Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Name 3 players you are keen to see in 2014 and why

DeeSpencer

Obviously we are keen to see Hogan, Clark and many others. I was thinking people could name 3 they really like and why. Try to stay away from the obvious names.

1. Dom Tyson

Why? Because he really was our biggest recruit this offseason at least in terms of what we paid. Every tall and left footed midfielder gets Pendlebury comparisons but the way this guy wins clearances with positioning, clever hands and reading the play makes me think it is somewhat reasonable. I'm not expecting dominance but lots of little quality moments could be a great start to his MFC career.

2. Mitch Clisby

Why? Bit of a lesser name but his games in 2013 impressed me. Hard at it, keen to run and carry and decent natural defensive instincts impressed me. As did his body slam that got him suspended. He had a few lingering hamstring injuries in preseason last year and first half of the season so I'm hoping for improvement physically and then more improvement with game time. Lack of height and size worries me and kicking isn't amazing but I do like him.

3. Daniel Cross

Why? Because he's 30, and plenty of times we see guys struggle at 30 for a year before rebounding and playing much better. He'll suit Roos to a tee. He's got the endurance and speed was never part of his game plan so from that regard I think physically slowing down might not effect him too much. Fighting for a spot that was always yours might've taken a big toll at the dogs and the freedom to know he just have to train and play hard to do his job might free him up.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Mitch Clark

2. Mitch Clark

3. Mitch Clark

Fully fit is capable of those "how did he do that!" moments,

We still dont know if we have a midfielder who can really take control and change the course of a game, but Clark is capable of the spectacular.

Tyson - former pick 3 with star qualities. We've invested a lot and need him to deliver.

Trengove - former pick 2 that needs to become A-grade and deliver on his potential and the club's investment. We know what we'll get from Nathan Jones, Viney, Cross and Vince, but if Tyson and Trengove fire it changes the whole dynamic.

Clark - an amazing talent that will take the pressure off Hogan and Dawes, which in turn delivers confidence to the midfield. The other players lift with Clark dominating. He's also a major investment.

1. Jimmy Toumpas- A year under his belt, we might see some glimpses of why he was so sough after early in the draft. Has been working hard, and will get every chance to prove his skill and talents in 2014.

2. Chris Dawes- Showed real leadership on the park, but was injured far too often to be able to show what he was made out of. Chris will be out to prove the doubters wrong, and will add some much needed game day leadership to a developing forwardline. With Hogan and Clark to form a trio of terror, he could be inline for a career best season if fit.

3. Dean Kent- Was a bit of a surprise packet last year providing a bit more than we all probably expected. I will be interested to see how and where he will be used as a player. Kent is a player with some real upside, and could take another big leap forward next season.

For me:

1. Viv Michie: Really looking forward to seeing this inside grunt, I think he will be the gem recruit we will speak of next year, and as silly as this may sound to some - he is one I am most excited about (exc. Hogan).

2. Dom Tyson: As others have mentioned a previous number 3 pick, his combine inside game and outside class should be exciting either next year or in years to come.

3. Jack Grimes: I really love watching Grimes play, always plays with his heart on his sleeve and body on the line. With his work ethic and dedication I can only see further improvement (injuries aside). I can see his potential and genuinely believe he will be an A graded at some point down the track - sooner rather than later.

Daniel Cross, I'm kind of fascinated by the idea of watching a player in Red and Blue who I know has had huge respect at another club. Almost the James McDonald of the Dogs.

Definitely excited and optimistic about Dom Tyson, could be a huge win for us.

Keen to see Jeremy Howe in form.

Sigh, that's not an especially original group. Can say overall I'm just very keen to see the whole team out there. Whether you think about it by area on the field or age group or anything, there are exciting possibilities this coming year.

Viv Michie - because one of his former team mates at Freo told me he's a gun and only needs game time to prove it.

Jimmy Toumpas - was hampered this year and I want to see if he's as good as I thought he was

Mitch Clark - he must be VERY hungry, and has a lot to prove.

Dom Tyson for the reasons mentioned above
Jay Kennedy Harris - I get a good feeling about this kid. Most don't expect him to play next year [and he lacks in size] but I feel that when he premiers he will be explosive and a joy to watch in the forward pocket. (Another Jeff Farmer?)
Jack Fitzpatrick- Another sleeper who started showing potential last year. If given a chance in 2014 (hopefully not due to injury to Clark, Dawes or Hogan), he could become another very good tall forward.

For those who don't share my enthusiasm for Fittzy, check out the following vision > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfzWUfnLufY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that I have those three out of the road, others who I am keen to see next year are:
Watts, Toumpas, Kent, Clark, Salem, Cross/Vince and Hogan for the reasons some of you already mentioned above

Edited by CBDees

A quote from this article in today's HUN, Champion Data list analysis has reigning AFL premiers Hawthorn ahead of the pack

Melbourne, ranked second bottom on the overall list assessment behind Greater Western Sydney, is the only club not to have an "elite" player on its list for next season.

It's a sad indictment on our recruiting/list management over the past decade and a reflection on our coaches over that time as well as an explanation of theirs and the club's performance.

So we need three players to step up and become "elite". I would go for Clark, Frawley and one or more of our young midfielders.

A quote from this article in today's HUN, Champion Data list analysis has reigning AFL premiers Hawthorn ahead of the pack

It's a sad indictment on our recruiting/list management over the past decade and a reflection on our coaches over that time as well as an explanation of theirs and the club's performance.

