• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

can the competition afford to continue to be dishonest. on drugs & supplements. & with teams bending rules to cling to the competativeness of the spoilt clubs...

the AFL has contributed to & constructed the mess by hiding the truth.

Perhaps the "Integrity Inquisitors" or whatever they are called need to get a mirror and look at the AFL first?

The fish rots from the head!!!

• Like 2

Who knows what he meant. He's not a bad bloke but there's an ingrown arrogance with these pr##ks. I've got to say, I've always hated them well above all other teams since 2000...and that includes Pies and Blues.

Couldn't wait for him to get to work today. Nor could about 10 others. Release the Melbourne findings now!

don't let up on him tomorrow..!

can the competition afford to continue to be dishonest. on drugs & supplements. & with teams bending rules to cling to the competativeness of the spoilt clubs...

the AFL has contributed to & constructed the mess by hiding the truth.

SPOT ON DL

NAILED IT.

Actually ASADA can test any AFL player 365 days of the year. They have access both off season and during season. Page 10 of the brochure lays out some of the highlights of their testing regime. Also the AFL publish the results every year, not in great detail, mind you, but numbers tested and number of positive results found by ASADA.

My understanding is they would only test for performance enhancing drugs out of competition and all drugs in competition but the AFL in conjunction with the players have an agreement to test for all drugs out of competition.

The substance is NOT prohibited under the WADA code unless it’s used in a certain way (known as an intravenous infusion). I don't think anyone is alleging we have illegally administered the substance to our players - it’s definitely allowed to be injected, subject to certain limitations on the amount and the frequency of the injections. Based on what I've been told, I think we can ignore all the "injecting room scandal" stories.

The problem is that although it’s not banned by WADA, it’s illegal to import, manufacture or purchase this substance in Australia. As such, I think the feeling is that the players may be safe, but the investigation centres on the fact that someone at the club (and I think I have an idea who) may be in some serious trouble for possessing and administering the substance to our players here in Australia. I’m pretty sure this is where the whole “criminal drug gang” angle to this story has come from.

Even if true, it's still a fairly large camel to be threading through the eye of a fairly small needle. Not much room in that story to get it wrong.

Increasing discussion around Bovine Colostrum, which I have to confess, until today I'd never even given a moment's thought to. Plenty of info on it out on the net if anyone's interested, but is in that "grey" area where it's not technically illegal in itself, though it contains an illegal substance (IGF-1).

And ... freely available online at places like Amazon.

On the other hand, I for one am showing my ignorance and perhaps naivety, in the discovery that players in the AFL are having injections of calf's blood etc. etc. as part of routine supplement intake. So much for the old ice bath and protein shake after a workout, seems that even that application of sports science is now both old hat and insufficient.

Guest Deemand

Hope G Lyon puts her on her ass in the first (segment).

we could only hope for an OX push from Gary to Caro!, he would win the gold logie for that performance!

Mark McVeigh spoke a lot of sense on SEN, as with the "tanking" allegations, there's a lot of information we don't know and the media are certainly beating the story up.

My gut feeling is they will be cleared because of the borderline nature of the charges and the drugs involved.

• Like 2

This is a true story.

Yours truly got several jabs from an Essendon medico as a 17 year old for a "very big " game of school footy.(for a back complaint) and starred.This was 23 years ago.

I played well enough to get asked to play a selection game for the dees.

I got asked to train in a summer torture camp.

I chose to get [censored] instead with my mates.

I was never going to be good enough but I was offered a shot.

Without the shot I would never have gotten the shot which I didn't take.

If that makes sense.

The same DR is not implicated in this but there are some cowboys in sport science.

Though I thank the DR that treated me these science guys are pushing it too far.

Edit (acupuncture and a pain killer shot on game day)

Edited by Biffen
  • Like 1

Smithy, we were the most powerful,POWERHOUSE team in the competition for a long period of time through the golden premiership Norm Smith years!

We have suffered horribly since 1964, more horribly than any other team. Regardless of our own management and stuff ups and more than a modicum of tellingly bad luck( Karma)

My view is what goes around comes around and whilst not going overboard about Essendons shocking football department mangement and clear supplemental increments, I say stuff em!! Do the crime do the time and if that means Essendon goes onto its kness SO BE IT!

Exactly. Lady Justice must be blind!

And what's this eternal birthright to being an 'powerhouse' t that this mob supposedly have? Fortunes change, powers come and go. There are no prisoners in an 18-team competition with sides fighting for glory on the dais.

F...k 'em.

Edited by Range Rover
  • Like 2

Jose made a post early on which seems to be echoed by a bomberblitz poster;

The substance is NOT prohibited under the WADA code unless it’s used in a certain way (known as an intravenous infusion). I don't think anyone is alleging we have illegally administered the substance to our players - it’s definitely allowed to be injected, subject to certain limitations on the amount and the frequency of the injections. Based on what I've been told, I think we can ignore all the "injecting room scandal" stories.

The problem is that although it’s not banned by WADA, it’s illegal to import, manufacture or purchase this substance in Australia. As such, I think the feeling is that the players may be safe, but the investigation centres on the fact that someone at the club (and I think I have an idea who) may be in some serious trouble for possessing and administering the substance to our players here in Australia. I’m pretty sure this is where the whole “criminal drug gang” angle to this story has come from.

