winning & run abilities under Roos.

#edit: and I agree Re Evans,,, I want Evans to come into the flank or forward pocket.

Edited by dee-luded

I'd love to see Kent back in but only if his fitness is up to standard. Evans should come in.

I wouldn't mind seeing Terlich thrown into the middle, either.

I wouldn't mind trying Cross in the backhalf.

Edited by dee-luded

I would include BLEASE, KENT, JETTA AND MAYBE SALEM if you want to roll a dice.

Instant injection of pace. Outs would be dependent on how Roosy wants to set up.

Watts must play FF

I'll ponder the rest later!

Instant injection of pace. Outs would be dependent on how Roosy wants to set up.

Watts must play FF

I'm hoping Jetta will stay at casey for the first half of the season to give the developers time to reprogram his footy.

I'd like to see him come in some time after the QB clash. to give him time to get recharged & learn the new methods. don't want him thrown to the wolves before he has to to change.

Tom Mcdonald reminds me so much of Jim Stynes in size and body shape.

Imagine him in the Ruck.....would certainly take a few marks around the ground, and has great endurance.

Could drift forward of down back to fill a hole.

Frawley for me

Controversial call I know but he played a miserable game. Too timid did not take the game on would take mark out of defence then stop an wait for opposition to cover rather then using the ball. His decision making was so slow he might as well just kick to the other team. Have noticed this a couple times and it frustrated the hell out of me.

I say drop him till he improves. But roos won't

If I could put one of those face palm photos I would....

Watts must play FF

Jetta is a rookie and is as slow as a wet week. He would inject some mongrel but no pace.

This is one of the things that pisses me off about the VFL. Not the Casey alignment but the whole comp. Seasons are not aligned. Byes are not aligned. It makes it so bloody difficult for clubs trying to bring injured players back. It makes it so bloody difficult for players to press their claims for selection.

Blease as a case in point. I understand the calls for his reinstatement. He played well according to reports in Casey's last practice match. Put in for 4 quarters. Worked hard both ways. Gave the ball off when appropriate rather than just running. This is really encouraging. Sadly he's had no chance to further his claims. Additionally, for his development, you would like the coaching staff to be able to point to that game, congratulate him & give him feedback and then tell him that he has set his minimum requirement for the next three weeks. If he consistently plays at that level he will be selected in the seniors where he will be asked to continue what he'd been doing at Casey.

But of course there have been no [censored] games for him to play in

Now if he is to play this week, it won't be because he has earned it with sustained performance & meeting the criteria of his coaches. It will be because someone else is so crap they need replacing

How the hell do you develop players like that !

• Like 2