Changes v Suns

Dannyz

I'm really surprised by the Spencer-love on here. He was thoroughly beaten in ruck and around the ground. Did show some good endeavour and also some remarkable bursts of speed, but is not quite AFL yet. However, the view I got of him was enough to move him off the 'turkeys' list.

He did alright for a young inexperienced ruckman who really should be fourth choice (Jamar, Clark, Gawn), but clearly not a No.1 ruck yet.

Kind of the story of our team at the moment.

He may do a bit better against Gold Coast than against Carlton's Warnock/Hampson pair. You'd assume he'd get another game and keep getting them until Jamar is 100% and has torn apart a VFL game.

Anyway, Toumpas, Blease and Magner were apparently the standouts for Casey, and all three might have a spot against Gold Coast given how many of our guys struggle to get their hands on the ball. Ultimately the decision must be made on efforts - we will only turn things around when everyone on the field is making a full effort and confident that their teammates are as well.

Terlich, for example, fluffed it a few times but damn he is good to see out there.

• Like 4

I was in the camp of letting Jimmy T have a month at Casey to get in a groove.

However he was named 2nd best on the weekend with 26 touches and a goal, and he should relish playing against the Gold Coast youngsters.

But I think Neeld will opt for more senior bodies since his coaching career is once again on the line and he needs another pointless win to keep his job a bit longer

I like Spence, but in no way could i say he's playing better than Jamar. Put it in persepective, Jamar averages the 3rd most hitouts in the AFL - today Warnock had 44 hitouts to Jake's 18.

Not like Spencer killed him around the ground, either. Give him another week though, if Jamar is feeling the slightest bit sore.

Now we are finally starting to get Some, depth, lets use it to continue to build a competative culture of fighting for spots. competing with one another to make the team is the highest priority.

Send Jamar thru Casey this week to send another reminder to all that everyone has to step it up.

IMO Spence showed a little & I'd like to see how he goes against the young guns, although I would like to see Fitzy up forward to give us more height to kick to.

I think we should Have 2 talls up forward to spread the opposition.

We have to win ball around the stoppages, but most important, we have to take it away... we've got an abundance of runners now to choose from, so the balance is critical.

also we need to stop a couple of their onballers.

.... Couch is getting fair numbers, but apparently is also stopping his opponent?

In: Dawes TaggertOut: Mckenzie Grimes

Taggert hasn't been in Casey's best once yet. Form is what should be rewarded, and I hope Taggert makes it, but he just doesn't warrant it.

• Like 4

He is due to miss 2 matches according to MFC injury report.

No such thing as a 2 week hamstring. It will be 3 games minimum.

IN: Dawes, Fitzpatrick, Jetta, Toumpas

OUT: Grimes (inj), Bail, McKenzie, Strauss

FB: Garland, Frawley, Terlich

HB: Howe, McDonald, Toumpas

C: Dunn, N. Jones, Evans

HF: Tapscott, Fitzpatrick, Kent

FF: Gawn, Dawes, Byrnes

FOLL: Spencer, Sylvia, Viney

INT: M. Jones, Nicholson, Trengove

SUB: Jetta

EMERG: Bail, MacDonald, McKenzie

We need a couple of key posts up forward and Dawes and Fitzpatrick provide that, especially given their VFL form. I'd bring Toumpas in and play him off half back given it's against Gold Coast, gives him a chance to get some more footy. Jetta comes straight back in also as I liked the footy he was playing before his suspension. Jamar can earn his recall through the VFL. I don't reckon Magner will get upgraded given Grimes time off will be similar to Clark's and they didn't promote him after Mitch's injury.

As for the players to be dropped, Dunny showed he can be our midfield tagger and he also provides more tricks and more run then either Bail or McKenzie which puts the acid on them. Strauss possibly unlucky but he needs to get more of the ball and given it's Gold Coast this week the temptation to play some more of the kids is simply to great and that's why I'd bring Toumpas in for him. Grimes injury explains itself. Trenners gets a chance to redeem himself but he came close after the effort against the blues.

