• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The way of the Paul Roos

beelzebub

I am just shattered that these young teenage boys do the basics of footy that all us supporters have been complaining our professional boys didn't do for years.

What have we been paying the millions of dollars for coaching that didn't exist.

We should really embarrass our boys and show them how to listen to a coach and play the plan.

I know a bunch of the kids in these videos. One group is U12's the other U14's. If he can do this with kids that age what is he going to do for our guys.

Im really looking forward to the training reports from the legends who get down there regularly, I was always confused at why Neil Craig ran the majority of the session and Neeld would just float around. It never really made sense to me, i liked the video of Roosy out in the middle yelling out and directing. Its just so refreshing knowing that we have a guy that we can put confidence in, this isn't another new bee where we have to hope and prey he's worth the wait. Our players now have no where to hide, if they don't preform they cannot wait for the next coach to come in if the other hurt their feelings.

Im not expecting miracles from Roosy in 2014, but it will be nice to be competitive again and really push some teams. Im excited for next year!.

Do they younger boys start back in Early November and the seniors in late November? No word on the NT training trip either, i can only hope it'll be running to christmas then nothing back balls in hands through to round one. Carn the Dee's

• Like 3

Was wondering whether Roos would be hands on like in the video or whether he would let others do the training a la Neeld. Hope if is the former.

No word on the NT training trip either, i can only hope it'll be running to christmas then nothing back balls in hands through to round one. Carn the Dee's

I heard Mahoney say (after what i thought was a meaningful pause) that there will be no NT pre season trip this year. He said something along the lines that with a new coach that they would be staying in Melbourne and getting to know each other.

I have wondered since last year if something didn't go down on the NT trip. I only ever heard platitudes about the trip from players (and coaches for that matter) and there was no sense that it helped to bond everyone. I thought Roos would scrap it.

I heard Mahoney say (after what i thought was a meaningful pause) that there will be no NT pre season trip this year. He said something along the lines that with a new coach that they would be staying in Melbourne and getting to know each other.

I have wondered since last year if something didn't go down on the NT trip. I only ever heard platitudes about the trip from players (and coaches for that matter) and there was no sense that it helped to bond everyone. I thought Roos would scrap it.

Yeah i got the sense that they tried it for the sake of trying it and it didn't really help, although there is the argument that you wouldn't see the results after one preseason up there. After seeing Port Adelaide stay at home and improve so much in one preseason i bet a lot of teams thought "stuff it lets just save the money".

After seeing Port Adelaide stay at home and improve so much in one preseason i bet a lot of teams thought "stuff it lets just save the money".

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Port are going to do heat training like we did last per season & Burgess is proving to be a guru. So maybe something in it.

I must confess ive always wondered just how much of the NT training thing was essentially some sort of suck job to NT...a bit of schmoozing by the club etc.. Just a gut feeling nothing more

Didn't we win flights to the US for Altitude training in the Virgin Video thingy?

• Like 1

I think the training would have been highly ineffective, as the players were only able to train in very short bursts, then stop to cool down or else risk heat exhaustion.

It would have been challenging, but hard to complete a solid block of worthwhile training.

It just seems so counterproductive.

I think the training would have been highly ineffective, as the players were only able to train in very short bursts, then stop to cool down or else risk heat exhaustion.

It would have been challenging, but hard to complete a solid block of worthwhile training.

It just seems so counterproductive.

The science that's out there contradicts your assertions.

Whether or not it's worth the time, effort, disruption and money is another story. Clubs have been successful with altitude/heat/you-name-it camps, clubs have been successful without.

The science that's out there contradicts your assertions.

Whether or not it's worth the time, effort, disruption and money is another story. Clubs have been successful with altitude/heat/you-name-it camps, clubs have been successful without.

Fair enough. Mine is a relatively uninformed opinion.

But I can't see how all the stop-start burst training is all that beneficial.

Maybe physically it is, but in terms of becoming familiar with a gameplan, tactics, strategies, integrating new teammates... I don't think it is effective.

In the high altitudes the stop-start nature isn't required, to my understanding.

Edited by Machsy

It's hard to justify the expense of the NT training given the profound effect it DIDN'T have on our performance last season.

• Like 2

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the AAMI center has an altitude room.

Could be wrong

• Like 1

You are right about that bb, we have access and use of an altitude room.

Landmark...Im right...lol

• Like 6

I wasn't sure where to broach this so figured here might do.

We at the curtain raising of the silly season aka EOS circus. Always starts earlier for us than many as we are but spectators to the big end of the season.

Out FD dept scouting and recruiting will have been working and burning the midnight oil again I'm sure collating info on where we are and who's out there as potential new players for the grand ol' flag.

Now we have Mr Roos on board all efforts no doubt will swing behind attaining players of the ilk that suits the direction Roos wishes to take us.

