Carlton tanking

Gorgoroth

I wouldn't blame the AFL for turning a blind eye.

We can't risk damaging the reputation of the AFL anymore - whats done is done but that doesn't mean it can't be prevented in the future

I wouldn't blame the AFL for turning a blind eye.

We can't risk damaging the reputation of the AFL anymore - whats done is done but that doesn't mean it can't be prevented in the future

Young Dee, if they tanked they need to suffer, just as we did

• Like 5

My big question is who gets the rights to pick 1, i think we should get it.

which two players?

Wouldn't mind Marc Murphy and pick 9, doubt they'd do it but still.

I sense that buddy will stay with the hawks. So, this year will be a merry go round. all sorts will be deeffected by his decision.

So this allows carlton into the picture, as I don't think we have the ammunition to garner the Pick 1 from GWS,,, or not prepared to give up the players it would take to get it.

.... unless 1 player with a new contract decided he wanted the money he could get up there. then & only then would we be in a shot to trade for P1.

I think it would take a couple of our players to get it done. highly unlikely. but interesting.

also imo the Bombers, Crows Lions Eagles & Roos will all try their hands. I'm of the opinion that the middle ladder are all 'having a dip', competing for advantage with one another as we speak.

P?."bummers"

---------------

P9.Carlton
P10.Adelaide
P11.Kangaroos
P12.W_Coast
P13.Gold_Coast
P14.Brisbane
P15.W_Bulldogs
P16.St_Kilda
P17.Melbourne
P18.G_W_Sydney

I'd like Boyd & Aish or other. but I don't think it will happen.

next week will tell us all about our fortunes.

Has anyone thought of Brett Ratten as a possible coach?

Yes, repeatedly across this forum and the 'other' forum. He is an outstanding prospect and I would prefer him to Eade by miles.

• Like 2

A strong rumour from Carlton suggests that not only does Malthouse intend dumping at least 10 players, he also will dispense with the services of the staff who remain from the Ratten era. It's going to be a significant clean out.

They at least will do the nasty stuff required to 'grow" and develop.

And some here want to pick up their 'has beens"

Some need to think these things through. If some of these players arent good enough to get them across the line why on earth should we look to get them..!! Just so they can fail to get US across the line too ??

• Like 2

They at least will do the nasty stuff required to 'grow" and develop.

And some here want to pick up their 'has beens"

Some need to think these things through. If some of these players arent good enough to get them across the line why on earth should we look to get them..!! Just so they can fail to get US across the line too ??

Correct. Stay away from Carltank's Garage sale.

The problems they have are very similar to ours.

Soft skiers.

• Like 2

Jon Ralph in the sun today quotes Libba and Fev saying " yes we tanked" and giving examples.

Brock never actually said we tanked. That was enough to start the ball rolling again.

This is stronger language and far more concise and definite.

You can absolutely guarantee, from the Fitzpatrick led Commission, that nothing will happen.

If they say this was investigated, that is pathetic as we were investigated the year before the inquiry and they still did us over a year later on Brock's hint at tanking.

One rule for the powerful and protected and another for the weak.

• Like 12

Comment to the Melbourne Footy Club

Dont even think about selecting ex Carlton players they are softer than we are and are damaged goods Worse culture than us tried to buy premierships suffer from a worse Messiah complex than us Sit back and watch Malthouse melt! Enjoy.

Danger Danger Danger !

• Like 4

Has anyone thought of Brett Ratten as a possible coach? He's got experience, has silverware (the Kreuzer Cup) and did a reasonable job with the Blues getting them to within a poofteenth of making a preliminary final when they narrowly lost to the Eagles in Perth in 2011 which is always a tough gig. Last year, he was disgracefully and unceremoniously dumped from the Carlton job after injury cruelled his club's season. Despite that, his record in 2012 compares well with that of Mick Malthouse this year. He hasn't won premierships like Roos and Choco or made a grannie like Eade but he did work wonders when he was our midfield coach several years ago. Currently Assistant Coach at the Hawks so he's working in a successful environment.

Once we have him installed as coach, we could get On the Couch to interview him and Mike Sheahan might want to ask him what sort of environment his former club offered Brock McLean that was better than the one he was leaving at Melbourne.

Seriously though, there's no hope of an AFL tanking investigation into the Blues despite the stupid utterance of one journalist that "if Carlton is guilty then the current mood of the AFL indicates that club, too, will be forensically examined and punished." The AFL's system of kangaroo courts is busily engaged elsewhere at the moment.

I've thought about it but I'm not a great fan of Ratten as Senior Coach. Would be very happy to have him as midfield coach, though.

