Hogan - the new Neitz

Dees2014

I came across this on the AFL website. If it has been posted before I'm sorry, but certainly very interesting.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-05/best-of-the-best

A comparison between Boyd, Daniher, Patton and Hogan by anonymous AFL recruiters and Kevin Sheahan.

Hogan is seen as easily the most aggressive and the strongest, and an outstanding mark with a huge engine. Sounds like David Neitz to me, and you can't get much bigger praise than that.

• Like 2

I came across this on the AFL website. If it has been posted before I'm sorry, but certainly very interesting.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-05/best-of-the-best

A comparison between Boyd, Daniher, Patton and Hogan by anonymous AFL recruiters and Kevin Sheahan.

Hogan is seen as easily the most aggressive and the strongest, and an outstanding mark with a huge engine. Sounds like David Neitz to me, and you can't get much bigger praise than that.

Seeing as Gerard Healy says he is the new Carey I reckon you can.
  • Like 2

I don't want to compare Hogan to Neitz because after starting his career as a CHB Neitz became very much a stay at home leading full forward. Never really was the versatile key forward that I hope Hogan becomes.

Of course if Hogan has an MFC career as good as Neitz I'll be wrapped but I'd like him to be more versatile if possible.

I'd like Hogan to be a mix of Pavlich (movement and skill), Cloke (power) and Riewoldt (work rate) and capable of playing different roles in games.

As for those rankings what a joke. Patton gets 9.2 for size and Hogan 7.8 and the only difference between them is 3cm.

• Like 2

If Hogan turns out anywhere near as good as Neitz it will be a great story.

Would like to see him sign a new extended contract super worried he may return to WA.

Roos spent time in WA talking with Hogan and his parents outling future plans which was a bit of a worry.

If it was Neeld and Schwab I would be worried but could't think of anyone better than Roos.

Here's a comparison...

AFL Games:

Neitz - 306

Hogan - 0

I'm excited as anyone, but let's let the kid play.

Agree 'stuie' was having fun with the Carey line. I do think his game style is more Carey like though.

For all we know, God help me for saying it, Hogan could end up being the next Newton. Let's hold off our judgement until we see him play good, consistent AFL footy.

• Like 1

For all we know, God help me for saying it, Hogan could end up being the next Newton. Let's hold off our judgement until we see him play good, consistent AFL footy.

Nah, Newton was an athlete who looked good when he got lucky and in the right place.

Hogan is a footballer with athletic ability and a real competitive hard edge who knows how & where to get the ball and what to do with it when he has it.

That judgement we can make now.

• Like 2

Nah, Newton was an athlete who looked good when he got lucky and in the right place.

Hogan is a footballer with athletic ability and a real competitive hard edge who knows how & where to get the ball and what to do with it when he has it.

That judgement we can make now.

And Cook and Watts were going to be our 'twin towers' before they played a game with each other. Let's just calm down a bit and leave Hogan to do his thing quietly.

I don't want to compare Hogan to Neitz because after starting his career as a CHB Neitz became very much a stay at home leading full forward. Never really was the versatile key forward that I hope Hogan becomes.

Of course if Hogan has an MFC career as good as Neitz I'll be wrapped but I'd like him to be more versatile if possible.

I'd like Hogan to be a mix of Pavlich (movement and skill), Cloke (power) and Riewoldt (work rate) and capable of playing different roles in games.

As for those rankings what a joke. Patton gets 9.2 for size and Hogan 7.8 and the only difference between them is 3cm.

I will take another Neitz anytime. Forget versatility, I will take the pack crashing key forward who kicks goals and scares the shytes out every backman anytime.

• Like 2

Ben you are a full on [censored]

If hogan is as good as Neitz you would be disappointed.

If Hogan kicks as many goals as Neitz, captains the club for as many years and plays a club game record you would be a little disappointed.

Every chance you get to sink the boots into Neitz you do.

You are a [censored]

• Like 2

this is what separates him from all the other young guns coming throgh

Hogan has the presence of Carey, the strength of Neitz and the aggression of Lockett

He is going to be a maniac in the best way possible.

And dont bother keeping a lid on it, the whole AFL world knows we have latched on to a very special player.

Enjoy the ride,

• Like 3

its great that hogan can bring back the passion for melb supporters. But lets not heap the weight of all of our hopes and expectations on his back. Yes we would love him to become the ultimate forward, and i think he has some very good talent, but lets not count our chickens. Hogan will be much better off without the pressure that contributed to the jack watts crumble in the beginning of his career.

just give it a rest, wait and see.

and for the record, if any player were to equal neitz at the mfc, they would be a terrific player.

If I want to compare and prognosticate I friggin will. I did if for the likes of Neitz and I'll do it for Hogan.

If Hogan equals Neitz I'll be a little disappointed. He's a better package and I firmly believe will be a better player.

I agree, Neita was great, but he wasn't quite a superstar, everything we have seen from the hulk promises more

• Like 3

I went to school with fuller and played a bit against him in the hfl. His stand out is his work ethic, he was an average player as a teenager, decent but nothing spectacular but he has worked so hard at his game and fitness. From what I've heard on here about cross- same mindset.

I remember as a 16 year old when I was living in the hills seeing him running along beside the road in the freezing cold during off season.

He's become a good player for norwood in defence purely on hard work and determination. He has talent but he definitely isn't the kind of guy that relies on it.

Would love to see him at melbourne despite his size, lol he was tiny at school and hasn't put many kilos on since but he has great core strength.

Im still waiting for when Jack Watts becomes the next Nick Reiwoldt.

Threads like these are stupid.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1