Jack Fitzpatrick 2014

dazzledavey36

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-10-22/fitzy-adjusts-to-lifechanging-situation

One of the most impressive and moving interviews I have seen for a long time. This bloke has beaten the odds to play well for us this year. Reeks of leadership and is a smart character.

Roosy is a big fan of this bloke and I cannot wait for him to take his game to another level next year!

• Like 3

I loved him already due to his efforts on the ground. Having seen that interview now, it's blown out to a full-on man crush. What a legend.

Also - nowhere near as ugly as I expected. Once the mouthguard is out his face returns to a vaguely normal shape.

Edited by autocol
  • Like 1

Very impressive both as a person, and as an incredibly mobile, skilled tall.

A pretty rare combination.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed all these short off-season interviews with the MFC players, and this is one is my favourite. I really hope we can find a regular place for Fitzy in our best 22, but it's hard to find a way unless Hogan goes back. I'm glad Paul Roos is coach and head selector!

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed all these short off-season interviews with the MFC players, and this is one is my favourite. I really hope we can find a regular place for Fitzy in our best 22, but it's hard to find a way unless Hogan goes back. I'm glad Paul Roos is coach and head selector!

I think Fitzy needs to reinvent his game before Hogan DOF.

Sometimes its just 5 into 4 :unsure:

You don't want to realise your investment before it maxes out. He is developing very nicely as a key tall.

Must hold if at all possible.

• Like 3

A couple of left field suggestions (which those of you who don't like looking outside the box will think outrageous - if i didn't get scorn from these suggestions i'd think our supporter base might have - heaven forbid - become creative).

Fitzy is a very unusual player. He was an elite junior, where he absolutely dominated, but his well publicised health issues have held him back since then. We drafted him at 54, and he showed little for the first two years. This year, as he explained in the interview, he thought he was going to not get another contract so relaxed and enjoyed what he liked most ie play footy. And in the last 10 games he was usually in our four or five best.

Fitzy is 200cm (6'7"), but he is one of our best kicks for goal, he is a good overhead mark, he is also an elite runner, both over 50m and endurance, and if you haven't seen him train you should - he is something to behold. In fact his running both in the short form and long term, and his endurance, beats most of our mid fielders.

Why would we not:

1. play him in the mid field either on the wing or centre; or
  2. in the backline, as the second tall back, preferably at CHB where he can use his pace to break the lines, and use his kicking skills to advantage.

Personally, i think he would be very suited to the Centre, but im sure most Demon fans on here will think i'm just an ignoramous, or delusional.

He would be a very significant addition to our midfield, which means he would add to our midfield deficiencies rather than subtract to them.

Edited by Dees2014
  • Like 1

Dees2014 - it would certainly be "out of the square" to try him as a mid/winger, but he has pace, strength, endurance and obviously height. Could be an awesome matchup.

Roos has a knack fore unusual. Maybe this could be one.

if you haven't seen him train you should - he is something to behold.

Because he Falcons himself every other session!?

We know he has speed; if he's got elite endurance, and this is news to me, then (I'm going to say it) a Goodes style midfield role beckons.

• Like 1

I think he will rotate with Watts, and Howe add tall players on the wing and into the forward when required.

Ideally moving forward we have Gawn in the ruck. If we want to play Clark, Dawes, Hogan and Fitz, one of then had to be our relief ruck as you could not carry another ruck without effectively playing with one less on the bench. Dawes doesn't pay Rick. Hogan would be wasted and we have concerns about Mitch.

My big question is can you develop both Fitzpatrick's ability to play as a midfielder AND develop his ruck work? Or are the differences in skill sets and mind sets too great?

It would be great if he could use his speed and height on a wing then drop into the centre as a relief ruckman.

The only other option long term is if Hogan ends up down back, which fees up a forward pocket/flank for Fitz whet he can rotate between forward and ruck.

I can see him running off a half back flank after a brilliant intercept and then spearing a pass directly on to an opposition players [censored] in the forward 50.

I can see him running off a half back flank after a brilliant intercept and then spearing a pass directly on to an opposition players [censored] in the forward 50.

Mr McQueen

I get the impression that you don't rate Fitzy's disposal, and that you think that our current HB options offer better disposal? Correct?

Mr McQueen

I get the impression that you don't rate Fitzy's disposal, and that you think that our current HB options offer better disposal? Correct?

Not really but I do think he has the most potential to pick the worst option. His clip showed that beautiful lace out pass to Howe so I know he can kick the pill okay..

More composure will result in a much better player.

Can we play with 4 talls in the forward line?

Is it worth giving Fitz some experience in the backline at Casey for some depth?

His pace (just not his kicking) out of the backline could be impressive.

You are assuming that there are not going to be injuries to Dawes and or Clark.

Dawes is still not good and Clark has a big question mark over him.

Don't assume that he wont perform better than Dawes.

It might be Dawes looking for a spot when his body comes good.

• Like 1

Not really but I do think he has the most potential to pick the worst option. His clip showed that beautiful lace out pass to Howe so I know he can kick the pill okay..

More composure will result in a much better player.

And what is your basis for that belief? More likely than McDonald, Clisby, Grimes, Nicholson, Terlich????

Will be the next Westhoff, and will be star forward.

Why does he have to be the next anyone ? How about just being the first Jack Fitzpatrick. He has a pretty unique set of attributes - height, speed and agility.

• Like 1