So we need three players to step up and become "elite". I would go for Clark, Frawley and one or more of our young midfielders.

Since it ranks player performances over two seasons and GWS players have only played one season (under the Hun's criteria) it is not surprising that they come last (despite having more first-round draft picks than any other team in the history of the competition). I would not be relying on this article as a true indication of the depth of team lists. I am one of the 'glass half-full' brigade who actually thinks that we will show a marked improvement this year. (My selections are on post #11)

I wouldn't place a lot on the stats from this mob as future predictors. They make up new stats as they go when they can't get it right. I guess it's the nature of stats that they are about things that have happened, they bare some resemblance of things that might happen but only some.

When Sydney won the flag in 2012 the stats said they shouldn't have, the stat guys then set about proving why they did win. They created new stats.

Frawley and Garland. With decent mids and a decent coach who has a clue what a game plan is, these guys should find themselves less under the pump and more able to have options when releasing from the back line.

Toumpas, can wait for this kid to raise his game to a high standard, to me he will be the biggest improver on the list.

Tyson - former pick 3 with star qualities. We've invested a lot and need him to deliver.

Trengove - former pick 2 that needs to become A-grade and deliver on his potential and the club's investment. We know what we'll get from Nathan Jones, Viney, Cross and Vince, but if Tyson and Trengove fire it changes the whole dynamic.

Clark - an amazing talent that will take the pressure off Hogan and Dawes, which in turn delivers confidence to the midfield. The other players lift with Clark dominating. He's also a major investment.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

On the Champion Data stats: their definition of Elite is a player that scores in the top 10% for Champion Data points (same as Supercoach points). Whilst pretty reliable for rucks, mids and forwards; as any supercoach player will tell you it strongly favours rebounding defenders over KPDs. Frawley ain't got a hope of being considered Elite by their metric.

And yes, they do tweak their rankings every year. But that's the point. They use stats to measure the impact that a particular player has on the game. A few years ago it was all about contested possession, so these were ranked highly. Now it is more about retaining the ball, so uncontested possession and marks on a lead (proxies for spreading) are now comparatively more highly weighted, as are effective kicks to targets. Involvement in Scoring chains have become more important too - this is a 'new stat' that, in a way, measures the creativity / vision of a particular player.

On the Champion Data stats: their definition of Elite is a player that scores in the top 10% for Champion Data points (same as Supercoach points). Whilst pretty reliable for rucks, mids and forwards; as any supercoach player will tell you it strongly favours rebounding defenders over KPDs. Frawley ain't got a hope of being considered Elite by their metric.

And yes, they do tweak their rankings every year. But that's the point. They use stats to measure the impact that a particular player has on the game. A few years ago it was all about contested possession, so these were ranked highly. Now it is more about retaining the ball, so uncontested possession and marks on a lead (proxies for spreading) are now comparatively more highly weighted, as are effective kicks to targets. Involvement in Scoring chains have become more important too - this is a 'new stat' that, in a way, measures the creativity / vision of a particular player.

I like stats, but this is a pretty useless guide going into a season. I also like Gunston as a player, but when he's listed as elite you know there's something NQR. I accept it's judged on the role he plays when compared to others in a similar role, but his output was strongly influenced by a dominant midfield and a forward-line that included Franklin and Roughead. He was able to get under the guard. At Melbourne he wouldn't have had an elite year.

I don't think much needs to change in the makeup of a side for these ratings to go awry.

Trengove

Tyson

Hogan

and why? (Not that I disagree)

Hogan - he is a power forward and i can't wait to see him rag dolling some opponents in the next few years!

Tyson - I haven't really seen what he can do apart from a few highlight.

Michie - I think he is very under-rated and given time could be something special (Kennedy esk deal aka hawks to swans.. ).

Michie: Didn't get a go at Freo due to their strong midfield, hopefully he becomes a big part of ours next year

Blease: Has rare pace that our team sorely lacks, hope he can become consistent

Strauss: Would be nice if he cemented a spot in the backline with his kicking, than we wouldn't need the likes of Clisby

James Frawley - I still believe, this guy is the perfect and best FB for todays game. He is quick, strong, big tank and can rebound extremely well. Matthew Scarlett would have struggled being in the melbourne team in the last 7 years, with record opp in50s against him. Once the ball spends more time out of our backline, I believe Frawley will rarely get beaten, and most times will be extremely damaging on the rebound.

Dom Tyson - Has everything to become an A grader. Needs a good run with his body, but could become the mid star we lost when Scott Thompson moved back home.

Jeremy Howe - One of the hardest forwards to match up on. Fit, quick, can crumb and has a vertical leap like no other. Has found it tough when other defenders have been able to block his run, however once we have a fit forward line, with Clark/Hogan/Dawes/Fitz being the focus, howe can play his floating roll well and be able to get a better run at the packs. Big 2014 from JH.

Hogan - have heard the hype, but living in Sydney makes it hard to attend VFL games. Having a fit Clark and Dawes should make his transition even smoother.

Clark - was on track for the Coleman with his first season with us until injury struck him down. He is a machine. If our three talls can remain uninjured we may lay claim to one of the most dangerous forward lines.

A functioning midfield - they are out of excuses. Poor coaches, burden of captaincy.....

Don't forget that it's 80 % bullshite. I would have thought that last year it had Port at near bottom.