Taggert hasn't been in Casey's best once yet. Form is what should be rewarded, and I hope Taggert makes it, but he just doesn't warrant it.

Agreed we have to stop this rushing kids in before their time.. make Em earn it the hard way...

its the "Hard Way" that will bring a HARD Culture, & pride in that culture... & with it a pride in the club & respect from the AFL.

Agreed we have to stop this rushing kids in before their time.. make Em earn it the hard way...

its the "Hard Way" that will bring a HARD Culture, & pride in that culture... & with it a pride in the club & respect from the AFL.

I agree with the sentiment but it can go the other way too. If you repeatedly pick guys who are not performing at AFL level and not picking kids on merit it can destroy the confidence.

Our biggest issue is skills and trust. They go hand in hand and it doesn't matter what age or experience a player has got if a player doesn't trust another players ability, skill or workrate it all falls over very quickly.

Agreed, and that is why I am rather surprised at how few here are suggesting Fitzpatrick get a call-up. He has done the "hard yards" at Casey and more importantly has been scoring goals... something we were sorely lacking yesterday against Carlton. Bringing both Fitz and Dawes into the side will both reward Fitz for his efforts and will take a lot of pressure off Dawes in his first game for the club... with both Fitz and Gawn up forward, Dawes would not be the only target.

Magner should be elevated and placed in the midfield asap if Grimes is going to be out for a minimum of eight weeks as expected (and hopefully he will then be the promoted rookie come mid-season - they still do that don't they?), Jetta should come directly back into the side (not as a sub - imo, that should be Nicholson, TD) - it might also be worth considering bringing Toumpas back in for this game so he can build some confidence before the Richmond game the following week...plus the fact that he could not get a better education in the game than by playing against one G. Ablett Jnr.

• Like 2

I'll assume Watts and Jamar are still unavailable:

Bail has been one of our best this year. I thought he was poor yesterday, but one of the papers claimed he did a good job tagging McLean. Even if the paper is wrong and I'm right, he still doesn't deserve to be dropped.

And unless Trengove is injured, I can't see Neeld dropping one co-captain when the other is out injured.

Finally, Tom McDonald should play. The best place for him to continue to develop is playing seniors footy. And I'm going to stick up for him and say he hasn't been playing as badly as many on this site claim.

Out: Grimes, Nicholson

In: Jetta, Dawes

• Like 3

But I think Neeld will opt for more senior bodies since his coaching career is once again on the line and he needs another pointless win to keep his job a bit longer

Thats the problem HH its a pointless win. We need to beat teams other than gws and gc.

Every game for Neeld should be a BIG game but as usual when these games come around its the same ol same ol in that Neeld needs to win to keep his job.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 19 GAMES?????????????

god help us.

Thats the problem HH its a pointless win. We need to beat teams other than gws and gc.

Every game for Neeld should be a BIG game but as usual when these games come around its the same ol same ol in that Neeld needs to win to keep his job.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER 19 GAMES?????????????

god help us.

Pointless win? I wouldn't have thought there was such a thing as a pointless win... football is partly a confidence game and the more "pointless" wins we can get, the more positive experience it is getting into our younger less experienced players - they need that winning feeling, regardless of who it is against. Of course we must start winning games against tougher opponents, that goes without saying, but to describe any win as pointless is, in my opinion, well... pointless.

Edited by hardtack

Pointless win? I wouldn't have thought there was such a thing as a pointless win... football is partly a confidence games and the more "pointless" wins we can get, the more positive experience it is getting into our younger less experienced players. Of course we must start winning games against tougher opponents, that goes without saying, but to describe any win as pointless is, in my opinion, well... pointless.

Understand what you mean HT but do you get as excited beating gws as you do when we beat (eventually) say the Hawks or Dons etc??? Pointless might not be the correct word but its become the norm that we beat these sides and get smacked by the other 16 clubs.

It aint acceptable in my book.

I'm really surprised by the Spencer-love on here. He was thoroughly beaten in ruck and around the ground. Did show some good endeavour and also some remarkable bursts of speed, but is not quite AFL yet. However, the view I got of him was enough to move him off the 'turkeys' list.

