WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

So in 2014 time we will possibly have the most sort after coach, AFL cash, Priority Pick, Jesse Hogan,Geoff Walsh and highly regarded assistants. Those who felt sorry for us will quickly have that feeling turn to hatred. SWEET!

• Like 4

How long is Brett Kirk contracted for over in Perth? i wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty keen to coach alongside Roosy and Roosy pretty keen to have him there.

Good question. I doubt it would matter though.

Kirk is an Albury lad so will possibly prefer a move back to the east coast.

Edited by McQueen

I would not expect roos to be at the b&f tonight. Tonight is about 2013 season and waving that goodbye. He doesnt need to sit through that crap.

If he does sign then he can start fresh and moving on to 2014

So I guess this is the last night for our assistant coaches as well. Rawlings I still rate as a good coach but I hope the other 2 have gone

I listened to Rawlings on ABC radio pregame. He stated that he is still contracted for next year and expects to still be around. Not sure of the contract situations of the other assistant coaches though.

I listened to Rawlings on ABC radio pregame. He stated that he is still contracted for next year and expects to still be around. Not sure of the contract situations of the other assistant coaches though.

Wow, that is different to what I heard...

Maybe we offered him 3 years to get him down from Brisbane.

This is normal and I hope that Roos realises that he can have 'his team' in a year's time and it won't cost us $700k+ in payouts to get 'his team' right now. Plus it gives him a year to butter up people and get who he wants.

Good question. I doubt it would matter though.

Kirk is an Albury lad so will possibly prefer a move back to the east coast.

I don't get this need for grown adults to be close to the place where they grew up. I don't reckon proximity to Albury would have any relevance to his decision to relocate to Melbourne. That Melbourne is a much more interesting city to Perth would, however, probably be more of a factor - notwithstanding the career factors which I expect would be tantamount. Just my view obviously.

• Like 3

It almost reads like a coach's open letter to supporters in hindsight.

always was. Thats how i read it
  • Like 1

In the Hearld Sun article in early August where Roos outlined his plan on how to turn Melbourne around, he considered Watts our most important player moving forward and vital for any new coach to re-sign. Under Roos Watts will not be traded unless he askes to be and the chances of that under Roos are slim. Interestingly in the article Roos also expected Melbourne to receive #1 draft pick as a Priority Pick. Irony aside Roos stated he would put this pick (Boyd) or pick 3 up for action for an elite midfielder or 2, A Graders aged between 22 -24yo.

I expect we will receive Pick 1.

http://www.thefordhamcompany.com.au/paul-roos-herald-sun-column-22/

After re-reading this article it was clearly a 100 day plan, outlined to the board and PJ.

yes I agree - this is the exact method that will be used. Rory Sloane resigned yet?

I heard Healy and Russell interview Ling the other night and he's strongly weighing up whether he goes into coaching next year, or spends one more year in the media. He didn't give much away, but I leaned to him staying in the media for one more year.

Was this the interview where he joked that he was 50/50 on taking a Melbourne assistant job?

In the Hearld Sun article in early August where Roos outlined his plan on how to turn Melbourne around, he considered Watts our most important player moving forward and vital for any new coach to re-sign. Under Roos Watts will not be traded unless he askes to be and the chances of that under Roos are slim. Interestingly in the article Roos also expected Melbourne to receive #1 draft pick as a Priority Pick. Irony aside Roos stated he would put this pick (Boyd) or pick 3 up for action for an elite midfielder or 2, A Graders aged between 22 -24yo.

I expect we will receive Pick 1.

http://www.thefordhamcompany.com.au/paul-roos-herald-sun-column-22/

After re-reading this article it was clearly a 100 day plan, outlined to the board and PJ.

Yes that was the first Roos article I read and it was love at first sight. :wub:

I agree with everything he said.

Although I don't think Watts is our most important player moving forward and I don't think he said that either.

He did say this: "Make no mistake, the Demons need to keep hold of Watts because he is incredibly talented and still could be a star".

He never said most important player going forward and in comparison he said "and, by all accounts, young Hogan is destined to be a star."

I think our 3 key backman 3 and 3 key forwards are our most important going forward + Jack Viney.

"The Demons look to have three good tall defenders in James Frawley, Colin Garland and Tom McDonald.

As we know, defence wins premierships and there are many teams who would love to start with these three players.

Equally, the forward line could consist of Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes and Jesse Hogan. Certainly, at their best, these three would trouble opposition defenders."

But if we dont have a 4 year premiership window the likes of Frawley,Garland, Clark, Dawes, Sylvia and Jones etc will be past their prime.

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

It almost reads like a coach's open letter to supporters in hindsight.

It was clearly an open letter to supporters at the time too. It simply added credence to Roos not be able to rule out coaching in the media, using phrases such as "at the moment".

• Like 1

Just wondering...How all the media know how much anyone in the AFL is getting paid??

It is always stated that Roos will get 1.5 to 2 mil a year....How do they know this....were they present when the deal was/is signed??

It is the same with the players .......Stated that so and so is getting 400,000 a year....Reportedly

It just makes me sick ....The media know stuff all about how much anyone is paid.....actually none of their business.....Or ours.....

I completely disagree. I would make all contracts public.

I say this from a salary cap perspective; if there is some transperancy with who gets paid what I think it would be more difficult to do the kind of nonsense that brought us The Tippett Saga.

• Like 1

I completely disagree. I would make all contracts public.

I say this from a salary cap perspective; if there is some transperancy with who gets paid what I think it would be more difficult to do the kind of nonsense that brought us The Tippett Saga.

I understand where you are coming from.........but I would not want my salary (when I was working) splashed all over the papers.....Players and fd's have the same rights as every day workers....Do they not?.....

Watched it closely, it would seem that Lynch will indeed be our list manager next year.

For the record, on this one I have no inside info, simply a view from Lynch's response. Admitted he had been in discussions with Roos re our list, did not deny he would be part pf the Roos team dispite being dirctly asked.

Isn't Lynch a player manager? How could he take on a job as a list manager of a club if that is the case?

I would not expect roos to be at the b&f tonight. Tonight is about 2013 season and waving that goodbye. He doesnt need to sit through that crap.

If he does sign then he can start fresh and moving on to 2014

So I guess this is the last night for our assistant coaches as well. Rawlings I still rate as a good coach but I hope the other 2 have gone

Roos could turn up wearing an MFC blazer smoking a cigar with a Victoria Secret model draped on each arm to raucus applause while the bugler blasts out a rendition of Grand Ol' Flag

• Like 3