Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

You shouldn't have gone in with expectations of Whitney saying anything relevant anyway!

Harley on the other hand, it was quite noticable given what he is normally like.

Well the weapon was at the Catters, before Suns & Bombers. But was dank?

God I hope we are not on drugs for one reason...

If this is our effort whilst doping we truly are stuffed : (

Dank was not at the cats.

Not sure about that.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/02/07/358819_gfc.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

the weapon .......... When he returned home to Australia, he took up a position at the then-Sydney City Roosters, NSW Institute of Sport, and then the Manly Sea Eagles, before joining the Cats in late 2006.

When he arrived at Geelong, he had begun studying for a PhD in physiology and pharmacology, focusing mainly on genetics and training.

His brother, Trent Robinson, is the new head coach of the NRL Roosters.

On the eve of Geelong's Grand Final win in 2007, a weekend in which the Sea Eagles were also playing in the NRL decider, Robinson spoke of his closeness with sports scientist Stephen Dank, who is also under investigation by ASADA and the AFL for his role at Essendon last year.

Robinson and Dank had worked together previously at Manly.

"It is satisfying to have had a hand in both (clubs' success) and Steve has also had a big input here, even though he is not on the payroll here, and never has been," Robinson said at the time.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/02/07/358819_gfc.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The 'Weapon' has known Dank well since the end of '06 . Hird worked with Charter for 12 months in '04. Charter and Dank have known each other and had dealings for a number of years. Thompson worked with the weapon for a number of years at Geelong.

They are all connected and it goes back quite a number of years.

The following article is from 'you know who' so make of it what you will ...

Players' boss comes out swinging at scientists

For those not familiar, Matt Finnis is the AFL players boss ...

It also said substances in some cases were administered to players without their knowledge.

Finnis's comments came as at least two former Bombers confirmed a club high-performance official administered the stomach injections with no club doctor present.

''The evidence in the report is that players have undergone clinical trials so underdeveloped that the substances have not even been placed on the international drug lists,'' Finnis said of the finding. ''That is the most disturbing thing I can say that I have ever read - ever.

Edited by Macca

The 'Weapon' has known Dank well since the end of '06 . Hird worked with Charter for 12 months in '04. Charter and Dank have known each other and had dealings for a number of years. Thompson worked with the weapon for a number of years at Geelong.

Hi Macca.

Maybe it was Hird who recommended the Weapon to Bomba @ the Cats.

Hird may have needed help after his foot & face issues, to get back onto the park.

Hi Macca.

Maybe it was Hird who recommended the Weapon to Bomba @ the Cats.

Hird may have needed help after his foot & face issues, to get back onto the park.

There are any number of permutations 'dl'. Depends on how cynical we want to be and/or whether we can take these people at face value any more. Not sure I can trust any of them now. Sad really, but it's not just our sport.

Not a big fan of Patrick Smith but he was right on the money when he talked about the lying that goes on in footy. Ditto for Dale Lewis re the drug issue (Dale's comments were made about 10 years ago). We were warned (in some ways).

Looks like those who said that there was a probable likelihood of a correlation between recreational drugs and PED'S were correct as well.

A form of 'zero tolerance' could be an answer but what if an athlete is set up? We may have had a whole team that has been set up, though I hope it isn't true. It's an unholy mess if it is true.

Last week, before this whole story broke, I read this fascinating article, coming at drugs from the perspective of a U.S. sports fan. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question

As bad as the current situation is (and however bad it gets), at least here in Australia we're (finally) trying to right the ship. The level of power the players have in the U.S. makes it sound like they'll never have a week like this ... but they'll never be clean, either.

'Macca', I'm finding it hard to believe that the players association and player managers let alone the club didn't know what was going on. 40 plus players on the list and no-one said anything, no one mentioned to their manager that they were asked to sign some document, maybe talked to their association...no-one. I mean we know that Reimers said he talked to players at other clubs, they said nothing.

There's a lot of people protecting their backsides here and I'm not buying any of it. The sports science guys are the evil faceless men, that's too easy to sell, most of us would love to see the Thursday night sausage sizzle and Sunday morning barrel back in footy, these guys are no fun. They have a fair bit to answer for but....

The EFC, player managers and the players union fiddled while Rome burned and the AFL sat on their hands. I'm not buying what they're selling.

• Like 2

'Macca', I'm finding it hard to believe that the players association and player managers let alone the club didn't know what was going on. 40 plus players on the list and no-one said anything, no one mentioned to their manager that they were asked to sign some document, maybe talked to their association...no-one. I mean we know that Reimers said he talked to players at other clubs, they said nothing.

There's a lot of people protecting their backsides here and I'm not buying any of it. The sports science guys are the evil faceless men, that's too easy to sell, most of us would love to see the Thursday night sausage sizzle and Sunday morning barrel back in footy, these guys are no fun. They have a fair bit to answer for but....

