Another Board member resigns

jackaub

Guy Jalland announced his resignation from the board.

Must be pretty quiet at the board meetings now.

Spargo and the minute taker I would guess.

PETER SPARGO - INTERIM PRESIDENT

Spargo.jpgPeter was named interim president following the resignation of former president Don McLardy in June, 2013.

Peter is the Managing Director and owner of family companies associated in the oil industry, and now involved property development. He currently employs over 200 staff.

Peter holds a Bachelor of Economics and all his working life been associated with retail businesses. He is well versed in all aspects of business and is well placed to identify revenue opportunities for the club.

Peter serves on the joint MFC/MCC, Bentleigh Club, Commercial sub committee.

He is a life long Melbourne supporter and has a strong family connection with the Melbourne Cricket Club. Peter is an MCC member.

Peter is also involved with community football as a major sponsor of the Prahran Junior FC.

Peter and his family are also commercial sponsors of our club.

Peter is married to Kate and has four sons, all Demons.

GEOFF FREEMAN

FreemanEdit.jpgGeoff Freeman was a founding partner ( 1975 ) of Freeman McMurrick. He holds an advanced diploma in financial services and is a qualified practising insurance broker. The business went on to become the largest privately owned Insurance Broking House in Australia. In 2006, Freeman McMurrick was acquired by international insurance giant, Aon, the worlds largest insurance broker. Geoff continues to serve on the Aon Australian Advisory Board and other industry boards.

Geoff is married to Lesley and has two children and six grandchildren. He is a lifelong Melbourne supporter and a Foundation Hero.

KAREN HAYES

Hayes.jpgKaren has extensive general management, human resources and strategic consulting experience in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Canada, the United States and many European countries.

Prior to joining Guide Dogs Victoria, as CEO, in November 2011, Karen was the Director, Corporate Engagement and Human Capital with UXC Limited, an ASX300 company and the largest Australian owned ICT Company in the country.

Karen was previously CEO for Planpower, a dominant player in the project management and business consulting arena and one of 10 Business Units of the UXC Group.

She is a past finalist in the Telstra Business Woman of the Year Awards, has been on the Board for the Breast Cancer Network Australia since its inception in 1998 and was appointed to the Board of the Melbourne Football Club in 2006.

GREG HEALY

Healy.jpgHailing from Edithvale-Aspendale, and winner of the Morrish Medal in 1983 as Best and Fairest in the Reserves competition, Greg Healy made his senior debut with Melbourne in 1984, five years after older brother Gerard, who departed for the Sydney Swans at the end of 1985.

Best and Fairest in 1986, Healy was renowned for his ball winning and tenacity. Made vice captain in 1987, in 1988 - aged just 22 - he succeeded Robert Flower as captain of the Melbourne Football Club. It was by no means an easy role for Sugar Healy, but the strength of character that was so much part of his makeup helped him to persevere.

Playing a vital role through Melbournes late 1980s resurgence, Healy was an integral part of the teams finals makeup, including a memorable encounter with brother Gerard in the first semi-final of 1987, when Melbourne downed the Swans by 76 points, following up on a 118 point demolition of the Kangaroos in the elimination final.

After leading Melbourne to the Grand Final in 1988, Healy then took charge for the 1989 night premiership win over Geelong. With his consistency serving the team well into the new decade, it was deflating for all when Healy suffered an Achilles injury, which curtailed his pre-season heading into 1990. Relinquishing the captaincy to Garry Lyon for the 1991 season, Healy suffered a serious knee injury after just three games in 1991. He played eleven games in 1992, and eight in 1993, and was a member of the Clubs Reserves premiership in the same year, before bowing out as a Life Member in the same year.

With 141 games and 167 goals to his credit, Healy went on to continue his connection with the Club, serving as a Board member in 1997 and 1998, and being named as a Hero of the Club for its 150th birthday in 2008, as well as being inducted into the MFC Hall of Fame in the same year. He now returns to continue the link first forged so long ago, taking on the role of director in a casual vacancy capacity.

RUSSEL HOWCROFT

Howcroft.jpgRussel Howcroft is Executive GM of Network Ten.

Previously Russel was the Regional CEO of the Y&R Group ANZ and CEO of The Furnace, the Havas-owned agency he co-founded as Brandhouse in 1995, Russel has also worked for McCann Erickson and Lowe Howard-Spink in London and did a previous stint at George Patterson.

Russel is a permanent panel member of Andrew Dentons new ABC TV show The Gruen Plant" and a regular media contributor.

