The future of Aaron Davey and the way Melbourne mistreats its veterans

Dee man

I'd give him an extra year he still has sublime kicking skills and we need to show the other players we are learning the best way to exit our senior players. He's no worse than some of the others and if he's got some talent around him in the forward line that can bring the ball to the ground he could kick a couple a week.

• Like 3

Good older players would be picked up on a year contract by clubs in the premiership window. Junior was picked up by GWS for his leadership, something we desperately needed. Bruce walked and played a dozen forgettable games at the Hawks.

The rest didn't do much. Anything actually.

Davey has done little to nothing this year. About the same as the year before. And the year before.

If Aaron doesn't retire, he should be retired in the friendliest possible way....

Good older players would be picked up on a year contract by clubs in the premiership window. Junior was picked up by GWS for his leadership, something we desperately needed. Bruce walked and played a dozen forgettable games at the Hawks.

The rest didn't do much. Anything actually.

Davey has done little to nothing this year. About the same as the year before. And the year before.

If Aaron doesn't retire, he should be retired in the friendliest possible way....

Good comment, fits in well with this thread! Aren't we talking about Melbourne's history of off loading experienced players to our detriment. I am talking Not just Junior but Bruce, Green and others who may have helped and shielded our young draft picks and provided some leadership along the way. CS, CC and Bailey thought it would just happen with multiple early draft kids, well it never will I think we have proven that theory is BS!

Good comment, fits in well with this thread! Aren't we talking about Melbourne's history of off loading experienced players to our detriment. I am talking Not just Junior but Bruce, Green and others who may have helped and shielded our young draft picks and provided some leadership along the way. CS, CC and Bailey thought it would just happen with multiple early draft kids, well it never will I think we have proven that theory is BS!

My point is thatJunior was the only one that offered any leadership worth keeping.

• Like 2

I find it amazing that so many on here are so gung ho on sacking long serving players and treating them like cattle but lose their s*** when the shoe is on the other foot and a player 'sacks' the club for their ineptness. If we want to be a club where players want to play, we need to be respectful of long term servants of the club. Flash needs to be an active participant in the talks about his future. No more dictates 1 week before the season ends. Perhaps ask Aaron honestly as a man if he thinks he is up to it.

Loyalty does go two ways.

Old hack has beens who never played with strong leadership anyway (ie. Green and Bruce) weren't the answer though.

This current Richmond side has climbed the ladder on the back of Brad Miller, Shane Tuck, Chris Newman and even now guys like Jake King and Dan Jackson. That's the kind of leader we needed to keep around.

We all agree on Junior but I don't understand how letting Junior go when things were actually looking up necessarily makes Green and Bruce bad decisions.

And I certainly disagree with anyone who thought Jeff White or Yze had time left.

• Like 1

I find it amazing that so many on here are so gung ho on sacking long serving players and treating them like cattle but lose their s*** when the shoe is on the other foot and a player 'sacks' the club for their ineptness. If we want to be a club where players want to play, we need to be respectful of long term servants of the club. Flash needs to be an active participant in the talks about his future. No more dictates 1 week before the season ends. Perhaps ask Aaron honestly as a man if he thinks he is up to it.

Loyalty does go two ways.

If Aaron honestly as a man thought he was up for it he wouldn't have been in such horrendous shape in 2012 that he wasn't up to being played for the entire year and then hardly doing much better in 2013 when he's looked ok but hasn't attacked the contest with anything near a high standard.

I'm all for being open and honest but we also have to be much more ruthless. Players will respect that because we will win and that will inspire loyalty.

AFL is a performance based industry and it's about time we realise that.

• Like 1

On one hand he said we've been & are soft, onfield & off... but these players whilst professional were not hard.. competitors yes but none we truly head over the ball except Junior...

we need to move as far away from that style as possible & get back to the physical commitment of the late 80's & early to mid 90's.

I'm a no for Aaron on the main list, but a yes to 're rookie', to have him around the club in an onfield capacity with our kids. even make him our captain @ Casey for 2 years with bonuses.

I'd prefer to chase fellas like Sewell, Kerr, SThompson, MWhite, etc... land one or two of this type of leader, a tough insider & a hard outsider (not DelSanto)... there out there, we just need to convince them to help set us up.

• Like 1

Old hack has beens who never played with strong leadership anyway (ie. Green and Bruce) weren't the answer though.

This current Richmond side has climbed the ladder on the back of Brad Miller, Shane Tuck, Chris Newman and even now guys like Jake King and Dan Jackson. That's the kind of leader we needed to keep around.

We all agree on Junior but I don't understand how letting Junior go when things were actually looking up necessarily makes Green and Bruce bad decisions.

And I certainly disagree with anyone who thought Jeff White or Yze had time left.

I don't disagree with you but what happened between 2010 when we seemed to be on track with 8 or 9 wins and close fought battles against the premiers of 2010 twice, the doggies and even the Hawks in the second meeting. At that stage we thought we were on the up. Later in 2011 we thumped Freemantle at the Gee by 83 points. Two years on we cop a 95 point battering. What a turn around! What went wrong in that time? Poor draft selections is part of it. Zero leadership? Yes no doubt. The way forward, not sure but gee we need a priority pick and more.

Davey, one year contract as a super sub, he's a quality person, and if he had been protected better over the last couple of years ( we would have to be worst in the comp for shepherds etc) we would have got a lot more from him, idiots who complain about him sucking us dry need to remember that a guy that has never been 80 kg in his life is going to be vulnerable to attention.

We'll he hasn't done enough to justify a spot on the list, but hopefully we keep him around for the indigenous lads.

Davey speaks well and comes across as a likable fella.

Onya AD.

Which ones exactly?

I thought Neeld drove them all away.