He may do a bit better against Gold Coast than against Carlton's Warnock/Hampson pair. You'd assume he'd get another game and keep getting them until Jamar is 100% and has torn apart a VFL game.

Well, that's just about it for The Donut King then?

Reckon we need to try an keep changes to a minimum to improve team stability and cohesion. Strauss and Nicho can play Half back flank with patches on wing, and need more time in ones to prove themselves...

So Grimes only out and Dawes in.

• Like 1

Understand what you mean HT but do you get as excited beating gws as you do when we beat (eventually) say the Hawks or Dons etc??? Pointless might not be the correct word but its become the norm that we beat these sides and get smacked by the other 16 clubs.

It aint acceptable in my book.

I know this will sound a bit sad, but I do get a little excited when we win those games... must be conditioning I suppose. Hate to think what my reaction will be if we do manage to beat a top tier team.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3

IN: Dawes, Fitzpatrick, Jetta, Toumpas

OUT: Grimes (inj), Bail, McKenzie, Strauss

HB: Howe, McDonald, Toumpas

C: Dunn, N. Jones, Evans

HF: Tapscott, Fitzpatrick, Kent

FF: Gawn, Dawes, Byrnes

FOLL: Spencer, Sylvia, Viney

INT: M. Jones, Nicholson, Trengove

SUB: Jetta

EMERG: Bail, MacDonald, McKenzie

We need a couple of key posts up forward and Dawes and Fitzpatrick provide that, especially given their VFL form. I'd bring Toumpas in and play him off half back given it's against Gold Coast, gives him a chance to get some more footy. Jetta comes straight back in also as I liked the footy he was playing before his suspension. Jamar can earn his recall through the VFL. I don't reckon Magner will get upgraded given Grimes time off will be similar to Clark's and they didn't promote him after Mitch's injury.

As for the players to be dropped, Dunny showed he can be our midfield tagger and he also provides more tricks and more run then either Bail or McKenzie which puts the acid on them. Strauss possibly unlucky but he needs to get more of the ball and given it's Gold Coast this week the temptation to play some more of the kids is simply to great and that's why I'd bring Toumpas in for him. Grimes injury explains itself. Trenners gets a chance to redeem himself but he came close after the effort against the blues.

I don't want Fitzpatrick leading up around the wings or back end of the Square.

I'd rather have Dawes out at Half forward, leading up thru the Mid zone & doubling back the other way linking up, & using his experience to spot up targets thru the Midz & coming back the other way hitting targets i50...

Fitz to play deep & if he's one out I'd prefer him one out than Gawn, who has also done well around 40 - 60 Mtrs out...

I'd trust Fitzy athletically, one out in an Open Paddock situation over Maxxy.... But if its congested, Fitz could leadup high half forward with Gawn deep.

So I have them this way:

HB: Strauss McDonald, Trengove

C: Howe, Sylvia, MJones

HF: Evans, Dawes, Tapscott

FF: Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Byrnes

FOLL: Spencer, NJones, Dunn

INT: Viney, Nicholson, Bail,

SUB: McKenzie

EMERG: Jetta, Kent, MacDonald, Toumpas

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6291&Code=488038530ff1b4c554654a08f0ebaafd&Sort=Rating%20Desc

Agreed, and that is why I am rather surprised at how few here are suggesting Fitzpatrick get a call-up. He has done the "hard yards" at Casey and more importantly has been scoring goals... something we were sorely lacking yesterday against Carlton. Bringing both Fitz and Dawes into the side will both reward Fitz for his efforts and will take a lot of pressure off Dawes in his first game for the club... with both Fitz and Gawn up forward, Dawes would not be the only target.

Magner should be elevated and placed in the midfield asap if Grimes is going to be out for a minimum of eight weeks as expected (and hopefully he will then be the promoted rookie come mid-season - they still do that don't they?), Jetta should come directly back into the side (not as a sub - imo, that should be Nicholson, TD) - it might also be worth considering bringing Toumpas back in for this game so he can build some confidence before the Richmond game the following week...plus the fact that he could not get a better education in the game than by playing against one G. Ablett Jnr.