Doing my best Carro impersination (joining dots haphazardly) i'd say Dank has been investigated by the Fed's for possessing and administering the substance in Aus, the bombers caught wind of this and called the press conference to get the WADA involved. This way the players will be cleared as its not a banned substance. You think that Dank and Wepon and perhaps the club will be smashed for breaking the law though.

Technically if the drug was obtained illegally, the use and the possession of the drug is illegal, full stop. Those involved have at a minimum broken a federal law. WADA does consider this to be a prohibited substance if it's not been procured in a lawful manner and applied according to strict medical protocol, the method of administration is irrelevant if the drug was obtained illegally. It's incumbent on the athlete to be fully aware of any substance he or she may have taken. The responsibility lies with the athlete. I feel for the players involved but the law of the commonwealth and WADA's own policy is very clear on such matters.

My gut feeling is they will be cleared because of the borderline nature of the charges and the drugs involved.

There is nothing borderline about the drug involved. HGH is illegal unless prescribed by a medical practitioner for a prescribed treatment for a defined period. Without a prescription it is illegal to possess or administer the drug under Federal law. This isn't some wafer thin AFL policy, it's Federal law. Yes HGH can be purchased over seas but it is still illegal to import, possess and use the drug in Australia without the appropriate medical clearance .Unless each Essendon player has a legitimate prescription for HGH to treat a pre existing condition they have a massive problem. This is not an issue that the AFL can sweep under the carpet or in fact influence the outcome in any manner.

• Like 2

My gut feeling is that Golden Boy's aura will ward off any evil spirits

( but I was terribly terribly disappointed to see him and others not wearing the correct regalia at the Public Confession of We Are Shocked)

(surely not to prevent such a picture being re-presented in future articles about " Where We Have Come From")

Pure as driven snow in my opinion and a tragic example of collateral damage

There is nothing borderline about the drug involved. HGH is illegal unless prescribed by a medical practitioner for a prescribed treatment for a defined period. Without a prescription it is illegal to possess or administer the drug under Federal law. This isn't some wafer thin AFL policy, it's Federal law. Yes HGH can be purchased over seas but it is still illegal to import, possess and use the drug in Australia without the appropriate medical clearance .Unless each Essendon player has a legitimate prescription for HGH to treat a pre existing condition they have a massive problem. This is not an issue that the AFL can sweep under the carpet or in fact influence the outcome in any manner.

I bow to your superior knowledge, as I said its only a gut feeling and they've been wrong before.

All I can add is that I hope that more AFL Clubs use the same performance-enhancing drug (?) as Essendon did as they were the only Club that we beat last year (discounting Suns & GWS)!

O50 - if you are right about the seriousness of even inert peptides being used if they were bought illegally - we are going to have a problem of containment. The game can survive 35 unfortunate bannings of players. It will be immeasurably harder on the game to lose Essendon (or any team) for 2 years.

Suddenly, sponsors leave the game as all are tarnished by association, and the AFL has to surrender approx $50m of the TV deal as they are losing a 9th of the games every weekend.

Edit: Over est. money involved. $1.2b/5 x 1/9

Edited by rpfc

Guest José Mourinho

Bovine colostrum would make sense to me.

Anyone remember before one of Geelong's Grand Finals (09?) when Bomba Thompson was in charge, and Max Rooke was struggling to get fit for the match, they sent him to Germany to have calves blood injected into his hamstrings?

At the time, I wondered why the hell he would travel all the way there, when surely someone must be able to perform that procedure here in Australia.

The explanation at the time was that it was experimental and this German doctor was one of few that understood the procedure.

And Jonathon Patton has the same treatment during preseason last year, also leaving the country for it.

Could it be that this treatment, and the calves blood itself is the illegal substance?

That, like Rooke and Patton, there is a loophole allowing players to have it (if they are injured), but it is illegal to purchase and administer here?

- That would see the Essendon players actually absolved of any danger of being charged by ASADA, save for the fact they weren't injured -- explains Evans & Hird being vague about whether it was a prohibited performance-enhancing substance.

- It would explain why the Federal police are involved, and why organised crime would be said to be involved, because the procurement of this substance would be the issue.

- And it shows that Robinson and Dank have past experience with the method, in the way ASADA has intended for it to be ok to use.
Robinson directly from his time at Geelong, and Dank as they 2 spoke almost daily during that time, according to Robinson himself in an interview I read (can't recall where now).

In fact, I'd say the bovine colostrum procedure was obviously discussed while at Essendon with Bruce Reid, who left for GWS and then had Patton put in for the same.
I imagine it was the use as unintended, outside of injury recovery, that had Reid seeing differently.

One thing I really want to know -- are the players using this "Lact-Away", and if not, why??

It worked for Manly, it worked for the Eagles, it worked for Vossy and the Lions, and unless it is now prohibited or there is something better out there, I'd be shocked if the players weren't using it.

*** this is all supposition, but educated supposition from what I've read and heard from sources at other clubs.

Edited by José Mourinho
  • Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

So my prediction is:

- Players uncharged

- Sanctions for Dank and Robinson

- Sanctions for the Essendon football club

- Dank to be prosecuted

• Like 1