As the former Chairman of the Advertising Federation of Australia, Russel has addressed a number of major industry issues, from self-regulation to agency remuneration; helped build a strong relationship with the AANA (Australian Association of National Advertisers), and launched the worlds first agency accreditation programme. He is married to Kate and has three children Claudia, Charlie and Louis (demons all).

DAVID THURIN

Thurin.jpgDavid Thurin is Managing Director and Owner of Tigcorp, a privately owned company that owns, develops and manages retirement communities. Tigcorp also has a general investment arm, focusing on both listed investments and private equity.

David also worked for property developer and manager; The Gandel Group of Companies. He was a Director for fourteen years and Joint Managing Director of both the Gandel Group and Gandel Retail Management for six years during a period of accelerated growth.

David has a medical background, and was in private practice for over a decade, holding post-graduate qualifications in obstetrics and gynaecology as well as general practice. He also holds a Masters Degree in Management from Stanford University, California.

He is currently a Director of Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute and the former President of the International Diabetes Institute. He is also a member of the World Presidents Organisation and the MCC.

David sits on the MFC HR Compliance and Remuneration Subcommittee.

David is married to Lisa and they have three children and all the family members are passionate Demons and Foundations Heroes.

JOHN TROTTER

Trotter.jpg

John has been a director of the Melbourne Football Club since 10 November 2010. John is the Chair of the Clubs Audit, Risk & Governance Committee and a member of the Bentleigh Club and MFC / MCC sub Committees. He has particular involvement at the Board level on the governance structures, risk management and finance operations of the club as well as being on the Committee of Melbourne Business Community network.

John recently retired from his role as Managing Partner of Deloitte Victoria and advisory member of the Deloitte New Zealand Board after 37 years in the accounting profession. At Deloitte he was a member of the firms national executive for 14 years, was Global Managing Partner of Risk Services for 2 years and Asia Pacific Managing Partner for 5 years. He has consulted to some of the worlds and Australias leading businesses focussing on corporate governance, risk management and strategic revenue growth.

He is currently Chairman of Entity Solutions Pty Ltd. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He also holds a Bachelor of Commerce from Melbourne University.

Johns football background extends more than 40 years with Old Brighton Grammarians Football Club where he has filled a number of roles from player to President. John also played a key role in the formation of the peace Team from the middle East, which has participated in the AFL international Cup competitions

So this is who is left on the board. WJ says that Healy should be next to go.

Who do you think will remain, if any, on the newly constituted board.

• Like 1

I would of tthought Healy would be one of the ones that we'd want to keep seeing as he's the only one with a footy background.

Not suprised Jalland resigned. He's based in Sydney as I believe it so that would make it difficult.

I'll give him credit that before the Collingwood match he addressed the members in the Lindsay Hassett room and the MC wasn't going to allow any questions from the members, much to one members disgust who raised his hand to ask a question the moment Jalland finished speaking. Instead of then making a run for it, Jalland approached the gentleman and spoke to him and everyone on his table for the best part of half an hour which I thought was really good of him and the way the it should be.

Thanks for all the work that you've put in Guy.

Thanks for the info Chippy.

The remaining board are all obviously outstanding individuals who have demonstrated skills and abilities in management and commercial activities.

So what went wrong? Why hasn't it been effective?

• Like 1

So this is who is left on the board. WJ says that Healy should be next to go.Who do you think will remain, if any, on the newly constituted board.

Correction. I said that if the fact that four different football department members had to answer to Cameron Schwab was the reason for the club's problems and alleged dysfunctionality then would not the director in charge of football also be responsible for that failing and therefore would his continued role on the board be justified?

Correction. I said that if the fact that four different football department members had to answer to Cameron Schwab was the reason for the club's problems and alleged dysfunctionality then would not the director in charge of football also be responsible for that failing and therefore would his continued role on the board be justified?

I was just using less words Jack

Edited by Chippy

Good...he was one of CS's big supporters.

Undecided about Healy but he was definitely 'asleep at the wheel' as far as being a football director. Still not sure what Howcroft is doing and think he maybe one of the liniment sniffers.

I was particularly underwhelmed by Karen Hayes when she "presented" to the members after a game a while back.

Not sure what she does around the place - perhaps "strategic consulting" based on the profile, which strikes me as rather tokenistic. That may be completely unfair...

I would be in favour of a smaller board moving forward.

