Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

player: gee coach you're looking pretty ripped. how do you do it

coach: well i take special supplements with peps. don't do me any harm, but you guys technically can't use them because they are banned

player: yeah stiff that, they'd just catch us out in testing too

coach: not really they are untraceable after 2 hours, but like i said you guys can't use them

player" hmmmm, does Danky have them on his web site?.

coach: yeah, but i didn't tell you that

That nose scratch was almost too obvious. No blinking either - what does that mean? ^_^

He said that some of the coaches were using peptides (or suchlike) that were on WADA's banned list and it sounded like they knew about it (?). Not a good look to say the least. This could take quite some time before it's done with. Better them than us. I wouldn't trust one word he said.

The interviewer's name sounded like the name of a character that Marg Downey would have used on 'Fast Forward' ...

Interesting...read this

• Like 1

Well IMO we are none the wiser after Danks interview and the parent teacher coach interview at Windy Hill.

Dank admitting that coaches used supplements that were "a little bit" outside WADA'S code and not the players is bewildering if anything. Is it a red flag? And what is a little bit? It's either inside or outside.

It tells us nothing except the coaches of all things are experimenting or using peptides. Weird. And a little puzzling. But $10K worth....?

That's just anothe unanswerable question mark over the club for the time being and if you were an Essendon member you would be asking questions.

As for the meeting at Windy Hill, as if we didn't already know that Evans, Hird and co weren't doing everything in the players interests. Shedding a tear or two in front of the parents of the players may have confirmed their care for the players though.... . But as Watson stated they are not exactly sure what the players were administered in the clinic - which they stated from the outset at the initial press conference.

Hence the lengthy investigation underway.

One $30k invoice would buy a lot of Swiss vitamin C tablets........

WTH !

Intravenous vitamins B and C?

If you beleive that rubbish you would have to beleive in Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

There's a limit to the amount of vitamin c that a person can take at any one time. And only a small percentage of that will make it's way into the blood stream. For a sports person, who's body is under an enormous amount of stress, I would imagine IV would be the most effective way of getting vitamin c into their systems.

I don't think there's anything sinister about this practice, the issue is if and what else was administered.

Smart move by him muddying the waters and implicating others. Banned drugs were a part of the club culture but not used by players???? well may be inadvertently.

everyones shooting ovr the Bow.

shoot at me & I'll shoot you down. I have records of everything! ssshh.

Sacrifiscial Lambs are the wepon of silence... silencing the lambs is the name of the big boys game.

Status, Sponsors & money are the quarrie, & it has the game in its dirty grip.

#dit: status.

Edited by dee-luded

There's a limit to the amount of vitamin c that a person can take at any one time. And only a small percentage of that will make it's way into the blood stream. For a sports person, who's body is under an enormous amount of stress, I would imagine IV would be the most effective way of getting vitamin c into their systems.

I don't think there's anything sinister about this practice, the issue is if and what else was administered.

I read "Rough Ride" by Paul Kimmage recently. In the 80's and I'm sure earlier cyclists were having the "vitiam" drips... went well for them, but overall amazing what people will do to get ahead. Race fixing, bribes, uppers etc.

It tells us nothing except the coaches of all things are experimenting or using peptides. Weird. And a little puzzling. But $10K worth....?

I think that it is Danks trying to construct a story as to why he may have purchased supplements on Essendon's behalf that were "a little bit" outside of the WADA guidelines.

Seems pretty implausible to me...

err what about the quantities. They didn't spend $30k on regular vitamin b and c. The inference is pretty straightforward.

A couple of years ago ,the AFL stopped Brisbane from intravenously rehydating players at half time

I don't actually know - but I thought that injections and intravenous feeding were frowned upon ............. perhaps because they were seen as part of a slippery slope to illegal substances. Perhaps not strictly illegal - but certainly not to be encouraged.

Essendon are in trouble because - even if there is no evidence of illegal drugs - they pushed players into taking substances which may have contained traces of marginal substances or substances they didn't fully understand. In some ways getting someone to inject an untested substance is worse than getting them to take a tested but illegal substance. At least there is research on (some) illegal drugs demonstrating that they won't have serious long-term side effects. But nobody knows the full side effects of untested substances..................

For once I don't think this is a typical beat-up. It is reasonable to raise - Why the hell are coaches taking such things? What is the ramification of them being around the club, physically and culturally?

It would be kind of like saying (not exactly of course) you can't use a nasal spray to stop your nose running because it has a banned stimulant in it but me as a coach is free to use it.

Many peptides are not illegal and if a coach is using them so what? I think the media are trying to infer skullduggery just like they did with the "Vault" and Dean Bailey not smiling etc

A couple of years ago ,the AFL stopped Brisbane from intravenously rehydating players at half time

I don't actually know - but I thought that injections and intravenous feeding were frowned upon ............. perhaps because they were seen as part of a slippery slope to illegal substances. Perhaps not strictly illegal - but certainly not to be encouraged.

Essendon are in trouble because - even if there is no evidence of illegal drugs - they pushed players into taking substances which may have contained traces of marginal substances or substances they didn't fully understand. In some ways getting someone to inject an untested substance is worse than getting them to take a tested but illegal substance. At least there is research on (some) illegal drugs demonstrating that they won't have serious long-term side effects. But nobody knows the full side effects of untested substances..................

The only way to get a true reading of players using illegal methods like amino acids is to blood test them on the bench shortly after the 3rd Qtr has begun.

This could stop the rotation problem as well.

The additives they say, last for a round 2 HRS & after which aren't detectable.

The professor said 'Intravenously', only vitamins 'B' & 'C' were used.

But what about intramuscular, & also into belly fat or other parts of the body?

This is another where they want it to go away without any indesputable proof being found.

But Essendon will be slapped down & people will be slapped. The AFL will want this to die off quickly.

err what about the quantities. They didn't spend $30k on regular vitamin b and c. The inference is pretty straightforward.

Fair point. I wonder if they were eligible for a Medicare rebate?

• Like 1

Problem for the AFL: it's out of their control.

ACC and ASADA may *not* want it to die off quickly.

did you see the gathering at the public announcement, with politicians front & centre, & All codes represented with CEO's...

They have worked on their public relations on this fro months, I have No Doubt.

This is an Issue that must be stopped, but don't think for a second that this isn't an planned media exercise to minimise damage.

and to shoot the investigation in its own foot.

the trick is to stop this bad development into the game,, without hurting the game itself, or the public's faith.

the games power & reach, is also its weakness.

did you see the gathering at the public announcement, with politicians front & centre, & All codes represented with CEO's...

They have worked on their public relations on this fro months, I have No Doubt.

This is an Issue that must be stopped, but don't think for a second that this isn't an planned media exercise to minimise damage.

and to shoot the investigation in its own foot.

the trick is to stop this bad development into the game,, without hurting the game itself, or the public's faith.

the games power & reach, is also its weakness.

your pushing it there DL

This is not a media excercise.