The Darwin Effect

titan_uranus

Here is what's happened after each Darwin game.

2013 - 122 point loss to North Melbourne. 40 scoring shots to 8. Disposals: 439-290. Inside 50s: 66-30

2012 - 54 point loss to North Melbourne. 32 scoring shots to 18. Disposals: 429-337. Inside 50s: 62-37.

2011 - 54 point loss to Hawthorn. 32 scoring shots to 18. Disposals: 409-298. Inside 50s: 59-39.

2010 - 54 point loss to Geelong. 31 scoring shots to 17. Disposals: 434-328. Inside 50s: 57-37.

Aside from the amazing coincidence of three consecutive 54 point margins, each year we've been uncompetitive, unable to get the ball.

We need the money, but is Darwin worth it?

• Like 2

Not sure about the Darwin effect it but I reckon we'd be candidates for a Darwin Award.

• Like 2

Yep Darwin is a disaster and we must request a bye after our games there as our first priority of the future every year.

Besides that we need to rotate the team between the games.

Why demonland gets it but the mfc footy department doesn't is beyond me.

Here's the best thing.... It's not just a one week effect. See 2011

• Like 1

Pathetic thread under the circumstances. We are a disgraceful football team.

Granted, our opposition in 2010, 2011 and 2011 were all finalists, and that clearly will have had an effect, but in 2010 and 2011 we won 8.5 games each year, so we weren't the basket case we have been the last two years.

More importantly, it's the type of game we serve up each year after Darwin. No effort, can't get our hands on the ball, uncompetitive.

It is just another one of our problems. Me personally I wouldn't go back.

Agree on both points.

I'm certainly not trying to say that if we stop going to Darwin we start winning, or anything like that. I'm merely questioning the merits of Darwin as a financial gain.

I think it'd also be worth checking how our opposition from the Darwin game fared the next game after as well

Fair enough:

2010 - Port Adelaide had a 47 point loss to Richmond. 27 scoring shots to 15. 319 disposals to 299. 50 inside 50s to 47 (i.e. Port had more).

2011 - Port Adelaide had a 32 point loss to Adelaide. 31 scoring shots to 24. 398 disposals to 348. 61 inside 50s to 41.

2012 - Port Adelaide had a 27 point loss to Fremantle. 20 scoring shots to 18. 345 disposals to 361 (i.e. Port had more). 44 inside 50s to 43.

Here is what's happened after each Darwin game.

2013 - 122 point loss to North Melbourne. 40 scoring shots to 8. Disposals: 439-290. Inside 50s: 66-30

2012 - 54 point loss to North Melbourne. 32 scoring shots to 18. Disposals: 429-337. Inside 50s: 62-37.

2011 - 54 point loss to Hawthorn. 32 scoring shots to 18. Disposals: 409-298. Inside 50s: 59-39.

2010 - 54 point loss to Geelong. 31 scoring shots to 17. Disposals: 434-328. Inside 50s: 57-37.

Aside from the amazing coincidence of three consecutive 54 point margins, each year we've been uncompetitive, unable to get the ball.

We need the money, but is Darwin worth it?

We lose like that every week, so what has Darwin got to do with it, worst post I have ever read.

We lose like that every week, so what has Darwin got to do with it, worst post I have ever read.

2010 and 2011 we certainly didn't but we played good opponents. Even today our first half showed signs of life against a good first half team and with a pretty ordinary side in. Our second half showed zero energy.

We took a group of guys who have been training and playing in average temps in the low teens and played a game in 26 degrees with who knows what humidity. Plus we had a young side in late in the year where everyone needs rest anyway. Frawley, Dunn, Sylvia and Nath Jones probably played at their standards today, everyone else in the second half looked more lethargic than our usual bad self.

Darwin must be a factor.

The most damning this is I believe the 186 game happened 2 weeks after Darwin.

Cameron Pedersen did not play last week. Just pay him out now and show him the door.

He's an exception. Darwin might've been good for him!

I think we should pay him out and if we lose a list spot from the AFLPA for doing it then so be it. He can't have anything to offer around the VFL boys I don't want our youngsters learning how to play AFL by following his insipid lead.

Quite right. Schwab should have kicked 100 goals and won the Brownlow as well. Let us down badly.

A bit flippant from both you and h_h.

Yes, clearly Schwab wasn't able to do anything on the field, but it's not exactly a bad call to say the time he spent at the club has hurt us and may well hurt us into the future.

I hope the Darwin sojurn is stopped.

It is no more than a desperate money grab.

The MFC should be more concerned with its heart & soul membership.

There is a tipping point and i am mighty close to that edge now.

If the players don't care why should the membership?

The cost of living is going up & up...

Serious times are ahead for the MFC.

Without drastic changes i fear the old girl may not be around in 5-10 years.

Clearly picking today as the day to start this discussion wasn't great, as the simple minded think I've said 'Melbourne sucks because of Darwin'.

Quite obviously, Darwin is a small factor in a huge problem.

I just wanted to see what the effect of playing Darwin, if any was, and whether people think that the money gained from going up there is enough to warrant the residual effect that playing up there has in later weeks. From the stats and the looks of our performances the last four years, I'd say it's having quite a negative effect on us, and I'm not sure that's worth the money. Of course, whilst we're a bottom 2 side it doesn't matter too much, but there are other places to sell home games too if we need the money and this one doesn't appear to be helping us much.

Clearly picking today as the day to start this discussion wasn't great, as the simple minded think I've said 'Melbourne sucks because of Darwin'.

Quite obviously, Darwin is a small factor in a huge problem.

I just wanted to see what the effect of playing Darwin, if any was, and whether people think that the money gained from going up there is enough to warrant the residual effect that playing up there has in later weeks. From the stats and the looks of our performances the last four years, I'd say it's having quite a negative effect on us, and I'm not sure that's worth the money. Of course, whilst we're a bottom 2 side it doesn't matter too much, but there are other places to sell home games too if we need the money and this one doesn't appear to be helping us much.

Mate, we have been terrible the last 4 years, that's why I think it's impossible to analyze the effects of one game when there is no context for it.

Yep Darwin is a disaster and we must request a bye after our games there as our first priority of the future every year.

Besides that we need to rotate the team between the games.

Why demonland gets it but the mfc footy department doesn't is beyond me.

Here's the best thing.... It's not just a one week effect. See 2011

Funny, all I read here was praise for only one change and the stability

• Like 1

Dont know about the Darwin effect but we deserved a Darwin award today.