Incidentally, according to the constitution the number of directors must be >=6 and <=12

edit: typo

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

Yeah the businessmen and women will come and go. What we need is a strong leader and some footy knowledge. Healy has a bad track record but he is one out as a footy person and has been briefed by Schwab and Neeld for too long. An experienced CEO and coach reporting to him might just open his eyes.

He has to be in for it though. As in playing and active role representing the board (Be it an AFL appointed one or not) in dealings with the revamped FD.

It's been a disappointing week with no new presidential contenders and Jeff shutting up. I thought at one stage we'd be up to about 10 candidates for the job by now!

Incidentally, according to the constitution the number of directors must be >=6 and <=12

I don't have a copy of the constitution. Can you confirm what it says about board appointments with regards to vacancies?

Many incorporated associations will have in their rules a clause that says if there is a vacancy and someone nominates they are elected unless there are more nominations than positrons in which case the is a vote.

If we have a board of 6 or 8 bit or constitution allows up to 12, can anyone stand and be automatically appointed without a vote?

It states Healy is in a "casual vacancy" role - can anyone elaborate on exactly what that means? He's only been there a short time so not sure he can be hung out to dry but if Leoncelli wants back in now that Schwab & McLardy have gone I'd be more inclined to have him there.

It states Healy is in a "casual vacancy" role - can anyone elaborate on exactly what that means? He's only been there a short time so not sure he can be hung out to dry but if Leoncelli wants back in now that Schwab & McLardy have gone I'd be more inclined to have him there.

His position has to be voted on at the AGM or EGM before it is ratified.

With a minimum of 6 board members, according to the constitution, we will more than likely nominate a few more casuals if any if any more board members resign.

I don't have a copy of the constitution. Can you confirm what it says about board appointments with regards to vacancies?

Many incorporated associations will have in their rules a clause that says if there is a vacancy and someone nominates they are elected unless there are more nominations than positrons in which case the is a vote.

If we have a board of 6 or 8 bit or constitution allows up to 12, can anyone stand and be automatically appointed without a vote?

Ok, I'll start with a disclaimer of sorts...

The Directors section (and items relevant to your questions) is longer and more complicated than the simple number of directors figure I offered; I don't want to seem "precious" but it's a legal document and I don't want to quote that section in isolation. (IE without definitions, related clauses/sections etc)

I'm not sure I feel comfortable posting it / linking to it in its entirety given the club doesn't have it publicly accessible anywhere (not sure if that is just incidental or specific policy).

I'd encourage anyone interested to request a copy of the document from the club.

That said, my understanding / interpretation (which may be totally incorrect!) and in my own words is that the board can appoint directors anytime except during a general meeting. Anyone appointed by the board automatically retires at the next meeting but is eligible for (re)election at that meeting.

A member can also be nominated by 2 voting members (them not being one of those 2) 30 days prior to a general meeting, provided the nominee has signed the directors consent form.

As you say, if the number of candidates is <= vacancies the candidates are automatically deemed (re)elected, otherwise a ballot is required.

I would like to see the board kept to the essentials of a President, Football Person, Marketing Person, Commercial Business Person and Legal Person, not sure if we need anyone else but open for a better idea.

Dr my understanding is that he was in a casual vacancy role until the feb 2013 AGM.

I was there and I am fairly confident he was elected unapposed at that meeting.

This would make him a full board member.

It is my understanding that he came on in a casual role after the 2012 AGM

He has IMO been on the board for at least 12 - 14 months.

The MFC web site probably has not caught up.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

I was particularly underwhelmed by Karen Hayes when she "presented" to the members after a game a while back.

Not sure what she does around the place - perhaps "strategic consulting" based on the profile, which strikes me as rather tokenistic. That may be completely unfair...

I would be in favour of a smaller board moving forward.

edit: typo

I think she will go next.

• Like 3

Big believer in quality over quantity

Constitutions are not set in stone and the number of board members should be a guide not a requirement

IMO the board should be rolled over 100% and those seeking to stay should reapply

Being a board member is more to do with your business and administration ability and not your sporting ability

This should be a FRESH start at every level

I am over this spin doctor and perception based approach to running a football club where you do get found out in the end

It is one way to ensure a new direction thus gaining some confidence from our current sponsors , future sponsors and the supporters

The football department is where your football expertise matters and it is about time we got these people at Melbourne

Edited by Swampfox
  • Like 1

Big believer in quality over quantity

Constitutions are not set in stone and the number of board members should be a guide not a requirement

I'm not sure that's right. They can be changed of course but usually after a detailed process and ballot of members etc etc