Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Name 3 players you are keen to see in 2014 and why

DeeSpencer

The expectations around Hogan are similar to those that existed around Watts. That's not for me.

My focus is on the trashed talent of the past two years. If that talent flourishes we will be a significantly better team at no cost. Trengove, Watts and Strauss for me.

Watts was 17, Hogan will be 19 - the club fanned the Watts hype to a devastatingly pathetic degree - "Welcome Number 1 Draft Pick Jack Watts and the Melbourne Football Club" as intro for that QB PR grab.

Other than the fact they are highly rated juniors about to begin their AFL journey - their situations are nothing alike.

And this isn't about expectations - it is about who we are 'keen to see.'

Lots of Dees fans lying to themselves here.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the fact Hogan's face has been plastered on membership campaign material. He is on the cover of the 2014 calendar. There is plenty of Hogan hype to go round, especially with an extra year's worth of anticipation, and it is disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

It really doesn't matter anyway, does it? Would you be happier if everyone named Hogan number 1? Who cares? Everyone's excited, end of story.

Edited by P-man

Hogan will be the first genuine star since Flower. And he'll be a significant force very early in his career. He'll dominate quarters of footy in his first year. In fact, he's my only "untouchable".

I didn't mention him in my 3, because I'm interpreting the thread perhaps differently to others and perhaps differently to the way it was intended. There's no-one I'm more excited about seeing next year than Hogan, but I listed my 3 players based on their importance to produce for us to become a significant footy team again.

Hogan to be the next genuine star since Flower? Ohh yep just like Morton, Mclean, Scully, Sylvia and Watts were all going to be superstars since Flower.. Kid hasn't played yet and your going over the top with comment like that. Even though he showed his ability in the VFL we should not be expecting him to explode as some are saying. VFL and AFL are completely different levels in terms of intensity and speed of the game. Surely we cannot stuff up this development.

Im a massive Hogan fan and cannot wait to see him play but!

Edited by dazzledavey36

Hogan to be the next genuine star since Flower? Ohh yep just like Morton, Mclean, Scully, Sylvia and Watts were all going to be superstars since Flower.. Kid hasn't played yet and your going over the top with comment like that. Even though he showed his ability in the VFL we should not be expecting him to explode as some are saying. VFL and AFL are completely different levels in terms of intensity and speed of the game. Surely we cannot stuff up this development.

Im a massive Hogan fan and cannot wait to see him play but!

I doubt I'm alone with this view, but let's just say you can please yourself and I'll do the same.

I've never seen a more certain star in my life.

Btw, the moment I saw Watts play for Casey in his first year, well before he debuted, I knew he was soft and started posting reservations about him here. There is ZERO similarity between Watts and Hogan. To even compare the scenarios is inane. One is a genuine gun key forward and the other a tall flanker that doubted he belonged.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Not sure I agree with BH and will be disappointed to be proved wrong!

IMO both Hogan and Watts will prove to be superstars for MFC as will Toumpas and a few others!

Tyson - our first touch of class in a long time. Looks smooth and ready to fire.

Evans, Strauss, Tappy and Blease will also be fascinating to watch.

Roughie: Barry. His training has got me looking at him a lot. Looking good.

Agree completely with the above.

My other 2 along with Tyson would have to be Michie and Trengove.

Do those that don't mention Hogan know he has yet to play an AFL match yet?

How can you not have him as the number 1 in the terms of this thread?

You're keen to see Fitz? Really? I am more keen to see the bloke that is about to take his spot in the side.

(No offence to Fitz)

For me, it's a bit more about the "unknowns" rather than the "knowns."

As silly as it sounds, I feel like I have a fair idea of what I'm going to get from Hogan.

Likewise guys like Vince, Cross, Clark, Dawes, Frawley et al.

It's the new or developing kids, or the so-far-disappointing types that I look forward to seeing, as they're currently a mystery, and they'll be the ones to make any difference that takes us further up the ladder.

Can't wait to see what Roos can do with someone like Watts, Blease or Barry.

Even Tapscott. And I'm looking forward to Evans being much better in 2014.