I think we put out a very midsized team to try to counter Carltons speed & run abilities.. 'cause they were likely to smash us... but we lacked composure from a lack of maturity & cohesion in the team.

we butchered the ball mainly because of the perceived pressure in our heads. after we started to turn it over, the Carlton team started to attack even more. the flood gates opened.

its not good to bring so many straight in to a big game, not having played & settled into their lineups.

we need to keep the changes this week to a bare minimum, to let this team settle. just some height for balance.

I think putting Magner in for Grimes is almost a no brainer if Grimes is placed on the LTI list.

Outside of that, you would have to think Dawes is a certainty to play his first game for the MFC. I'm also sick of us persisting with guys like Bail and Nicholson, particularly when Nicholson is meant to provide a burst of speed out of the backline. Well, if he could kick it would work well, but he's just to inconsistent. We need to keep Tom McDonald in, because his pro's as a defender to me, outweigh his 2 or 3 brain fades a game. I was very disappointed with Strauss' game, as I think we really need him to get more of the ball so that he can use those superb foot skills he supposedly had. Just checking the game stats, he had a disposal efficiency of 100%, but that meant little because he only had 7 disposals.

I also agree that we need Jetta in. His toughness and disposal is a better combination to have than Nicholson's speed and not much else.

Fitzpatrick has probably earned a call-up and Dawes would appear to be a certainty. I think Spencer should stay in, and we continue to rotate Gawn into the ruck, and let Fitzpatrick just stay in the forward line.

Unfortunately I think Kent, wasn't ready for promotion, and though he kicked a reasonable goal, he probably needs a bit more time at Casey. But then again, the numbers for all of our forwards was well down given the poor delivery into the forward 50, and the fact that we only got it in there 40 times.

So I reckon we go with the following:

In's: Magner (if Grimes LTI), Dawes, Fitzpatrick, Jetta

Out's: Grimes, Nicholson, Bail, Kent

HB: Strauss McDonald, Dunn

HF: Trengove, Dawes, Tapscott

FOLL: Spencer, NJones, Magner

INT: McKenzie, Jetta, Evans

SUB: Viney (struggled last week)

EDIT: Swapped Viney to the sub vest, with McKenzie on the I/C

Edited by pm24

I think putting Magner in for Grimes is almost a no brainer if Grimes is placed on the LTI list.

Outside of that, you would have to think Dawes is a certainty to play his first game for the MFC. I'm also sick of us persisting with guys like Bail and Nicholson, particularly when Nicholson is meant to provide a burst of speed out of the backline. Well, if he could kick it would work well, but he's just to inconsistent. We need to keep Tom McDonald in, because his pro's as a defender to me, outweigh his 2 or 3 brain fades a game. I was very disappointed with Strauss' game, as I think we really need him to get more of the ball so that he can use those superb foot skills he supposedly had. Just checking the game stats, he had a disposal efficiency of 100%, but that meant little because he only had 7 disposals.

I also agree that we need Jetta in. His toughness and disposal is a better combination to have than Nicholson's speed and not much else.

Fitzpatrick has probably earned a call-up and Dawes would appear to be a certainty. I think Spencer should stay in, and we continue to rotate Gawn into the ruck, and let Fitzpatrick just stay in the forward line.

Unfortunately I think Kent, wasn't ready for promotion, and though he kicked a reasonable goal, he probably needs a bit more time at Casey. But then again, the numbers for all of our forwards was well down given the poor delivery into the forward 50, and the fact that we only got it in there 40 times.

INT: Viney, Jetta, Evans,

yep, i think this will (should) be very close (with a maybe on jetta)

INT: Viney, Jetta, Evans,

Pretty close. I'd have Jetta starting on the HBF and Strauss on the bench. McKenzie as sub is a poor choice, He's not an impact player. He won't provide anything to give us a boost if he comes on late. Save that spot for a Blease or Davey, someone who can take on opponents and kick a few late goals.