He may have done better than Mick Malthouse at Carlton, but I suspect that says more about Malthouse and his motives for coaching (ie, to spite Collingwood) than it does about Ratten.

I think Carlton are likely to go back before they go forward with most of their best players close to or past 30 years of age.

• Like 1

Comment to the Melbourne Footy Club

Dont even think about selecting ex Carlton players they are softer than we are and are damaged goods Worse culture than us tried to buy premierships suffer from a worse Messiah complex than us Sit back and watch Malthouse melt! Enjoy.

Danger Danger Danger !

jackaub

Danger Danger Danger Will Robinson!

Leigh Matthews said today he can't see what the Bombers have done wrong, that brings the game into disrepute.

Clearly giving players 20 or more injections in their stomaches, not knowing what was in the injections, being unaware of possible side effects, destroying the injecting records, having secret waivers as to the injections in direct breach of AFL rules on lodging all player documents with the AFL and not controlling the administration of substances to players doesn't constitute bringing the game into disrepute according to Lethal.

I know what constitutes bringing the game into disrepute, an official cracking a joke, about draft picks, in a private meeting at club offices. Yeah Lethal, that is disgusting. Worse still the joke wasn't that funny.

• Like 4

Anything interesting on Open Mike?

Very interesting.

Libba said that under the definition of tanking given by Mike that Carlton, not the players, went out to deliberately loose matches.

Edited by rjay

Sheahan: 2008, you're back in the headlines for implying strongly that Carlton hasn't been trying in certain games, at the height of the tanking issue. You backed away from that did you not?

Libba: No I didn't back away from that. Players will always try on the football ground..

S: That's a given.

L: Yep, so that's the misconception about tanking..they were managed in a different way. Now, I still believe that's something that occurred. I mean, we had things that were put in place. We had players who at the time were told, "don't play for the rest of the year, the last three of four games, you've got an injured shin", or whatever. And to me that's tanking, isn't it?

S: Well, let's be clear here. I agree with you that no-one, even those of us who thought tanking existed have ever said the players weren't trying. What we say tanking is, is a football club constructing a team that won't play at its best, by either leaving blokes out, playing them in odd positions or taking them off the ground.

L: Well that's it then.

S: Did that happen at Carlton?

L: Yes.

S: So, for clarity here, you're saying that when you were at Carlton, there were days when Carlton weren't doing everything in their power to play at their best.

L: If you're pulling players off the ground, Brendan Fevola at certain times, then I'd say yes.

S: Did the AFL come to you and explore those claims?

S: Did you stand firm on that or did you back away?

L: Um, did I back away? I spoke to Rod Austin who was working at the time for the AFL. I gave him an interview of what I saw, and that was it. Then he basically just said "thanks for that", and then the next thing you hear it's via the newspapers, Carlton didn't tank. *shrugs*

S: So your view is still clear in your mind that there were times when Carlton didn't do everything in their power to win the game of footy, which we would call tanking.

L: If you want to use that word, or "list management".

• Like 3

Sheahan: 2008, you're back in the headlines for implying strongly that Carlton hasn't been trying in certain games, at the height of the tanking issue. You backed away from that did you not?

Libba: No I didn't back away from that. Players will always try on the football ground..

S: That's a given.

L: Yep, so that's the misconception about tanking..they were managed in a different way. Now, I still believe that's something that occurred. I mean, we had things that were put in place. We had players who at the time were told, "don't play for the rest of the year, the last three of four games, you've got an injured shin", or whatever. And to me that's tanking, isn't it?

S: Well, let's be clear here. I agree with you that no-one, even those of us who thought tanking existed have ever said the players weren't trying. What we say tanking is, is a football club constructing a team that won't play at its best, by either leaving blokes out, playing them in odd positions or taking them off the ground.

L: Well that's it then.

S: Did that happen at Carlton?

S: So, for clarity here, you're saying that when you were at Carlton, there were days when Carlton weren't doing everything in their power to play at their best.

L: If you're pulling players off the ground, Brendan Fevola at certain times, then I'd say yes.

S: Did the AFL come to you and explore those claims?

S: Did you stand firm on that or did you back away?

L: Um, did I back away? I spoke to Rod Austin who was working at the time for the AFL. I gave him an interview of what I saw, and that was it. Then he basically just said "thanks for that", and then the next thing you hear it's via the newspapers, Carlton didn't tank. *shrugs*

S: So your view is still clear in your mind that there were times when Carlton didn't do everything in their power to win the game of footy, which we would call tanking.

L: If you want to use that word, or "list management".

All very incestuous. Spoke to Rod Austin who gave the all clear - a bit like Mike Fitzpatrick now running the Commission at that great bastion of highly selective integrity, the AFL.

• Like 4