The Successor

mitch

Has Bassett even been an AFL assistant?

Only SANFL to my knowledge.

Not that it should be an impediment - Ling hasn't even done that.

Bassett is obviously very highly regarded, so if there's a little truth to it, I wouldn't be against it.

To say Roos' interviews haven't started yet might be a bit misleading, as PJ has obviously already been in touch with Ling and McDonald.

In fact, if you think about it, that they were even approached may indicate that Roos had agreed to sign long before the official announcement, if you believe the train of thought that a coach should choose his assistants, and more importantly his successor, in this particular setup.

Interesting that Roos said appointment in near future,seems to suggest days not weeks .

If it was Simpson we would have to wait till after grand final as he is involved at hawks

Scott burns is with west coast so presumably could be named if it was him

Not saying that he will be the successor however I can confirm that Glen Bartlett has an existiing relationship with John Worsfold and they have had a number of discussions this week about a role at Melbourne.

I think Woosha could be good around our young kids... he was all man when he played, ruthless, & he holds himself in a manly manner. there is no boyish demeanor on his footy face.

We IMO, have always had the boyish, fun, prankster, 'we're all mates at Melbourne', 'good times' way about us... & when the going gets tough, big games, Finals, etc, we tend to falter.

Ray Jordan had a full pressure, 'no frills' way of developing tough minded kids.... most of the kids from our list over the past 10 years, would not have got thru the U-19's...

I would think Woosha could help with our development.

im still backing ling , opportunity too good to pass up , do the media thing later on ,

I'm starting to think Ling is to green, & is way behind the others, like Burns & Simpson, as the 'Senior Assistant' role, as they're calling it.

Ling IMO would need to start out as an assistant coach... not as 'Senior Assistant'. I think Ling would need 5 years to develop into a head coach.

I would love it for Lingy to come onboard as Coach of Casey, to put some of his Ideas into practice & work on his methods. One or 2 years at the VFL level, then an AFL line coach, or direct into a 'Senior Assistant' role from there.

If the Bassett rumour is true - I am all for it. His influence at Norwood was immediate, and players who were stuck soon found fresh vigour and unexpected return to form. I think one of Terlich, M Jones and Kent came from there with big wraps for Bassett. Roos is an influence coach also - might be a very harmonious relationship.

Here's a very useful article that mentions most of the relevant names, give a little blurb.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-06/who-becomes-paul-roos-no2

From memory, Ratten did a good job with our Midfield, and Wellman was coaching the defence at the time that it turned from 'spud-machine' to truly competitive, featuring an All-Australian Frawley. He has also been responsible for the impressive growth in the Essendon defence; Jake Carlisle being the obvious standout.

By the talk and mentions that make it to the media, Jade Rawlings is held in very high esteem by the players at Melbourne. He was also well respected at Richmond under Wallace (including being apointed caretaker at the end of that era). You'd think he would be the most likely of our present assistants to be retained, particularly as he has coached most areas of the field.

One thing I do like about this whole situation is that there are a lot of really good assistant coach candidates available, and the prospect of being mentored by Roos (an explicit part of Roos declared role) would be a desirable feature whether or not they were the 'anointed' successor coach.

If our coaching panel starts with a great one-two of Paul Roos and a genuinely exceptional senior assistant with a good relationship with Roos, then we would be in a very happy and effective place.

If the Bassett rumour is true - I am all for it. His influence at Norwood was immediate, and players who were stuck soon found fresh vigour and unexpected return to form. I think one of Terlich, M Jones and Kent came from there with big wraps for Bassett. Roos is an influence coach also - might be a very harmonious relationship.

Terlich. As well as Sam Rowe, Nick Duigan, Paul Puopolo and Jarryd Cachia. That's a decent strike rate of late pick up mature age players who actually end up making an impact at their AFL club. There's a common thread of hardness and work rate. Of course that's common in most mature age pick up because you have to be very impressive to get a go but still.

Local guys from SA who start at the club as juniors and get drafted to Port or Adelaide then stay at their SANFL club and includes Tom Jonas from Port and Mitch Grigg from Adelaide and I'm a big fan of both.

Would have thought Tudor, Burns or Simpson would have been ahead of him in the picking order, purely because he has no AFL (assistant) coaching experience. And given that there are only 2 senior coaching gigs going, presumably at least one of that trio are going to be available in any case.

But - would be more than happy with Bassett.

Would have thought Tudor, Burns or Simpson would have been ahead of him in the picking order, purely because he has no AFL (assistant) coaching experience. And given that there are only 2 senior coaching gigs going, presumably at least one of that trio are going to be available in any case.

But - would be more than happy with Bassett.

A.Clarkson coached Central Districts before he went to Hawthorn.....just saying

What about the years he spent as an assistant at Port?

Anyway, not likely a candidate for the senior assistant role, but David Teague is leaving WestCoast to come back to Melbourne.

Could be a candidate as an assistant, depending on who we keep.

I've not read his whole thread, but,

Bassett could be a good get, I heard a whisper today that Voss was spoken to.

Let me say, this guy is ex Fitzroy who had some connections there but little at Brissie, he told me, could be a bunch of number 2's

But his info was Voss has been spoken to.

Have heard all the above but my mail is that it will be Scott Burns announced as the annointed! Don't know where the Bassett angle came from?