How much football have Demonland members played?

Nasher

Your footballing prowess  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How so? Girls footy really is rougher than boys footy. They smash each other like crazy.

Actually, I'm gonna agree with you Twistie. I dated a girl that played for the Muggars (Melb Uni) and they went hard at it. Skill level not great, but fantastic enthusiasm and love for the game. Was fun to watch.

I played some school footy and then u16-u18 eastern districts footy league. Was pretty rough and wild back then, not really my strengths unfortunately. When I mentioned in conversation where I played people often replied with "Oh really? Show us your tatts". This was when mostly crims, sailors, carnies and Islanders had ink. Highlight was having Barry Rawlings take training for a few weeks towards the end of his career. We were shite.

Edit. Finally figured how to return your avatar pic Bitty and get your sarcastic mojo back into gear?

Edited by Moonshadow

Actually, I'm gonna agree with you Twistie. I dated a girl that played for the Muggars (Melb Uni) and they went hard at it. Skill level not great, but fantastic enthusiasm and love for the game. Was fun to watch.

I played some school footy and then u16-u18 eastern districts footy league. Was pretty rough and wild back then, not really my strengths unfortunately. When I mentioned in conversation where I played people often replied with "Oh really? Show us your tatts". This was when mostly crims, sailors, carnies and Islanders had ink. Highlight was having Barry Rawlings take training for a few weeks towards the end of his career. We were shite.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Worked through St Peters, then North Blackburn in the eastern suburban churches league - not many 'churchy' types played there.

No teeth and home made tatts were the order of the day.

Played a couple of years in the Goulburn Valley for Echuca, earning about 300 dollars a game....pretty good paper for the 80s!

Gave up just before our first child was born......well over 250 games of suburban and country footy. Still have the mangled fingers ;)

Hey Jumbo

I played 175 games for Saint Andrews Box Hill, next door to Saint Peters, I think. Are we talking Springfield Road Box Hill? We took over your oval in 78 and managed to win a flag in 79. You guys were in A grade I think, we were in C grade then up to B grade before we folded a year later after winning 2 flags. Our social secretary did a runner with all the social club proceeds as I remember

Worked through St Peters, then North Blackburn in the eastern suburban churches league - not many 'churchy' types played there.

No teeth and home made tatts were the order of the day.

Played a couple of years in the Goulburn Valley for Echuca, earning about 300 dollars a game....pretty good paper for the 80s!

Gave up just before our first child was born......well over 250 games of suburban and country footy. Still have the mangled fingers ;)

Hey Jumbo

I played 175 games for Saint Andrews Box Hill, next door to Saint Peters, I think. Are we talking Springfield Road Box Hill? We took over your oval in 78 and managed to win a flag in 79. You guys were in A grade I think, we were in C grade then up to B grade before we folded a year later after winning 2 flags. Our social secretary did a runner with all the social club proceeds as I remember

Did you play with Brian Cook?

edit: not sure if you were there at the time but he played his junior football with St Andrews.

Edited by rjay

Played school/ iner school footy (APS) for a couple of years.

Then ran the boundary in the amateurs for a couple of years before heading OS.

Did you play with Brian Cook?

Yes but it was school footy at Box Hill High!

Started playing both codes (Soccer & Footy) as a kid after immigrating from Ireland not much of a change from GAA, played juniors in Perth playing at Subiaco's development squads and colts. At 17 was forced to make a very tough choice between the two codes. Fathers influence saw me choose the round ball game and headed to Europe and played over there for 4 years before starting an apprenticeship late and playing in local leagues. Returned to Perth with my wife in 1996 shiftwork played havoc with team sport and played amatuers before doing a knee, which resulted in me taking up triathlons as part of the strengthening process.

Ended up getting involved off field and just do non impact sport myself, the body is shot. Have to say love watching young kids playing now and watch WAFL, local development squads, PSA (Private School footy) colts and anything I can. Great following kids from a young age and watching the progression you are always surprised with who ends up making it and 90% of the time it's not the kid you think it will be.

I do often think back to what would have happened had I made a different choice back when I was young but that is life, would not have met my wife and had two wonderful boys had I made that choice.

• Like 9

Handy player...

Yes a very handy player to have on your side. He had a great left jab and right hook if there was trouble as I remember it. Did you happen to play around the area at the time?

Retired at 35 (4 years) all up 30 consecutive seasons! Started as a 5 year old playing Balwyn under 10's. Junior footy at Balwyn/school footy in APS, got to under17s at Hawthorn the year before they scrapped the under 19 system ( to start the TAC cup). Ammo's at Old Scotch and Old Camberwell. 2 years in playing in Broken Hill then finally 10 years in Nth Queensland. A few premierships along the way - out of footy circles since 2009. Reckon it's about time to start some coaching and pass on some of the footy knowledge

• Like 2

Yes a very handy player to have on your side. He had a great left jab and right hook if there was trouble as I remember it. Did you happen to play around the area at the time?

Yep, would have played with you at Box Hill and played a lot of footy with the Pioneers.

Brian could certainly take care of himself, I think it was a game out Heidelberg way when his skills came in handy. I wouldn't want to be coming up against him and Balmy at Geelong.

Started playing both codes (Soccer & Footy) as a kid after immigrating from Ireland not much of a change from GAA, played juniors in Perth playing at Subiaco's development squads and colts. At 17 was forced to make a very tough choice between the two codes. Fathers influence saw me choose the round ball game and headed to Europe and played over there for 4 years before starting an apprenticeship late and playing in local leagues. Returned to Perth with my wife in 1996 shiftwork played havoc with team sport and played amatuers before doing a knee, which resulted in me taking up triathlons as part of the strengthening process.

Ended up getting involved off field and just do non impact sport myself, the body is shot. Have to say love watching young kids playing now and watch WAFL, local development squads, PSA (Private School footy) colts and anything I can. Great following kids from a young age and watching the progression you are always surprised with who ends up making it and 90% of the time it's not the kid you think it will be.

I do often think back to what would have happened had I made a different choice back when I was young but that is life, would not have met my wife and had two wonderful boys had I made that choice.

Great story.

I too was given many chances to go the next step further. Even when i was at Coburg the richmond football club gave alot of us VFL players a chance to train with them which was by far the most amazing experience rubbing shoulders with Ben Cousins and Brett Deledio.

Though i got caught up with the Melbourne Nightlife and was much more interested in living the semi pro life by partying hard and girls!

I do feel for players that cant handle the demands of AFL footy. Way too much peer pressure and people leading you astray.

Some have the natural desire for AFL some dont.

Very happy back playing with my best mates now.

Edited by dazzledavey36

Never played! Came over to Oz in my early 30s and fell in love with the game, but a bit old to get involved. Would've loved to give it a crack, tho'. I played a fair bit of soccer, wherever I lived, and my claim to fame is scoring a goal in the French FA Cup (ultra preliminary round!).

• Like 6