Watts was 17, Hogan will be 19 - the club fanned the Watts hype to a devastatingly pathetic degree - "Welcome Number 1 Draft Pick Jack Watts and the Melbourne Football Club" as intro for that QB PR grab.

Other than the fact they are highly rated juniors about to begin their AFL journey - their situations are nothing alike.

And this isn't about expectations - it is about who we are 'keen to see.'

Lots of Dees fans lying to themselves here.

Agree on "who we are keen to see".

The situations and expectations are nothing alike, despite some believing so. For a start Hogan having already been at the club a year has somewhat flown under the radar whilst at Casey and has avoided the headlines via the Mini Draft behind Jack Martin, where as Watts was spruiked from the time he was picked at no.1 ahead of Nik Nat and compared ever since under the microscope. And is still very much under that microscope today. With it the burden of being "no.1" pick.

Short memories, indeed again.

I think with Hogan, despite some high hopes - the expectations are somewhat diluted thanks to the heavy expectations by supporters on earlier hopes before him. Watts, Trengove, Toumpas, ... , ie. expectation fatigue

Edited by H_T

Hogan - well I think u have some idea why;

Tyson because I'm told he oozes leadership and I want to see that on the field.

michie - I think he'll be valuable but time will tell.

viney - he'll have a point to prove and he's angry

toumpas - when this kid gets some confidencee his run and carry will blow us all away.

1. Dawes...because he had an interrupted first year with us nd didnt show everyone his best.

2. Trengove....after 2 years of captain really affected his performance, I want to see the player who we drafted, strong contested player, prolific ball winner with elite skills and elite fitness.

3. Toumpas...I thought had a poor first year, I want to see him winning lots of ball and be a goal scoring midfielder, has x factor but we haven't seen it yet.

3.a Gawn...time to put a year together.

HOGAN. He took on the best defenders in the VFL

Now he will get the Third Tall in the AFL. He will pole axe them.

TYSON. I saw him a few years ago with the Chargers he stood head and shoulder above anyone else.

He hasn't played fit since, If he gets his body right he will star.

EVANS Another, who if he gets his body together, could have the break out season we have been longing for.

HOGAN. He took on the best defenders in the VFL

Now he will get the Third Tall in the AFL. He will pole axe them.

TYSON. I saw him a few years ago with the Chargers he stood head and shoulder above anyone else.

He hasn't played fit since, If he gets his body right he will star.

EVANS Another, who if he gets his body together, could have the break out season we have been longing for.

Agree with you on Hogan and Tyson. I've said here before I expect to see Tyson in the top 5 in the comp in the next few years and I can't wait for a few so called experts to eat humble pie when they understand why we traded Kelly for him.

I'm really interested in how Mitchie goes, looks to have the goods but Watts and Trengove are the ones I want to see step up. If they start realising their potential (horrible word that) then we will be pushing into the top 8 contenders group and not the bottom 4 group.

Kent - Clearly I am not the only one who has seen something special in the limited viewings of this kid, very happy with his first year
Fitzpatrick - I don't know why there seems to be a significant amount of people who don't rate him, just 14 games in I have seen plenty to suggest he could be an absolute weapon.. for starters he is at 200cm which in itself is a weapon, he is solid in the air and on the ground and a much better kick than I originally gave him credit for
Blease - Yes he lacks consistency, and can go quiet for long periods, but we have seen more than a handful of really special tricks in addition to his incredible pace, for mine he could become anything
Toumpas - No need to explain really, huge pedigree we haven't seen yet
Trengove - See above
Tyson - His highlight package spans about 5 games and contains a buttload of really special qualities, that's all I really know about him but it is very exciting
Viney - Great first year, was everything they said he would be in terms of his pure grunt. There is a lot riding on the shoulders of this kid to set the standard for the group in how to play tough footy.
Clark - Simply put, at his best he is one of the very best KPF in the comp. The mouth waters with an improved midfield and some other KPF taking the focus off him
Dawes - I am always interested in established quality players that have developed at other clubs, because I have a complex about the MFC's ability to develop its own players
Vince - See above
Watts - It's all there, I have gone back and forth on him, but I feel he is so close to just becoming an absolute star, cannot wait to see what Roos gets out of him
Grimes - The skipper is not delivering on what he can do. Clearly one of the 'heart and soul' players of the group, he needs to impact games more
Howe - Gives us a screamer just about every week but he is capable of contributing so much more, I have him in a similar boat as Watts in that he could be a versatile swingman that changes games
McDonald - Going in to his fourth year we might be seeing the birth of a genuine elite KPD, love this kid
Hogan - No explanation required

