Which premiershp coach should the MFC throw a 5 year, $5 million contract at?

What

next MFC coach  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The MFC can not afford to stuff around anymore, its time to get serious before we become the next Fitzroy and are replaced with a team from Tasmania.

We need a coach thats been there and done that and who will inspire the players, and the fans.

• Like 1

Aren't there about 20 threads dedicated to this kind of thing already?

Roos - Won't coach.

Thompson - I'd say he is pretty happy where he is.

Worsfold - See above.

Williams - A possibility.

Clarkson - Won't go anywhere unless he is sacked.

The reality is we have an extremely low chance of luring a premiership coach to our club as we are a basket case and there is next to nothing available in reality.

Williams would be the easiest of the above to get, is well known for developing young talent ( exactly what we need ) and would command the respect of the players

Having said that we would need to have him signed before considering getting rid of Neeld

If we were to part ways with Neeld I would have a chat with Malcolm Blight...

I would also like a truck to reverse up in Leigh Matthews driveway, the man is a genius, commands respect and would be a coup in anyone's world

• Like 2

Roos - Won't coach.

Worsfold - See above.

The reality is we have an extremely low chance of luring a premiership coach to our club as we are a basket case and there is next to nothing available in reality.

Not necessarily my ideal choice in this hypothetical but I would say a change for JW is not beyond the realms of possibility:

• Out of contract at end of 2013
  • Negotiations "mutually" delayed until end of season
  • 1/4 start to a season with top 4 expectations
  • Longest continuous serving of any current coach

Just sayin..

We don't need to spend big money. We just need a proper committee to find the coach and we will get

a Ken Hinkley or Hardwick who understand how AFL is played and what to do to get to that level.

• Like 1

They may relish the opportunity of turning around our steady decline?

We're not going the way of Fitzroy- they had less than 6,000 home supporters to most of their games in 1995-1996, had a huge debt and were breaking the law by trading while insolvent. Whatever our problems (and they are many) let ua give Neeld a chance to see this rebuild through and not call for his head after two improved performances.

• Like 4

Dont see anything wrong with a bit of forward contingency planning in case Neeld turns out not to be a premiership coach (this year)....Roos or Whoosha would be fantastic, that would put the coach question to bed for many years to come.....

Roos - Won't coach.

Worsfold - See above.

why is Ratten not a candidate?
  • Like 1

The MFC can not afford to stuff around anymore, its time to get serious before we become the next Fitzroy and are replaced with a team from Tasmania.

We need a coach thats been there and done that and who will inspire the players, and the fans.

The MFC cant afford to stuff around anymore, its time to get serious and axe another coach, pay another coach even more money, and when that coach tries to rebuild everyone will complain about the short-term results so then we should get serious and axe another coach, pay another coach even more money, and when that coach tries to rebuild everyone will complain about the short-term results so then we should get serious and axe another coach, pay anothercoach even more money... oh wait - we have already done this twice over the past 4 years

Who would bother with this club.

The supporters are too short term orientated and the list is untalented/full of lazy players

• Like 6

What's Gary Lyon doing these days?

JOKING

Coach, or selector of coach ?

It wouldnt matter who coached us, we dont have a midfield, this is a huge issue, we have forwards our backs are ok but we just cant win enough football.

All too true - it wouldn't matter who coached this mob, at the moment

We don't need to spend big money. We just need a proper committee to find the coach and we will get

a Ken Hinkley or Hardwick who understand how AFL is played and what to do to get to that level.

Short list please

why is Ratten not a candidate?

I would snap him up as midfield coach tomorrow, but not as senior coach. Damaged goods there.

• Like 1

We won't get Paul Roos, he doesn't like our club at all..

We should look at getting someone who was is or was involved with Geelong or Sydney.

They are 2 sides with a great culture and they are sides that both stick to their game plans, they are well drilled and consistant.

Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton and Richmond all probably have more talent, but they aren't as consistant or well drilled.

Collingwood and Richmond just get the ball and hack it on their boot half the time.

They are no well coached sides and I wouldn't get anyone involved with them.

Brett Kirk should be looked at for a start.

Let me preface this by saying I think Mark Neeld is not a great coach and probably should be sacked by years end.

Having said that it's not all his fault. We are an absolute train wreck. I don't think anyone could coach this rabble.

I remember when Leon Cameron pulled out of Ports coach search 7 months ago and everyone said 'who would want that job?'.

Accepting the current situation sends a message to the players that we accept mediocrity. If they feel like they've killed another coaches career good. It might inspire them to pull the finger out.

We aren't the train wreck some think. New coach, new attitude, some believe and we can be a lot better. History is littered with our situation evolving with a new coach.

This thread should be changed to
'Which premiership PLAYERS should the MFC throw 5 year, $5 million contracts at?'

If ya ain't got the cattle, you ain't got the cattle.
Some players are good, many are woeful.
An AFL Coach Bombay couldn't help this mob and i expect another interesting trade period ahead.

display_image.jpg

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 3

I remember when Leon Cameron pulled out of Ports coach search 7 months ago and everyone said 'who would want that job?'.

Accepting the current situation sends a message to the players that we accept mediocrity. If they feel like they've killed another coaches career good. It might inspire them to pull the finger out.

We aren't the train wreck some think. New coach, new attitude, some believe and we can be a lot better. History is littered with our situation evolving with a new coach.

So what you're actually saying is that the current players are killing the coach, so lets back them up and sack him, in the hope it may inspire them to do what the sacked coach was trying to get them to do before he was sacked. Makes as much sense as thinking we could get a Roos or Clarkson, and please Matthews or Blight, both would only be doing it for the money as their time at the sharp end was over some time ago. When we have a viable, better alternative than what we have, then we need to consider pulling the trigger, but honestly we don't need to change just for change sake,if we change it needs to be to a guaranteed improvement over what we have now.

we had a chance to get sheedy 5 yrs ago & bring in a rookie to take over him after 5 yrs....again mfc stuff up!

we had a chance to chase R Lyon.... again asleep at the wheel!

Look @ the exodus of senior players & so many early picks that have left ....

Who knows what the asnwer is & would any decent coach willing to take on this basket case?

So what you're actually saying is that the current players are killing the coach, so lets back them up and sack him, in the hope it may inspire them to do what the sacked coach was trying to get them to do before he was sacked. Makes as much sense as thinking we could get a Roos or Clarkson, and please Matthews or Blight, both would only be doing it for the money as their time at the sharp end was over some time ago. When we have a viable, better alternative than what we have, then we need to consider pulling the trigger, but honestly we don't need to change just for change sake,if we change it needs to be to a guaranteed improvement over what we have now.

No, that's not what I said, that's how you interpreted what I said. Those are not the same thing.

The players and coach are killing the club. That's what is truly important. It's obvious Neeld wants to instruct rather than get the best from what's available and then build from there. It's not working and the club can't afford more sitting on its hands.

To use your own language 'a viable, better alternative' would statistically be almost any living full time AFL coach. I think even Bailey currently has a better win/loss ratio than Neeld and he was pre expansion teams for 80% of his career.

Neeld should go at least 6 weeks before the end of the year so we can really go hard for a name and instill some believe back into our club again. A new coach won't work? Brenton Sanderson and Ken Hinkley say hi.

h_h,,,, rr rr rr.........