Jordie McKenzie

Ratsnomed

There lies the rub Redleg.

We will know we have a good side when he is struggling to get a game.

Jordie is the first admit he has all but a freckle (couldn't help myself) of the talent of others in the team and league. Still doesn't stop him diving head first into packs, tackling at will and doing everything he can to stop his opponent.

I like him being around as he sets a standard for people to follow and his endeavor is unquestionable.

He actually received a lot more of the pill in his first few years and is a better player (like most) that what has been shown over the last 24 month disaster, but he will never hurt teams.

As you said OD, look forward to the day he isn't good enough to get a game but in the meantime I have no worries with him in the 22.

Everyteam needs a ranger

No team ever loses out by having a bloke like Jordie on the list: if he's in the best 22 then we've got a player that gives everything he has all game, and if he's not then the guys that have his spot know damn well that they'd better do the same or he'll take it back off them.

If you want to pot someone then pot the blokes that cruise on talent rather than the blokes that would sell a kidney to be 1% better.

• Like 1

No team ever loses out by having a bloke like Jordie on the list: if he's in the best 22 then we've got a player that gives everything he has all game, and if he's not then the guys that have his spot know damn well that they'd better do the same or he'll take it back off them.

If you want to pot someone then pot the blokes that cruise on talent rather than the blokes that would sell a kidney to be 1% better.

Yep, well said.

Jordie is the first admit he has all but a freckle (couldn't help myself) of the talent of others in the team and league. Still doesn't stop him diving head first into packs, tackling at will and doing everything he can to stop his opponent.

I like him being around as he sets a standard for people to follow and his endeavor is unquestionable.

He actually received a lot more of the pill in his first few years and is a better player (like most) that what has been shown over the last 24 month disaster, but he will never hurt teams.

As you said OD, look forward to the day he isn't good enough to get a game but in the meantime I have no worries with him in the 22.

Everyteam needs a ranger

Agree with most of the above but I am not sure what you mean with that line.

IMO he has "hurt" us in numerous games I have watched with poor disposal and poor decision making.

I am not trying to can him, I just think his skill level is low and that will mean he never rises above being a useful tagger.

Agree with most of the above but I am not sure what you mean with that line.IMO he has "hurt" us in numerous games I have watched with poor disposal and poor decision making.I am not trying to can him, I just think his skill level is low and that will mean he never rises above being a useful tagger.

My thoughts exactly.

But as others have pointed out, he'll remain thereabouts until our midfield improves. Which I'm hoping will be next year.

Agree with most of the above but I am not sure what you mean with that line.

IMO he has "hurt" us in numerous games I have watched with poor disposal and poor decision making.

I am not trying to can him, I just think his skill level is low and that will mean he never rises above being a useful tagger.

Apologies, on having a second look I didn't explain that overly well.

I meant he wouldn't hurt opposition teams when he has the ball, exactly what you are saying.

There is definately a place in the team for Jordie. He may not be in the best 22 for every round but there will be times when we need to tag an Ablett or Judd and for mine he is the best we have for that role and from memory was rarely beaten last year. Yes it would be great if he was more damaging as well but if he perfoms the role he is asked to do then I have no problems.

Given we've recruited a few similar guys to him this offseason, I would hope he struggles to get a game this year. Last year was a writeoff for Jordie with injuries so he's facing an uphill battle to be near our best 22.

Also, I've never heard him referred to as "Jordan" before!

Crowley is in his own league when it comes to tagging. Not only that, he is actually a decent player offensively as he's smart enough to know when to make his move.

As for every team 'needing a Crowley', I'm not so sure I agree. Take Geelong nowadays and Hawthorn and Sydney. Sewell is a run with player but still gets a lot of the ball, but neither of the other two sides have one midfielder who only tags and does nothing else.

McKenzie is a very limited footballer and while I'll never question his endeavour, I'm not sure he'll be a start up mid come 2015/16.

Obviously I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong and his skill set at AFL level magically transform.

I don't really agree with the statement that geelong, hawthorn and sydney lack taggers. As many know ling was a great tagger, although not playing now, taylor hunt has taken on a pretty consistent run with tag role. At hawthorn Sewell has been a running tagger for some time. None as renowned as crowley, but our jordie is a gun tagger, the kid runs all day, tackles hard and plays for the club!

As many posters have said, he kept ablett to 19 pos. Im pretty sure that was his lowest possession get all year.

Ease up on jordie, we could be talking about a guy that becomes an A grade tagger - its not such a wild statement when you think of his recent feats against names listed throughout this thread.

Nothing wrong with having a top line tagger in your side.

Blow me away how underrated he is

Smashes his direct opponent every week, and plays on absolute superstars every week

HE completely shut down Gary Ablett when we played GC - yes, Gary Ablett.

He has taken the biggest scalps more consistently than any other tagger not named Ryan Crowley.

Barring injury will play all 22 games. Despite his flaws, Roos and Stone will be in love with him.

• Like 1

Everyones starts from square one under roos.

Those that put their hands up and train hard , follow instructions and perform well in the praccy games will get a guernsey.

Jordie included.

I don't really agree with the statement that geelong, hawthorn and sydney lack taggers. As many know ling was a great tagger, although not playing now, taylor hunt has taken on a pretty consistent run with tag role. At hawthorn Sewell has been a running tagger for some time. None as renowned as crowley, but our jordie is a gun tagger, the kid runs all day, tackles hard and plays for the club!

As many posters have said, he kept ablett to 19 pos. Im pretty sure that was his lowest possession get all year.

Ease up on jordie, we could be talking about a guy that becomes an A grade tagger - its not such a wild statement when you think of his recent feats against names listed throughout this thread.

Nothing wrong with having a top line tagger in your side.

If every player put in like Jordie does we would be going a lot better.

And if he becomes surrounded by "quality mids" the positive side of his game will improve too.

• Like 1

his disposals sucked 'cos Garland was behind the ball and Jones was also at the bottom of the ruck. since the rest of the team didn't really move he had Buckley's or none of getting the ball to a team-mate.

We seem to now celebrate players that have a crack when it should be the norm. Then, I suppose it's not the norm, which is why we celebrate it. So I get it. But I'll be shocked if he's a regular under Roos in 2014. He's a complete liability. There's no place in the game for a player that turns the ball over nearly every time he touches it. Zero hurt factor. He's not even vanilla, but beige.

There's a reason we've had the worst midfield in 100 years. Players like McKenzie, who has a celebrated game when he beats Ablett and we still lose easily, is the poster boy for ineptitude.

Melbourne supporters are so dumbed down they have no clue as to acceptable standards. Pretty sad really.

We seem to now celebrate players that have a crack when it should be the norm. Then, I suppose it's not the norm, which is why we celebrate it. So I get it. But I'll be shocked if he's a regular under Roos in 2014. He's a complete liability. There's no place in the game for a player that turns the ball over nearly every time he touches it. Zero hurt factor. He's not even vanilla, but beige.

There's a reason we've had the worst midfield in 100 years. Players like McKenzie, who has a celebrated game when he beats Ablett and we still lose easily, is the poster boy for ineptitude.

Melbourne supporters are so dumbed down they have no clue as to acceptable standards. Pretty sad really.

Most of us on here are saying 'take his place.'

Fans valuing his traits after we went 2 and 20 with an atomic percentage is not a reflection on the fans.

I agree that Melbourne supporters wouldn't know a star footballer if one punched us in the face, but valuing traits like his isn't stupid - it might even be a part of Roos' message.