Bombers after Sylvia

stuie

It’s universally accepted that Colin hasn’t lived up to his potential, and it’s fair to say probably won’t ever meet those expectations. At some point we have to accept the player he is and forget what we hoped he would be. 157 games is a pretty good sample size.

That said, he was still one of our most productive midfield rotation players this year. I’m not sure we’ll easily replace his 19 touches, 4.5 tackles a game. Allied to that is his one of the few players who generates run and carry along with consistent inside 50 numbers. We were horrible in those areas, and have been for two years.

If Colin goes, we lose a productive member of the team.

The upshot is that we may get something approaching reasonable compensation, free up cap money and it will create opportunity for someone like Rory Taggert to play some AFL footy.

• Like 6

It's amazing how perceptions of how good a player could be lead to people turning on their own.

It's especially sad when the bloke bleeds red and blue and has done his absolute best during a horrendous period for the club.

This is your opinion.. I would have it it doesnt hold as fact

Much of the basis of many a person's frustration and less than loving approach to Sylvia is wholly based upon his yo yo like efforts over the years, and indeed within games themselves.

Is he a talented player ? without a question.

Has he fulfilled his potential ? Seldom

Does he play well ? Plays OK and occasionally shines.

Does he play to his limits every game ? hardly.

Absolute best...i very much doubt it

id put it to you and others that in a appropriately Melb analogy hes very much a fair weather skier. When all things are going ok he puts i, and sometimes a bit more. On bad days he can go missing.

He bleeds red like the rest of us and gets a very handsome retainer for attendance. if he was nearly as good and as much a r and b gun hed have placed higher than 5th in the Bluey.. Actually the Bluey is a very good litmus for the marks are given by those who are tasking the players. They dont rate him nearly as high as some here.

heres a player who could make things happen

he'll be a gun one day ...you just watch :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan at all. But I want him to stay because at least he'll put his head over it and he showed this year that he does have some propensity to tackle.

In no way do I expect him to ever become a super hard 2 way runner, be anywhere above average at clearances or actually make sound decisions with the ball consistently but if he can back up his second half of 2013 again I think that actually contributes something. The other option is losing him for nothing. It would be nice if the club could lock him away on a 2 year deal though without getting held hostage for 3 or anything like that.

I got the phone call about the raffle today from MFC. In the call she said that Sylvia had signed a 3 year deal and Sylvia signed on so should I. Just wondering why this hasn't been reported. Phone call at 2:14pm.

Didja buy the ticket?

I did. $200 I won't see again...oh well, gotta do your bit.

It's amazing how perceptions of how good a player could be lead to people turning on their own.

It's especially sad when the bloke bleeds red and blue and has done his absolute best during a horrendous period for the club.

It's amazing how perceptions of the vague concept of "bleeding red and blue" clouds people's judgments of players.

It's especially sad when it leads them to believe a player has "done his absolute best" when the bloke has shown on numerous occasions through his actions (incidents) that his commitment to preparation is lacking, as is his ambition.

• Like 3

This is your opinion.. I would have it it doesnt hold as fact

Much of the basis of many a person's frustration and less than loving approach to Sylvia is wholly based upon his yo yo like efforts over the years, and indeed within games themselves.

Is he a talented player ? without a question.

Has he fulfilled his potential ? Seldom

I reckon you just proved AJ's point.

i reckon i havent..

yours is an opinion also

It's amazing how perceptions of the vague concept of "bleeding red and blue" clouds people's judgments of players.

It's especially sad when it leads them to believe a player has "done his absolute best" when the bloke has shown on numerous occasions through his actions (incidents) that his commitment to preparation is lacking, as is his ambition.

Its not a vague concept - in most cases with players, it is a nonsense concept.

How many times did I hear over the journey how Beamer "bled red and blue" yet when the going got tough ( and yes we all know the major differences between Neeld and himself) did he dig deep for club that apparently he would bleed for ?

I have marked Col harder than any other footballer at Melbourne because in my opinion he is probably the most talented player we have had on our list tfor many years and he has constantly underdelivered.

This is not turning on him because if you recall Colin himself said two or three years ago that he has been less than consistent in his output and although he has been more consistent since it is marginal.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 3

The statement made was "It's amazing how perceptions of how good a player could be lead to people turning on their own"

I'll go one better - Considering the high draft pick Colin was and the immense talent he has shown ( all too rarely) I have a firm perception of how good he SHOULD be and this has led me to forming a strong opinion that he has not made most of the talent he has. You may call it turning on your own - I call it honest appraisal.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 4

I think one thing maybe overlooked with Sylvia is that he remains very close friends with Moloney and Jamar.

