2013 Player Review - # 2 Nathan Jones

Demonland

The club's midfield dynamo stood out again in 2013 winning his second successive Keith "Bluey" Truscott trophy amassing 509 disposals - 233 kicks and 276 handballs. He was the only shining light in the all important midfield where the club is otherwise totally bereft of star quality. Was briefly elevated to the captain during a period when the co-captains were languishing with injury and led from the front with his tough hard-nosed play

Games MFC 2013 22 Career Total 157

Goals MFC 2013 8 Career Total 76

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 365 votes

And to think there were those on these forums who not so long ago (relatively speaking) were calling for him to be traded or delisted. A great team player who, thanks to his work ethic, has got himself within reach of true 'A' grade status.

• Like 1

From that first game against the Roos you knew this lad had come to play, and always will. A real asset to the club.

• Like 1

Reasons I love Jones;

1) Has improved himself steadily since being drafted instead of just being happy to get a game

2) Goes about it in a no-nonsense fashion and is a great role model to his team mates

3) Appears to genuinely love the club

4) Gets the most out of himself by giving as much as he can every time he's out on the ground

5) Looks like he's 35 and on the verge of retirement but is only 25 and still has plenty to give

Better ? or more effective ? and I suppose if the latter then by default he must be the former. My meaning is that if he is able to be joined by similarly able bodies out there and they can combine well to use the ball to greater effectiveness then the unit as a whole is better. He doesnt need to be better.

I apologise as that seems rather gobbledygook in reading lol

Nothing but A grade.

This player is a gun.

Came up against heavy tags week in, week out and still managed to get a heap of the ball.

This is despite our rucks who wouldn't tap the ball to him, others who wouldn't block for him and minimal rotations.

The only player at the club who runs both ways.

I believe he is capable of giving a Brownlow a shake in a top 8 team, let's hope we get back up there ASAP so Nate is seen as being as good as he actually is by the rest of the comp

I believe he is capable of giving a Brownlow a shake in a top 8 team, let's hope we get back up there ASAP so Nate is seen as being as good as he actually is by the rest of the comp

I agree on your post, D26 but there's something else that's been bothering me....

You're doing an 'Omen' thing with your avatar by chopping of Roosy's head.

Quite disturbing....

I reckon he has reached A grade this year. He is not an Ablett, Pendlebury or Selwood but the potential might be there. Apart from all the in-and-under grunt he shows each week, he is a magnificent kick, feeds the ball out with creativity, and brings others into the play.

• Like 1

I reckon he has reached A grade this year. He is not an Ablett, Pendlebury or Selwood but the potential might be there. Apart from all the in-and-under grunt he shows each week, he is a magnificent kick, feeds the ball out with creativity, and brings others into the play.

Nathan's kicking has improved substantially over time. In past years you could sense he had attended the Cam Bruce school of helicopter passing. Now it is closer to elite and on both feet. His field kicking has improved more than any other Melbourne footballer that I can think of. Perhaps there is still hope for the Dan Nicholsons of this world

Edit. Apologies, there is, of course, no hope for Dan. I should have used someone like Jack Grimes as the example

Edited by fndee
  • Like 1

I agree on your post, D26 but there's something else that's been bothering me....

You're doing an 'Omen' thing with your avatar by chopping of Roosy's head.

Quite disturbing....

Jumbo, I can assure you that is a result of my terrible cropping skills rather than anything else :P haha, not really game to change it as last time I was pulled up for changing my avatar far too often haha!

• Like 1

he looks like the perfect backman to me.

Lots of tatts, hard at the ball and is good ball carrier.

But we can not afford to take him off the ball at the moment.

Love the guy. Had a few games late in the season where he didn't impact too much though, just needs help from others when tagged. Marginally better in 2012 than this year, though he still clearly deserved the medal

Was tagged a lot more this year than last. both were outstanding years. great player!

And to think there were those on these forums who not so long ago (relatively speaking) were calling for him to be traded or delisted. A great team player who, thanks to his work ethic, has got himself within reach of true 'A' grade status.

I never called for him to be traded or delisted, I just wondered how he would get a game in our midfield ahead of Moloney, Scully, Gysberts and Morton. Especially when we would possibly be having Petterd and Bate rotate through there as well.