Hogan - the new Neitz

Dees2014

I am certain that (almost) everyone here would just love it were Hogan to turn out to be not only the greatest Demon of all time, but the greatest player of all time.........maybe he will, but to compare him with any player at this stage is premature conjecture.

Maybe, just maybe after a season or two it would be reasonable to make comparisons, but surely not yet.

I am certain that (almost) everyone here would just love it were Hogan to turn out to be not only the greatest Demon of all time, but the greatest player of all time.........maybe he will, but to compare him with any player at this stage is premature conjecture.

Maybe, just maybe after a season or two it would be reasonable to make comparisons, but surely not yet.

Comparisons, conjecture, prognostications are all part of being a footy fan. It's done with the understanding that there are no guarantees, but some of us like to make educated guesses. Especially when we've been fortunate enough to see both players at the same stage of their careers. It's not like we're bench-marking against nothing.

By all means don't participate in such comparisons yourself, but don't condemn others who are happy to do so.

Neitz was a top junior and an AA (on the bench) by the time he was 20, but I have no doubt that Hogan should be the superior player. I was well into my 20's when Neitz debuted, so I feel somewhat qualified to have an opinion.

Hopefully Jack watts has a chat with Hogan about his first game of AFL. First thing Jack should say... Don't let the opposition get inside your head. If you need support the boys will be there..

If you've seen Hogan play then you will know there won't be anyone getting inside his head or pushing him around. This kid thrives on contact and the contest.

I don't. Jack got gangbanged in front of a big crowd. I think that day still haunts him. Better he deal with that before he offers advice to anyone else.

god this shirts me

he lies awake screaming about how he got tackled that one time and bounced up immediately to receive a free kick. It's like he was in Vietnam.

get real FCS

• Like 8

Comparisons, conjecture, prognostications are all part of being a footy fan. It's done with the understanding that there are no guarantees, but some of us like to make educated guesses. Especially when we've been fortunate enough to see both players at the same stage of their careers. It's not like we're bench-marking against nothing.

By all means don't participate in such comparisons yourself, but don't condemn others who are happy to do so.

Neitz was a top junior and an AA (on the bench) by the time he was 20, but I have no doubt that Hogan should be the superior player. I was well into my 20's when Neitz debuted, so I feel somewhat qualified to have an opinion.

As stated previously anytime you get an opportunity to bag Neitz you have done so

What makes you qualified to judge or have an opinion when you are clearly an arrogant idiot

I saw Nietz and Schwartz when they played in Melbournes Reserves.

They both dominated the competition before they were picked in the seniors.

White headbands were big in that period.

Nietz and Scwartz were learning from CHB and CHF in a good team.(premiers from memory)

Hogan has a long way to go before being mentioned with the greats.

Neitz debuted in the backline and became a great on the forwardline. Maybe Hogan can be our greatest ever fullback?

As stated previously anytime you get an opportunity to bag Neitz you have done so

What makes you qualified to judge or have an opinion when you are clearly an arrogant idiot

I've read this thread start to finish, and I conclude that anyone who thinks Ben-Hur has bagged Neitz has a severe reading comprehension problem.

• Like 4

Not the backline.

High half forward with stints in the middle for 2014.

I would love to see what he can do in the middle.

The forward line is destined to be his for a decade but while he is being groomed for that - I really think it would be exciting for us, er, him, to be put in the midfield.

Agree

Hogan, Howe and Watts rotating through middle / forward line would add a new dimension to both areas that may cause the opposition some issues...

To every so called Dee Supporter who has bagged David Neitz in any way you should be totally disgusted with yourself.

Ben Hur & Curry & Beer top of the list of [censored]

Neitz provided a contest every time he got near the ball and was a gun.

From the moment the big fellow was forced to retire we turned into a crap team

Hopefully young Hogan has a career as good but to put pressure on a kid who has kicked 30 odd goals in the VFL is utter stupidity

Not sure where they have bagged Neitz ? All I am seeing is honest appraisal with no malice ( except from someone you didnt name).

