AFL - Round 2

45HG

After last week's debacle of a schedule I opted out of writing up a preview for the round (and I was inundated with weddings!).

Finally, we are afforded the luxury of a weekend of footy - kicking off with Thursday night footy's Richmond v Carlton blockbuster.

Richmond v Carlton

Head to Head

Carlton have won 11 of the last 12 - the biggest of those matches a heartbreaker for the Tigers in last year's Elimination Final. The Tigers only win was by less than a kick.

Form

Both teams started the season with disappointing losses and will look to make amends.

Vibe

It's hard to ignore Carlton's strangle hold over this mob over recent time - and as GC showed, Richmond is rather susceptible to losing to bogey teams.

Kreuzer is a late out and that could be costly for the Blues and the Tigers should get a win with too much strength through their midfield group. Last year's games were heavily impacted by momentum so it'll be interesting to see if either team has matured in comparison to another to take a strangle hold.

Waite, Henderson and the little mob can be hard to stop when they're all running on top of the ground, but if the Tigers can press back hard and control a bigger % of midfield ball Carlton should be short on for scoring power.

Tip

Tigers by 27

Essendon v Hawthorn

Head to Head

Hawks with the last 4

Form

The Bombers scored an impressive first up win while Hawthorn got the job done.

Vibe

What a cracker this promises to be. Hawthorn are never far off the mark and enjoy playing the Bombers (spanking them the last 3 times).

However Hawthorn are obviously short one selfish forward and face Essendon before round 13 for the first time since 2010 - incidentally the last time the Bombers got up.

Essendon have no obvious weaknesses and should, barring intervention, feature heavily this season at the top end. Hawthorn, as always, will sit happily near the crescendo with the merry fleet of tough, skilful, goal-kicking midfielders.

Difficult game to split, it could well just come down to whoever is lucky enough to have the lead when the match runs out of time.

Tip

Bombers by 3

St Kilda v GWS

Head to Head

St Kilda 2-0

Form

Both teams scored round 1 wins, however the mob from Western Sydney nailed a far more impressive scalp.

Vibe

This is the type of game the Saints have lapped up over their (on the whole) impressive past decade. Flogging derelict teams who face the cold months at the depths of the ladder has been somewhat of a favourite pastime for this mob.

Their problem? In Round 2 they come up against a team who it's hard to argue fully will remain in the doldrums.

GWS' first up win was a mighty effort, overrunning a seasoned team (albeit one on the downward tilt).

St Kilda scored a "backs-to-the-wall" victory (if you believe the media) against a team of 6-footers who are borderline anaphylactic to the ground the game was played on.

Overall, it looks like it'll be a tough game if the boys come to play or the Saints will do a job of old. Having followed the scores only (wedding) I can't see the Saints rolling a team with a decent midfield and imposing - in the extreme - falls.

Tip

GWS by 20

Port Adelaide v Adelaide

Head to Head

3-all from the past 6

Form

Port picked up where they left off while Adelaide faced the irresistible force at their fortress - and came away with heads up high.

Vibe

If I were a betting man - and I'm not this year following a New Year's resolution - I'd do anything in my power to drain my entire income into ANY other venture than to bet on this game.

Last year the Crows gave up two incredibly handy leads to fall short to the Power - the second in truly incredibly fashion.

Obviously, holding their nerve will be key. For Port it will only be about one thing.

That thing is about 6 foot 2 ~, can't be tackled and wears Number 32. Mind you, a bloke in the 20 for the teal and black goes alright, too.

It'll be really interesting to see which side settles in better to the "new" surrounds of Adelaide Oval.

Tip

Draw

Fremantle v Gold Coast

Head to Head

Freo 3-0

Form

Both teams started 2014 just the way they could've hoped.

Vive

If this game were to have been played up North, I'd have been really looking forward to it. As it is, I'll still give it a gander but expect Freo to do what they do best out West.

They simply have their game plan sorted out to perfection, a barrage of goal-kicking midfielders, forwards able to get the job done and defenders who know their roles to perfection.

G. Ablett is certainly acquiring mates who have stepped well beyond the term of "AFL standard" and are starting to put a stamp on the competition.

That said - Freo will be far too good. Interestingly they have never beaten the Suns by over 50.

Tip

Dockers by 54

Sydney v Collingwood

Head to Head

Swans with 2 of the past 3 - Pies with the 11 before that.

Form

Both teams look, early on, like they will be scraping to make up the numbers in the 8.

Vibe

If the Pies lose by 70 points you can guarantee there's one fixture they prey for the following week - Sydney in Sydney. Having lost to them up there only once in the past decade, Collingwood will go up North confident of getting the job done. Indeed, it always makes me laugh when people mock Collingwood for their lack of travelling - their interstate record is phenomenal.

Both sides had deplorable Round 1 matches and pride will be on the line at ANZ. Jessie White and Keiran Jack should be massive ins.

The Pies won't look forward to matching up on Buddy as he's done the job on them many times before, but something about Sydney seems fractured, potentially broken, and it's hard to see them regaining their spirit. Perhaps, strangely, they can find it in a backs to the wall win at home.

