Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

What are they smoking at our universities? The right intent

"From what I saw Essendon's program was not illegal and was in fact well documented and controlled."

He's just searching for attention. Making big statements with little common sense. He's a law lecturer who has interests in indigenous law and drugs in cycling.

He's a law lecturer who has interests in indigenous law and drugs in cycling.

When I read that he lectures in law it piqued my interest so I checked his bio:-

Martin Hardie has managed bands and worked in Aboriginal Art and Craft centres. He has been a solicitor and a barrister, acting in matters concerning administrative law and constitutional law and particularly, as counsel for Australian Indigenous artists in their quest for copyright protection; the challenge by Jose Ramos Horta to the Australian Timor Gap legislation and in a case concerning the NT legislation legalising euthanasia. He has also been an advisor to various members of the former East Timorese resistance and government, a university lecturer, a cyclist, cycling journalist and team manager.

His time is spent with the ambition of becoming the archetype of life within communism; at the break of dawn a seakayaker during the day a teacher and a cook, cyber-conspiracist and correspondent, in the afternoons, a student and philosopher and, at nights, simply pleasant company.

I'm speechless.

When I read that he lectures in law it piqued my interest so I checked his bio:-

I'm speechless.

No there no way that true WJ.

I am awaiting your official reply

He used the word 'Modernity' in a paper, I loathe the term.

Edited by Ingeniokinetikey

What are they smoking at our universities? The right intent

"From what I saw Essendon's program was not illegal and was in fact well documented and controlled."

I'm speechless.

From wj's bio on him the guy seems 'a tad unbalanced'. Didn't mention any footy allegiances, but not hard to guess. "Well documented and controlled" yet nobody can find these fabulous documents. Maybe if I ever were to unexpectedly ( and may I add uncharacteristically) commit a mass murder I should look him up to plead my total innocence.

So why did Robson, Corcoran, the Doc, Dank and Weapon go? And Hird suspended. Obviously victims of a great miscarriage of justice.

Apparently so.

The Doc is back, which I think is just another disgrace, in this whole disgraceful episode.

• Like 1

No there no way that true WJ.

I am awaiting your official reply

This Hardie character purports to be a champion of sportspeople oppressed by tough anti-doping policies and, while he might have a point about the frustrations suffered by some at their treatment, he overlooks the fact that it's a necessary evil in seeking to ensure that clean athletes who want to get to the top of their sports through talent and hard work aren't trumped by the chemists.

I regard it in a similar light to the inconvenience caused by x rays and having to go through metal detectors at airports. I don't like some of the unfriendly, gruff security people but, in the end, I'm happy to put up with it if it makes my flight safer.

The statement attributed to Hardie about Essendon's "well documented and controlled" programme is risible. If the author of this article wasn't engaging in a tasteless student prank, then it doesn't speak kindly about the academic standards of this institution.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the chasm between Fairfax and the Murdoch press is demonstrated by how their journalists are interpreting the appointment of Judge Downes - ASADA investigation: Former Federal judge Garry Downes steps in to help speed things up

Federal Sports Minister Peter Dutton said the appointment of Downes provided additional resources to ASADA and his role was to help decide if charges could be laid.

''ASADA's investigative process has been ongoing for nearly a year and is of unprecedented complexity,'' Dutton said. ''In light of this, it is appropriate that a suitably qualified person be engaged to assist ASADA as the investigations approach conclusion.''

The Minister says the Judge has been appointed to "assist ASADA" but the Murdoch press suggests that he's somehow investigating it.

You be the judge.

Apparently so.

The Doc is back, which I think is just another disgrace, in this whole disgraceful episode.

I am not sure about the Doc WJ.

From what I read he appeared to have warned his bosses and was not really involved in the EFC supplement program.

I appreciate the argument that he should have done more to stop the injections at the EFC but he was not a high ranking official at the Club, I think he reported to The Weapon. So he really did not have that much authority at the EFC to stop anything, he could just advise those that could.

It appeared to me that the Doc was being unfairly criticized and IMO the AFL dropping all charges against him was a fair decision.

However there may be something I not aware of which would change my opinion on him, but for now based on what I read it seems fair that he back at work for the EFC.

This Hardie character purports to be a champion of sportspeople oppressed by tough anti-doping policies and, while he might have a point about the frustrations suffered by some at their treatment, he overlooks the fact that it's a necessary evil in seeking to ensure that clean athletes who want to get to the top of their sports through talent and hard work aren't trumped by the chemists.

I regard it in a similar light to the inconvenience caused by x rays and having to go through metal detectors at airports. I don't like some of the unfriendly, gruff security people but, in the end, I'm happy to put up with it if it makes my flight safer.