There are readers out there with far better memories and indeed knowledge of what transpired at Sydney during their Roos era and I was hoping some learned sorts might enlighten the rest of us as to , almost not so much the who of their drafts/trades etc , but the how.

By this I mean how is it likely the P man will go about getting his new charges. I sense Roos is a master of smoke and mirrors. . Just look at the process whereby he came to us; all classic look here- I'm over there etc

Sydney did gain a rep, a good one at that , of masterfully selecting underutilised or overlooked players and bringing them into their fold.

Do we take any murmurings of Roos meeting with Martin etc ( true or otherwise ) as indication of intent or more the craft of the masterful magician ?

Who is Roos likely to seek out nd how does he get his man ?

cheers

I think what we'll find with Roos, is the players we recruit will be a bit bland and I doubt that we will be after high profile payers with big reputations.

Roos seems to target players to perform a certain task and builds a team around players putting in every week and not some stars that are inconsistent and if beaten can mean the whole plan falls apart.

I reckon we should get ourselves ready for several years of seemingly uninspiring draft selections that may lead to a very solid team capable of winning games of football.

• Like 2

Back on the NT trip, my recollection froom watching the daily videos they posted during the last trip and listening to the various players' comments was that the trip was a very effective bonding exercise, moreso than staying back in Melbourne might have been. When there are together 24/7 there can be no greater bonding scenario particularly when they were all pushed to test themselves out of their comfort zones. Personally i think that its a shame if we don't repeat it this year, particularly when we are enmeshed with the NT Government and committed to playing three matches there next year (one NAB Cup and two during the Season-proper).

Back on the NT trip, my recollection froom watching the daily videos they posted during the last trip and listening to the various players' comments was that the trip was a very effective bonding exercise, moreso than staying back in Melbourne might have been. When there are together 24/7 there can be no greater bonding scenario particularly when they were all pushed to test themselves out of their comfort zones. Personally i think that its a shame if we don't repeat it this year, particularly when we are enmeshed with the NT Government and committed to playing three matches there next year (one NAB Cup and two during the Season-proper).

I spoke to Jeremy Howe at a function this year and he said the NT training camp was the hardest thing he had ever done.

I spoke to Jeremy Howe at a function this year and he said the NT training camp was the hardest thing he had ever done.

That point came out in the daily reports. I think that it would be a great exercise to repeat, particularly when their is a new coaching regime and a dozen new players to get to know each other and bond as a unit. The big thing that came out in the daily reports was how they backed each other and supported each other to get the training sessions as a team. It is an ideal way to build team spirit before the season proper!

Agree if the NT Govt is our major sponsor, why wouldn't we at least visit preseason. Good PR exercise.

Yeah i got the sense that they tried it for the sake of trying it and it didn't really help, although there is the argument that you wouldn't see the results after one preseason up there. After seeing Port Adelaide stay at home and improve so much in one preseason i bet a lot of teams thought "stuff it lets just save the money".

lol

Port did what we did. They did heat training in the NT.

Heat training and altitude training both have their experts claiming superiority, frankly I think the effects of both are minuscule. Altitude requires 3 months of sustained training at altitude for it to last 6 months. That's from a few boys who work at the AIS at my footy club up here.

Collingwoods 3 weeks in Arizona are laughed at by cyclists like Evans who will dedicate months up in the hills to get a small benefit.

I think worrying about where we do our pre season camp is a waste of time tbh.

Roos first job will be to stop the blow-outs.

No more of this getting smashed BS.

I think he's already well into that if you take note of what Roos has brought into the club in terms of the coach and his assistants and who we've picked up in trading and who we've let go.

The blow outs predominantly come from our poor midfield set ups and personnel. Opposition teams will no longer be able to waltz out of the middle without a hint of pressure on their tails. That was what happened often last year, particularly when we tired and had players without the necessary physical and mental attributes to run all day in the middle.

Although hardly used in a midfield role at Melbourne last year, James Magner is one of those players who, whilst having the ability to get the pill, doesn't have the necessary skill sets to play a meaningful role in the midfield. Neeld communicated that to him but I don't think Jimmy quite got it and if, as reported, Chocco Royal told him otherwise, it speaks for that person's credentials as a modern day midfield coach.

I don't think we're going to see more blow outs this year even though we will most probably need at least a full year under the new regime to get the ship in order.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the AAMI center has an altitude room.

Could be wrong

Which is all you need. I had a tour of the Footscray campus altitude rooms (with the Doggies in attendance) and the new wisdom is that you 'train high and live low'. That is do your work at altitude but its better for you if you sleep at normal altitude levels. They said the Arizona thing was good but you didn't need to go to that expense and in fact it may be detrimental (to fitness levels) by living at altitude for a month or so..

• Like 1