Tip

Collinwood by 11

Brisbane v Geelong

Head to Head

Cats with 5 of the last 6 - the last two between these sides were unreal.

Form

Geelong did the job while Brisbane faded after pushing the Hawks.

Vibe

Always hard to go past the Cats. Skillful, tough, mix of old and new, confident and role-players they are never easy to beat and I don't think they've lost a game since 2004.

That said, Brisbane got within a point of them last year at the Cattery (and nearly Finals in the process) and rolled them coming from 1400 points down.

Rockliff out may end the Lions' hopes before the game even begins.

Tip

Cats by 31

Melbourne v West Coast

Head to Head

West Coast with the last 5

Form

West Coast will bounce back from last year, nothing surer, and the Dees face a tough season until all key players are on the park (which may never occur).

Vibe

What can you really say about this game?

The Dees played well in this fixture last year for a half and still went on to lose by 16 goals… and that was WITH Mitch Clark.

Eagles midfielders simply love playing against the Dees, it'll be interesting to see how a new midfield goes up against them and who gets a game out of Blease, Evans and Kent - if any.

One thing is for certain, if any more KPPs go down, Jack Darling with have a field day (which he may do anyway). Melbourne simply need to get players back and won't compete against any decent sides until it happens.

Tip

West Coast by 60

Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne

Head to Head

North with 3 of the last 4

Form

North got off to a mare of a start (albeit against a good team) and the Dogs were predictably pantsed by West Coast

Vibe

This should be an entertaining contest between two sides who love to run and use the ball. Travelling back from Perth as well as facing a good team should be too much for the Dogs - though they will welcome back Ryan Griffin with the widest of wide arms.

Currie has come in for potentially his first game so it'll be interesting to see if Goldstein pulls up in time.

Tip

North by 25

Game of the Round

Hawthorn v Essendon. Followed by Crows/Power and Pies/Swans

Thrashing of the Round

WC over Melbourne

Upset of the Round

Bombers and Collingwood

Have a safe and enjoyable weekend everyone.

Anybody just see Petterd handball to a Richmond player (King) surrounded by 2 Carton players.....old habits still ingrained?

With all the talk last weekend about jumper (non) clashes between traditional Melbourne and St.Kilda, surely there is far more confusion between Carlton and Richmond especially from behind.

Actually, Ricky's made a contribution which is more than you can say for Brock McLean who's been subbed off with 8 disposals.

Just turned FOX on at ¾ time - commentators critical of Brock sulking on the bench and not coming out to the huddle. Looked pretty ordinary.

• Like 1

What a spanner! Running into an open goal, dribbles it along the ground straight into the post. Don't show Dunstall.

Goodness me it looks like it's happening again - Carlton cannot say they haven't had their chances. Either side will deeply rue the loss tonight...

Stop it! What a goal Gibbs.

• Like 1

Watching Richmond v Carlton, last quarter, tigers giving up their healthy lead thru incompetence, Carlton, kicking points in response. feel quite encouraged! Think we would be a chance against either of them! Another Carlton behind!

• Like 1

I don't know what I'm watching.

This is disgusting. And amazing.

Warnock is a dud of the highest order.

Now the umpires join in.

Petterd rushes a behind and it's 6 points the difference with a minute left!

Damn, I picked Richmond to win by 13 points!

What were you thinking?

2.2 to 3.7 in the last quarter. Bad kicking is bad football. Great intensity in the game - lucky the Tigers got up, getting to the G could've been tough on Sunday without a train station and with martial law in place.

• Like 3

What were you thinking?

2.2 to 3.7 in the last quarter. Bad kicking is bad football. Great intensity in the game - lucky the Tigers got up, getting to the G could've been tough on Sunday without a train station and with martial law in place.

Good to c another team have the yips in front of goal and cost them the game.

The positive for us is that we have HEAPS of injuries and carltank don't.

Edited by DemonOX

Apart from the odd quarter here and there, Carlton under Malthouse haven't looked a patch on the Ratten era.

And the Tigers showed tonight they are still psychologically weak, collapsing again under pressure. Had Garlett (or Yarran?) kicked that easy walk-in goal to take the lead it would have been all over red rover.

So yeh, all in all it was a pretty good night :)

Anybody just see Petterd handball to a Richmond player (King) surrounded by 2 Carton players.....old habits still ingrained?

Ricky ended up being BOG

• Like 1

I don't rate Hardwick as a coach.

I have said this a few times before but he is not a good match day coach. Again last night he was to late to react when the flow of the game changed and as for coming down to the bench, well it seemed like someone with common sense told him to get back to the box. The side was in panic mode and the coach showed he was as well. They were very lucky to win the game in the end.

• Like 1

Momentum!

Port Adelaide are developing A Geelong-like tendency to ride waves of momentum and make the opposition pay for it - especially on the turnover.

Hard running and hard tackling. I've long viewed these two as absolute staples of Aussie rules for which other elements build on top of. Too often forgot IMO.