The EFC, player managers and the players union fiddled while Rome burned and the AFL sat on their hands. I'm not buying what they're selling.

You could be 100% correct rjay. Hard to argue with anything you've said. Most people in the industry would know what injections to the stomach means (that's if that bit is true,of course).

However, what about all the 18. 19 and 20 year olds? Would they necessarily know what was going on? At that age you may not have the life skills to make a properly thought out decision. If they are guilty, I'm not sure they can all be guilty in the same way.

If the bombers boys have been given or injected with something illegal, but is in a vitamin box, container etc and they are told its vitamins and it looks like vitamins, its hard to see how they have done anything wrong.

Of course, it makes the deception even worse, decepting players re what is going into their bodies...

You could be 100% correct rjay. Hard to argue with anything you've said. Most people in the industry would know what injections to the stomach means (that's if that bit is true,of course).

However, what about all the 18. 19 and 20 year olds? Would they necessarily know what was going on? At that age you may not have the life skills to make a properly thought out decision. If they are guilty, I'm not sure they can all be guilty in the same way.

No matter what comes of this, whether it is found they have taken illegal substances or not the club must be held responsible for putting them in this position.Their managers and their union have at best been incompetent, i think probably worse than that and the AFL have been to busy tilting at windmills.

Their fate could well be in the hands of WADA and with the Armstrong fiasco they may well be screwed through little fault of their own, surely someone asked the question.

• Like 1

I'm finding it hard to believe that it's been so long before anybody has been done for drug cheating..... The last time I remember someone getting done was Justin Charles..... Wow has the league been that clean or has the testing been that bad....

Part of me believes that the AFL it's self has had something to do with all this.... Maybe they have given the nod to certain clubs at certain times... Who knows....

Lol..... And we all thought that we were being bad by wanting our club to tank.....hahaha.... How bout you give us the nod AFL you pack of money hungry bastards...

If the bombers boys have been given or injected with something illegal, but is in a vitamin box, container etc and they are told its vitamins and it looks like vitamins, its hard to see how they have done anything wrong.

Of course, it makes the deception even worse, decepting players re what is going into their bodies...

And it would be in their interest to say that wouldn't it??

The rules are tough but its like Contador saying he ate a steak with steroids in it. Really? Gee that's unlucky.

Its tough for the players but it will be harder on the club because it has been sanctioned by their own processes. They are cactus.

There are any number of permutations 'dl'. Depends on how cynical we want to be and/or whether we can take these people at face value any more. Not sure I can trust any of them now. Sad really, but it's not just our sport.

Not a big fan of Patrick Smith but he was right on the money when he talked about the lying that goes on in footy. Ditto for Dale Lewis re the drug issue (Dale's comments were made about 10 years ago). We were warned (in some ways).

Looks like those who said that there was a probable likelihood of a correlation between recreational drugs and PED'S were correct as well.

A form of 'zero tolerance' could be an answer but what if an athlete is set up? We may have had a whole team that has been set up, though I hope it isn't true. It's an unholy mess if it is true.

Agreed mate.

Thats why I'm cynical.

Because of the over adulteration of the issues in footy, by the afl. they twist & delay, & spin everything, to try to work an outcome, instead of letting us, the footy public, deal with it, after they present us with the truth.

They don't trust in an outcome, so they try to shape it they way they like it, for the sponsors.

THIS IS, where they start to GO Wrong... downhill from there.

• Like 1

This will all start spewing out on monday......Hotel rooms will be busy on the weekend having meetings

Hope 4 corners is onto it all.

They can sure swear a lot on that 'Bomber Blitz' site. Very unbecoming and rather uncouth like, I must say ^_^

They're probably feeling a little stressed so in some ways it's understandable. Reading the main thread over there is eerily like reading some of our threads (in the early days of our investigation)

Have never liked Essendon but I genuinely hope they somehow are absolved of guilt for their sake and for the game's sake.

Not looking good though as each day passes.

BomberBlitz is the least of their worries!!

Bomber Thompson could be in for a rough ride...

It's hard to believe in a lot ways. I've tried to imagine how it would feel if it were us. The repercussions would be enormous if they've transgressed.

Worse case scenario is they don't play for 2 years and because of that, they'd be set back 6-10 years. WADA have said there will be no deal done if there is guilt.(re the PED's / Peptides)

Reverse the 2000 flag and Brownlow, sack Hird and Bomber, get on with the game.

We need some easybeats in the comp.

Bomber will go, Hird, Evans and Robson should. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

lol.... 13 flag by default..... Hehehe.... I like it....

I'm sus about the hawks in 1988 as well....

They may not be able to prove banned substances, but signed agreements outside the playing contract, prabably as a result of coercion, injecting players and in the stomach as well, (by non club personnel) and knowing about the above for at least a year, before contacting the AFL, will land the Bombers in a heavy penalty zone, even if there is no guilty finding on the substances injected.

• Like 1