PS so that's 4 new players (inc Clark!) and 11 who I can really see going up a cog in '14.. that's why I'm so excited

Edited by Curry & Beer

Gawn - should be a monster with his height

Blease - needs to take on the game with his speed

Tapscott - they call him 'the bull' but seems stuck behind the gate

All three have had the years in the system. It's time they stepped up and show everyone they are AFL footballers and belong in the best 22. otherwise time to cut their losses and move on

Tyson, Fitzpatrick and Hogan.

I too are looking for big things from these three [along with Toumpas, Viney and Watts]

Putting aside the obvious, new recruits including Tyson, Michie and Salem, on the up Hogan, Gawn and Viney and the very interesting Fitzpatrick

1. Kent - For a first year kid in a crap team he was great. Hard, determined and never intimidated. Excellent at the ball and at the man and good disposal. Very exciting.

2. Evans - On the rare occasions he has been on the park, and taking into consideration he has had little opportunity to settle, his skill and composure has impressed me. Accurate disposal (a rare quality in recent times) and good decision making. How he will go up against the new inclusions remains to be seen but he has a bit of silk about him and the club must agree or he would be long gone given the number of games played.

3. Bleese - No stamina but he keeps running away from the opposition, often to their amazement and kicking ridiculous goals. Once or twice may be lucky but he keeps doing it. You sit there and watch and go how did he do that. X factor. The best teams have these guys and they change games.

Putting aside the obvious, new recruits including Tyson, Michie and Salem, on the up Hogan, Gawn and Viney and the very interesting Fitzpatrick

1. Kent - For a first year kid in a crap team he was great. Hard, determined and never intimidated. Excellent at the ball and at the man and good disposal. Very exciting.

2. Evans - On the rare occasions he has been on the park, and taking into consideration he has had little opportunity to settle, his skill and composure has impressed me. Accurate disposal (a rare quality in recent times) and good decision making. How he will go up against the new inclusions remains to be seen but he has a bit of silk about him and the club must agree or he would be long gone given the number of games played.

3. Bleese - No stamina but he keeps running away from the opposition, often to their amazement and kicking ridiculous goals. Once or twice may be lucky but he keeps doing it. You sit there and watch and go how did he do that. X factor. The best teams have these guys and they change games.

Right there with you on that Obba. I think Blease has the most XFactor out of any one in our team, we just need him fully fit.

Hopefully it's 2014 that things fall in to place for Sammy, as I have no doubt his clock is ticking.

Whatever the justified criticisms of Blease, he remains one of my favourites. He along with Howe gave something to cheer about, when there was very little else.

P-man this probably says a lot about the state of our team over the last few years. I tend to agree with you but

one is guy with no stamina and the other takes a few good marks each week.

Seems like we have had so few good Players we admire ones who do the occasional good thing.

Edited by old dee

True, although I never said I admired him OD. In truth there's only one of our players I would say I wholly admire and that is Jones. Clark and Frawley are close. Almost the entire list have everything still to prove.

I have a soft spot for Blease because he does do the odd freakish thing that not many are capable of doing. When your team is in such a deep trough, you'll take what you can get. That's not to understate the shortfalls in his game.

Edited by P-man

True, although I never said I admired him OD. In truth there's only one of our players I would say I wholly admire and that is Jones. Clark and Frawley are close. Almost the entire list have everything still to prove.

I have a soft spot for Blease because he does do the odd freakish thing that not many are capable of doing. When your team is in such a deep trough, you'll take what you can get. That's not to understate the shortfalls in his game.

I two have a soft spot for both of them because unfortunately I am attracted to bright shiny objects that ultimately have very little substance behind them. I am so hoping to be proven wrong on both of them. ( Watts also fits into this category)