The statement attributed to Hardie about Essendon's "well documented and controlled" programme is risible. If the author of this article wasn't engaging in a tasteless student prank, then it doesn't speak kindly about the academic standards of this institution.

Meanwhile, in the real world, the chasm between Fairfax and the Murdoch press is demonstrated by how their journalists are interpreting the appointment of Judge Downes - ASADA investigation: Former Federal judge Garry Downes steps in to help speed things up

The Minister says the Judge has been appointed to "assist ASADA" but the Murdoch press suggests that he's somehow investigating it.

You be the judge.

I knew you could do it WJ.

Never let them grind you down because of their stupidity.

There was one AFL Player where he had a positive drug test a day after he underwent an operation. The substance was not performance enhancing but a possible masking agent. He was let off, which was a fair and reasonable thing to do. So there is times when common sense is needed and no just blindly follow the rules.

I knew you could do it WJ.

Never let them grind you down because of their stupidity.

There was one AFL Player where he had a positive drug test a day after he underwent an operation. The substance was not performance enhancing but a possible masking agent. He was let off, which was a fair and reasonable thing to do. So there is times when common sense is needed and no just blindly follow the rules.

I do not know of the case you refer to, but how is it fair and reasonable to let a player off on a positive test for a making agent? Who is this player? AFL or state league?

I do not know of the case you refer to, but how is it fair and reasonable to let a player off on a positive test for a making agent? Who is this player? AFL or state league?

Steven Koops (AFL Player)

In 1999 he suffered a knee injury and was drug tested the day after surgery, returning a positive test for pethidine, a banned substance. Upon advice from the club, he pled guilty to the charge, but no penalty was imposed. However, due to the guilty finding, his name was entered onto the Australian Sports Drug Agency register, even after the AFL overturned the guilty finding and cleared Koops' name. Fremantle Football Club was fined $5000 for not notifying the AFL of the operation.[

Edited by DemonFrog

I am not sure about the Doc WJ.

From what I read he appeared to have warned his bosses and was not really involved in the EFC supplement program.

I appreciate the argument that he should have done more to stop the injections at the EFC but he was not a high ranking official at the Club, I think he reported to The Weapon. So he really did not have that much authority at the EFC to stop anything, he could just advise those that could.

It appeared to me that the Doc was being unfairly criticized and IMO the AFL dropping all charges against him was a fair decision.

However there may be something I not aware of which would change my opinion on him, but for now based on what I read it seems fair that he back at work for the EFC.

I think the only reason why the AFL dropped their case was if it went to court the AFL wouldnt have had enough at that stage to win (didnt know who took what and he can aviod that with patient privs.) and also some clever PR dropping those 'leaked' emails which made him look very good.

His big test will be worksafe - he was the club doctor which presided over 4,000 injections, where no one knows who had what given, including banned substances (assuming) and substances not yet fit for human consumption (known). Not looking good!

Does anyone knlw that, hypothetically, plagers were issued infractions for taking bammed substances they could sue Reid?

I think the only reason why the AFL dropped their case was if it went to court the AFL wouldnt have had enough at that stage to win (didnt know who took what and he can aviod that with patient privs.) and also some clever PR dropping those 'leaked' emails which made him look very good.

His big test will be worksafe - he was the club doctor which presided over 4,000 injections, where no one knows who had what given, including banned substances (assuming) and substances not yet fit for human consumption (known). Not looking good!

Does anyone knlw that, hypothetically, plagers were issued infractions for taking bammed substances they could sue Reid?

I don't think the case was ever going to be a win for the AFL regardless. However I think there was more at stake with Hird and Vlad/Evans in conflict over what was said on the Vlad call made on the evening prior to the ACC announcement.

I think it was that Vlad and Evans would be under oath in the Reid case to state what was spoken about on the call made by Vlad to the EFC prior to the ACC announcement. There was risk of either perjury for either Vlad/Evans or Vlad possibly breach ACC confidentiality rules which would have looked bad for the AFL and Vlad. At the very least integrity was a stake and a disaster loomed for the AFL

• Like 2

I don't think the case was ever going to be a win for the AFL regardless. However I think there was more at stake with Hird and Vlad/Evans in conflict over what was said on the Vlad call made on the evening prior to the ACC announcement.

I think it was that Vlad and Evans would be under oath in the Reid case to state what was spoken about on the call made by Vlad to the EFC prior to the ACC announcement. There was risk of either perjury for either Vlad/Evans or Vlad possibly breach ACC confidentiality rules which would have looked bad for the AFL and Vlad. At the very least integrity was a stake and a disaster loomed for the AFL

Glad you raised that up RR.

Interestingly it wasnt long after that wass made public that Evans resigned.