Neitz is undoubtedly a champion of our club. However with unbiased reflection, I wouldn't put him in the class of other forwards such as Dunstall, Carey and Lockett. He was great but he wasn't a superstar of the AFL. Whilst we don't want to pressure the kid we are crying out for a superstar and to say we are hoping that Hogan turns out better than Neitz is not a criticism of Neitz's contribution - it is more a desire that Hogan' s career goes one step further than Neitz's .

Neitz debuted in the backline and became a great on the forwardline. Maybe Hogan can be our greatest ever fullback?

Not full back but if we had a fully fit squad over the next couple seasons then I see no reason why Jesse couldn't become a fantastic CHB.

That leaves Chip at FB where he is his best and if Fitzy continues to show a bit he will be the forward who can chop out in the ruck and leave Mitch at FF.

But in all honesty, I would just be happy to see him play at least a dozen games and maybe crack open a couple packs. I can' think of anything that will would get me up and about more than seeing Jesse, Mitchy & Dawsey just strutting (with bulk amounts of swagger) out on the ground bumping a few opposition players on there way to there positions.

god this shirts me

he lies awake screaming about how he got tackled that one time and bounced up immediately to receive a free kick. It's like he was in Vietnam.

get real FCS

It wasn't the tackle. That in isolation was nothing. Taken with the media pressure in the weeks leading up to the game (why don't they play him? He's #1 pick they have to play him), the idiocy of the club to use our biggest game that year to debut him when he wasn't ready, and the cringeworthy introduction by the club of the new messiah as he ran out, then the tackle was huge. Those three Collingwood players were only minor participants in the gangbang - most of the AFL world were in the line.

I doubt he could offer anything to Hogan other than to wish him the complete opposite of what he was dealt.

It wasn't the tackle. That in isolation was nothing. Taken with the media pressure in the weeks leading up to the game (why don't they play him? He's #1 pick they have to play him), the idiocy of the club to use our biggest game that year to debut him when he wasn't ready, and the cringeworthy introduction by the club of the new messiah as he ran out, then the tackle was huge. Those three Collingwood players were only minor participants in the gangbang - most of the AFL world were in the line.

I doubt he could offer anything to Hogan other than to wish him the complete opposite of what he was dealt.

but how has any of that affected him in the past let alone now, for you to say 'it still haunts him'? I have been asking for somebody to explain this myth to me for years: what is the relationship between having a big build up to your debut and your subsequent on-field performance?

but how has any of that affected him in the past let alone now, for you to say 'it still haunts him'? I have been asking for somebody to explain this myth to me for years: what is the relationship between having a big build up to your debut and your subsequent on-field performance?

The fact that he still plays like a kid in a man's game suggests it to me. Occam's razor. Of course he could have just been born a pea heart, but it's pretty hard to ignore that first year when his subsequent style shows such glimpses of talent and so little confidence in himself.

The fact that he still plays like a kid in a man's game suggests it to me. Occam's razor. Of course he could have just been born a pea heart, but it's pretty hard to ignore that first year when his subsequent style shows such glimpses of talent and so little confidence in himself.

In Roos I trust. Jack Watts is such an opportunity for him, as are the Jacks Viney, Trengove, Grimes, and Fitzy, and of course Hogan. These guys are all potentially elite footballers. No wonder Roos is excited. we are coming from such a low base of incompetence

• Like 1

Hopefully Jack watts has a chat with Hogan about his first game of AFL. First thing Jack should say... Don't let the opposition get inside your head. If you need support the boys will be there..

LOl @ the though of the Saints players trying to rough up Hogan

They could sand 5 guys over to trry and rough him up and he will put them all in hospital

Kid is an absolute beast and the opposition will be petrified of him, the same way they were of Barry Hall and Tony Lockett

• Like 1

again, I am not trying to be deliberately antagonistic, but you haven't explained the link - the media and the club created some hype building up to his first appearance.. how does that translate to a lack of confidence since? He felt/feels like he has a lot to live up to, and therefore is afraid of making a mistake, so he plays without backing himself.. I don't know, I am trying to answer it for you? Can you clarify?

LOl @ the though of the Saints players trying to rough up Hogan

They could sand 5 guys over to trry and rough him up and he will put them all in hospital

Kid is an absolute beast and the opposition will be petrified of him, the same way they were of Barry Hall and Tony Lockett

And David Neitz...