One has left, and the other is on the way out if you put weight in certain rumours.

With 2 of his best mates gone, is maybe the incentive there for Col to also move on?

I just wonder if any of the people remain at the club that made him feel so loyal to it?

There has been a decent turnover in his time.

Sorry this article says player age and contact value and length to determine compensation.

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-free-agency-how-it-works-20121001-26ue3.html

there are 5 bands, the lowest is a third round pick. We will get more than that of we don't bring another FA in.

Looks to me like possible picks are 3, 17, 19, 35, or ~53. Subject to change based on other club's picks.

If we get pick 3 as compo for Silv leaving I will bare my rrse in Bourke St and sing Its a Grand Old Flag at the top of my voice.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2

Any news on this situation?

I loved Cols year for us, his most consistant to date and really has something to build on under Roos, might well miss out on his best football if we don't manage to keep him on.

Col is as important to us as anyone at this point, losing a mature mid and what experience we have would be disastrous for us, especially considering the talent this bloke has.

• Like 1

Agree entirely D26.

We absolutely need to keep Sylvia. That several clubs are interested in him, and that Paul Roos wants to keep him, says it all really.

Speaking to an assistant coach after the GWS loss, he essentially said that the only Demon that concerned them was COLIN SYLVIA.

Some people here just don't seem to get it. We have the worst midfield in the comp and one that is completely bereft of any older players with class. Sylvia has class. And skills. And muscles.

Relevantly, Sylvia is an UFA, and many here are " ... whatever" if he decides to leave. Perhaps I'd get that position if there was a great trade on offer for him - but, here's the rub, there is not.

Bloody ridiculous position IMO. Real head in the sand stuff.

Must re-sign him asap.

Any updates on his negotiation would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

And Col wouldn't be anywhere near a midfield list in a decent team. Hes a high foward come link winger....when he pulls his digit out.

Hes not unique or irreplaceable .

• Like 1

Does anyone know when Colin is back from the US?

due to strict guidelines at the bombers

col wont be back from US until his tan is Essendon approved

• Like 1

100% Correct

The problem is that we are already short of best 22 standard players. We need to bring in 3 or 4 this summer. If we lose Col we need to bring in 4 or 5. It is easier to retain him than replace him.

I think you have to hand it to Essendon for trying. They're under siege over the drug issue and even more particularly are being run by the wrong person and idiotically, announced Hird's reappointment virtually effective from round 23 next year come what may.

Nevertheless, facing the loss of Crameri, they're going out to find a replacement that will cost them nothing in terms of draft picks to shore up their list. They know there's a strong possibility of them being in strife if the infraction notices start coming and they're doing something about it.

In the worst case scenario, Colin might have some interesting teammates in the event of the Bombers losing the dozen or so players to the ASADA investigation. I suppose he'll have to take that into account when considering their offer.

Agree entirely D26.

We absolutely need to keep Sylvia. That several clubs are interested in him, and that Paul Roos wants to keep him, says it all really.

Speaking to an assistant coach after the GWS loss, he essentially said that the only Demon that concerned them was COLIN SYLVIA.

Some people here just don't seem to get it. We have the worst midfield in the comp and one that is completely bereft of any older players with class. Sylvia has class. And skills. And muscles.

Relevantly, Sylvia is an UFA, and many here are " ... whatever" if he decides to leave. Perhaps I'd get that position if there was a great trade on offer for him - but, here's the rub, there is not.

Bloody ridiculous position IMO. Real head in the sand stuff.

Must re-sign him asap.

Any updates on his negotiation would be greatly appreciated.

And Col wouldn't be anywhere near a midfield list in a decent team. Hes a high foward come link winger....when he pulls his digit out.

I 'liked' both your posts even though they are diametrically opposed viewpoints. They can both be simultaneously correct

Such is the enigma, riddle and mystery of Colin

I 'liked' both your posts even though they are diametrically opposed viewpoints. They can both be simultaneously correct

Such is the enigma, riddle and mystery of Colin

when you use the word enigma about col

im thinking bahgdad batterie mystery ?

which makes him a very huge commodity on the talk show circut