Jetta will probably be gone at seasons end.

We really are missing that kind of spark that came from Jurrah, Wonna and a young Davey (could really get the team going)

Edited by Young Dee

There are SO many spuds on this list that we can delist before we let Davey go. No other clubs will offer him anything next year, so he can except low money just to stay in the game for one more year. I'd like to keep him.

He has been the sub too many times this year imo. Comes into games when its already lost.

So I sift the posts and determine a consensus amongst the "keepers" amounts to

Retain Davey because hes old. Thats about the strength of that recommendation. It goes to some notion that as such he automatically evokes leadership ideals which are miraculously handed down as sage embellishment of the younger indigenie.

Well I'm convinced.......................................not

• Like 1

Aarons biggest strengths was his pace and nimbleness which compensated for his lack of AFL standard minimum physicality. Those strengths are now gone. His physical strength is far below what is required for an AFL footballer. Is a skinny runt who gets brushed aside in contests with ridiculous ease. His kicking is still sublime but without his pace and nimbleness he is only of value when receiving the ball out in the open. When he has to battle with an oponent he looks like a boy against men. His brother who was an inferior player to him still has his pace, is far stronger and has beefed up.(Essendon suplements?) Would be a great gesture if he retired.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

The big one which most agree with is Junior - not the most skilled but certainly a sadly missed leader on and off the field. A shocking decision in retrospect. I hope he can be lured back in some capacity - could do no worse than our current midfield coach, who will surely be sacked.

As for the rest - very debatable.

IF Aaron was willing to stay on for one year on lower pay, perhaps to be mainly used as a sub and mentor then he would be far from the first I would delist.

Who is the Melbourne player who ranks highest in scoring involvements this year?

No doubt Aaron Davey would be close. Especially when you factor in % time on ground.

He is the most lethal player in our team, 10 touches from him is worth 20 from most other players.

One more year, see what a decent coach can get out of him.

• Like 1

Davey is icing ( and a bit stale )..We need more cake,.... some actually !!

If Aaron honestly as a man thought he was up for it he wouldn't have been in such horrendous shape in 2012 that he wasn't up to being played for the entire year and then hardly doing much better in 2013 when he's looked ok but hasn't attacked the contest with anything near a high standard.

I'm all for being open and honest but we also have to be much more ruthless. Players will respect that because we will win and that will inspire loyalty.

AFL is a performance based industry and it's about time we realise that.

Indeed on the first bit. Aaron would need to hear that and that would need to be a part of any consultation process we go through with Aaron. I'm not advocating we provide counselling for our players to blame away their shortcomings. But the club needs to move away from this 'We know all and see all and we do not have to justify ourselves to the likes of you!' and treat our players like men, rather than little boys who can't think for themselves.

Harden the f up all you softies. I was Daveys greatest admirer 4 years ago. Our club cannot afford to carry non performers, who no longer are able to be efficient, onfield. He was even not capable anymore back in 2011!!!!! He is now injury prone and no longer in our best 22. Sentiment has no place in a floundering business and we need to move on. Maybe offer him a mentoring position otherwise thanks for the memories Aaron!

There's a strong misconception on this thread that "mistreating our veterans" means not offering contracts to players who are no longer capable of having a valuable output on the field.

It's about forward planning, succession planning, career development, communication...

Players wouldn't be so reticent to retire if a clear career pathway had been planned with them, and whilst their playing career is ongoing the club was making efforts to prepare them for their post-playing career.

Fear, resentment and angst comes from the prospect of one day being given a tap on the shoulder, and then you'll be wondering where your next paycheque is coming from.

Remove the doubt, over time instill some confidence for the next stage of their lives, and give them a reason to continue loving the club, rather than resenting it for the bitter way their playing days ended.

Edited by Machiavelli
  • Like 1

There's a strong misconception on this thread that "mistreating our veterans" means not offering contracts to players who are no longer capable of having a valuable output on the field.

It's about forward planning, succession planning, career development, communication...

Players wouldn't be so reticent to retire if a clear career pathway had been planned with them, and whilst their playing career is ongoing the club was making efforts to prepare them for their post-playing career.

Fear, resentment and angst comes from the prospect of one day being given a tap on the shoulder, and then you'll be wondering where your next paycheque is coming from.

Remove the doubt, over time instill some confidence for the next stage of their lives, and give them a reason to continue loving the club, rather than resenting it for the bitter way their playing days ended.

... career planning & succession planning, fantastic.

suggestion, keep our kids away from this career planning until they've achieved 80 games in the red & blue, Or those recruited who are over 25 yrs of age.

save on any distractions of career, before footy first.

After they have given enough, then allow them into the Mfc business sphere, for future financial planning.

IMO, we have continually get the cart infront of the horse... 'the Mfc super fund' should be for our veterans carrying their red & blue battle wounds.

Edited by dee-luded

This is pretty much it.

Communicating to the players that their time is soon coming to an end and treating all players with respect at all times.

And this not just for Aaron Davey by the way. This goes for our latest retiree Joel Macdonald - who was played in the Development Squad at Casey a few weeks back.

That is just terrible management and I hoped we were past that. I don't know what the reasoning was or is, but the disharmony that crap brings disintegrates whatever attempts are made to improve your culture.

Same with Tom Gillies last weekend being picked to play for the Dev Squad.

Rookies are treated on a different plane to those on the primary list for reasons that are unbeknownst to me but I would assume are pathetic. I will say that this happens at a lot of clubs and is another great reason to get rid of the rookie list entirely.

Treat ALL your players EVERY YEAR as if you want the best for them and YOUR CULTURE will improve.

I will write something to Jackson if I hear one more disappointing thing like this in these closing weeks.

• Like 1