Worst season ever?

DoreenDee

The Frank Traynor Jazz Band at the Beaumaris pub was a good place for white shoes in the 70's

Wednesdays if i remember correctly.

(used to live round the corner from the ol Beauie, when it was a real pub )

• Like 1

Having watched the majority of 1981 games, I remember in more than two thirds of those games we were very competative for 3 quarters at least and got blown away in the last. The side of the last two seasons has plumbed deeper depths of mediocrity for sure.

Edited by america de cali

Some great bands at the Beauie

used to be a brilliant pub and staggering distance home. perfect :)

Having watched the majority of 1981 games, I remember in more than two thirds of those games we were very competative for 3 quarters at least and got blown away in the last. The side of the last two seasons has plumbed deeper depths of mediocrity for sure.

It's what happens when you're trying to become the hardest side to play against, The Anithesis Syndrome.

I think this team is far worse than 1981.

We are about to get smashed in consecutive weeks by the new franchaise teams.

It totally sucks

Whiteboard Wednesday......remember!!

It is much worse because expectations have been lowered to the level of non-existence by anyone connected with the club and anyone who commentates about the club. At the moment it's like we are not really in the competition; just an apparition which shows up for a ceremonial flogging. the melbourne brand has been effectively de-branded. i drive past the mcg and feel physically sick. this year is the first in very many that i have stayed away because of the emotional trashing which follows a day watching the boys go round. still, the afl needs us, if only because the smith/barassi legend is itself intrinsic to the competition's own self-image, or brand. that is our saving grace.

PS a little edit to tidy up my message.

Edited by bush demon

It is much worse because expectations have been lowered to the level of non-existence by anyone connected with the club and anyone who commentates about the club. At the moment it's like we are not really in the competition; just an apparition which shows up for a ceremonial flogging. the melbourne brand has been effectively de-branded. i drive past the mcg and feel physically sick. this year is the first in very many that i have stayed away because of the emotional trashing which follows a day watching the boys go round. still, the afl needs us, if only because the smith/barassi branding is itself intrinsic to the competition. that is our saving grace.

I like this, a Demonic Flaying, it's not so far from the truth.

Geez mention of the Beauie pub brings back some fond memories (of the 60s in my case, and definitely before white shoes came into vogue). I hail from just up the road at Black Rock, but attended Beauie High. At that time Black Rock was part of the Dees recruiting zone, but I think Beaumaris might have been in StKilda's. Johnny Beckwith was recruited to the Dees from 'the Rocks' and went on to captain the (then) mighty Demons to two premierships, and earn a permanent place in VFL / AFL folklore for his precision kicking from the back pocket.

This thread has digressed way off course, but isn't it nice to be discussing the Dees in a positive vein?

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 1

Geez mention of the Beauie pub brings back some fond memories (of the 60s in my case, and definitely before white shoes came into vogue). I hail from just up the road at Black Rock, but attended Beauie High. At that time Black Rock was part of the Dees recruiting zone, but I think Beaumaris might have been in StKilda's. Johnny Beckwith was recruited to the Dees from 'the Rocks' and went on to captain the (then) mighty Demons to two premierships, and earn a permanent place in VFL / AFL folklore for his precision kicking from the back pocket.

This thread has digressed way off course, but isn't it nice to be discussing the Dees in a positive vein?

Grew up in Sandringham & Black Rock DoF....Great time to be there...The old art deco Clock tower still lives!!!

Grew up in Sandringham & Black Rock DoF....Great time to be there...The old art deco Clock tower still lives!!!

Jack Watts territory!

Jack Watts territory!

hes Brighton...phooooey !!! lol

I heard he was cruel but fair and once nailed someone's head to a table.

He was a smashing Bloke, used to give his mother flowers.....

But we have footage of him nailing your wifes head to a coffee table

oh yeah he did that, but i had to insist...!!

Edited by why you little

1919 would be our the worst season. 16 games played Wins = 0 43%

I can safely say I wasnt around back then, but perhaps WJ can shed some light on some of our performances he watched that year.

I cant remember any team playing as insipid as this current lot.

Our club had been ravaged by a world war (and probably the flu pandemic I would imagine) you must take into account.

No such excuses this time around.

Sorry to bring the board down with more negative topics but I was just curious as to what has been our worst season on record? Is it this year being that we look like winning 2 games out of 23 played? I honestly stopped investing as much (emotionally, unfortunately not financially!) as I usually do quite a few rounds ago, but I'm just hoping that if this is as low as it get's then all is not lost and as they say it's always darkest just before the dawn. So if this is rock bottom then everyone should climb back on and enjoy the ride back up.

As a kid l used to watch Demons get thrashed every week during the 70's & early 80's and they weren't much chop then but at least they seemed to put in all the time. This year is by far the worst l have ever seen, no ticker, just pathetic.

Our club had been ravaged by a world war (and probably the flu pandemic I would imagine) you must take into account.

No such excuses this time around.

I was thinking the same as I wrote that. (dont mention the Germans)

I dont want to play down the war,but... not even that lasted 50 yrs. Its almost as though we have been sabotaged since the late 60s.

We have so many great players since those days. But too much left to too few. But at least back then there were a handful to keep the interest going.

Now zilch. I cant wait for per-season when they are training the house down. Then get smashed in the NAB Cup. This cycle better end in 2014.

yeah, used to go to them Beauie every friday night when, like you said, it was a real pub. Beautiful women too.

Grew up in Sandringham

Same here. 3yrs old until 15. Somewhere in there someone told me I was zoned to Hawthorn. Does anyone know how hard it was back then to find a kidnapper that was willlng to keep me in lockdown in the Bentleigh area. When you need one, nothing!!

Had some good footballers from around there. Remember Gary Hardeman Chelt . Pretty sure Watts lives (d) in Sandy, Went to Brighton, oh well nobody is perfect.