WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - AIDAN RILEY

dazzledavey36

I'm happy we got this guy, but if it was Neeld who was still in charge and he went and recruited Riley most people would be [censored] off.

• Like 1

Great pickup Dees, a player about to enter his prime 4-5 years with experience of the system, knows his own game, strengths and limitations, is a proven hard nut and coming back from injury has something to prove to the doubters. Seems just the type of player to know how to prove doubters wrong, certainly won't be for lack of having a fair dinkum crack.

Now Viney and Toumpas will look around them and think "geez I better perform or Riley, Michie, Evans, M Jones" might take my place. That can only be a healthy thing.

Also means Casey midfield will be more than Couch and Magner. Seems a much better addition to our list in 2014 for immediate impact than Taggert, who for all his nice skills simply didn't get it enough. Maybe he gets a rookie spot, but maybe he needs to pay some games like Riley in the VFL.

• Like 1

It is a very different looking midfield from last year and there will definitely be pressure on every position. The in-an-unders, the quick-hands, the outside-runners, the tackler-taggers - we now have multiple options in each of these categories. Probably only N Jones and Tyson are walk up starts. Possibly Watts and Trengove.

But I agree with Jumbo Returns above - there are no runs on the board at all yet. We can see a recruiting strategy emerging, but both Bailey and Neeld also had a recruiting strategy and they both took us nowhere. We have a very different looking spread of midfield players but we haven't seen most of them at training, haven't seen a practice match, and haven't seen them in a game yet.

Riley is the N Jones type of player Roos loves: McKenzie, Nicholson, Terlich, Jetta are in a similar mold but not all of them can get a game - these players have physical aggression and a dogged spirit. Don't be surprised to see Riley cement a place in the 22 once his leg is healed.

Ahem, Trengove will struggle to get a game with his lack of pace! Really struggling to find a position for him at this stage!

Ahem, Trengove will struggle to get a game with his lack of pace! Really struggling to find a position for him at this stage!

Trengove is quality, his body wasn't right last year. The thing with Jack he tried to set the example as per Mark Neeld's instructions, he was so focused on doing the hard defensive acts that he forgot how to get the footy. He will be a totally different player next year.

• Like 7

Trengove is quality, his body wasn't right last year. The thing with Jack he tried to set the example as per Mark Neeld's instructions, he was so focused on doing the hard defensive acts that he forgot how to get the footy. He will be a totally different player next year.

and hopefully he'll have a lot of friends !!

• Like 1

On the Adelaide board at bigfooty there is a popular school of thought that this guy was delisted with plans to have him rookied as he recovers.

The Dees may have thrown a spanner in the works by offering a spot on thier primary list.

Do delisted free agents have a choice as to where they play? In other words, was Riley made an offer by Melbourne and chose to accept it over the possibility of being rookied (or re-drafted) by Adelaide?

• Like 1

I just don't reckon the Michie trade is that speculative. He was a required player at Freo.

I'm very confident that he will be a bloody good pick up.

Never heard of Riley before reading this thread. Given that he's been delisted by the Crows, he's clearly more speculative - but I do like the fact that he's as hard as a cat's head. And that he's been described as a 'clearance machine'.

Ron, are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the cliche's thread?

• Like 1

Lack of pace is a concern, and he will have to earn his place. But I can't agree with your conclusion that he will struggle to find a position in our best team. There is a touch of class about him, and Roos has already said he is a great decision maker.

I'm happy we got this guy, but if it was Neeld who was still in charge and he went and recruited Riley most people would be [censored] off.

You do relaise that this isn't an argument against Neeld or even Riley, it's an argument against mob opinion.

• Like 1

If Aidan can add some much needed mongrel and grunt to the mid field then I am most happy to have him in the red and blue. One point of interest for me is just how bad the break to his leg was? And will we actually him on the track and available for round 1 selection at Casey or MFC, or adding to the cursed rehab group for a prolonged period of time?

Similar to this site going nuts over losing Moloney, Martin, Gysberts and Pettard.

Let's just allow the kid to settle in and see how it all unfolds....

Not everyone cared much about the supposed loss incurred by the departures of said Moloney, Martin, Gysberts and Pettard !! Just saying !!

not everryone cared much about the supposed loss incurred by the departures of said Moloney, Martin, Gysberts and Pettard !! just saying !!

I cared.... and I was wrong to.

I like Aidan, seems like a quicker and more skilled version of Jordie Mc. And that is based on absolutely nothing more than his picture.

All the best buddy

• Like 1

Similar to this site going nuts over losing Moloney, Martin, Gysberts and Pettard.

Let's just allow the kid to settle in and see how it all unfolds....

Still it's more encouraging that they are unhappy to lose him rather than being a spud they want to get rid of .

What worries me most is how bad his leg is and how long before we see him on the park.

Could be another who won't get a decent pre season.

I cared.... and I was wrong to.

I like Aidan, seems like a quicker and more skilled version of Jordie Mc. And that is based on absolutely nothing more than his picture.

All the best buddy

interesting comparison. Unlike Jordie ...this bloke can kind of dispose of a ball. Gof forbid , what are we creating... a bloody football team!! crikey

All this goes to the idea that Roos prefers some sort of ready made , or a work in progress to the "unknowns" of a draft. Ive been fascinated as to the 'who" that the new MFC would pick under Roos. hes renown for left field snagging of almost non descript players. They are like widgets to him, no wonder I like this bloke Roos, they've always been widgets to me. That's not to be condescending to the players, its just they are but a part of a team. They ought not be overly important of themselves just contributors.

#9 is a bit of icing but there's still a little cake to come.

will we recognise our lads ?? Hope not :)

That's a tick in his favour then; the last player you thought was going to be a gun was Juice Newton, I'll give you one thing, you stuck by him even when it was obvious to everyone else he wasn't up to it.

• Like 1

interesting comparison. Unlike Jordie ...this bloke can kind of dispose of a ball. Gof forbid , what are we creating... a bloody football team!! crikey

Crikey???? really?? Streuth, that one was unexpected.

Knowing little about him, I just wanted to make one of the many pointless comparisons I read (Freeman = Danger.. wtf?)

I just compared based on the fact they both have an ordinary scone. That's all

Knowing little about him, I just wanted to make one of the many pointless comparisons I read (Freeman = Danger.. wtf?)

I sure the Carrots consider themselves less than ordinary !! but fair enough :)

RPFC will be happy we recruited an offensive player.

His head is offensive.