Too early to say we stuffed up (again) in not picking Wines?

P-man

Ollie Wines is the best first year player since Selwood, no doubt.

Wines is arguably better as he is doing it in a poor side.

The kid is something else.

Ollie Wines dominated the championships last year, would've thought the writing was on the wall then.

He will romp the rising star in, he is already an elite midfielder, to see him in action today was something else.

I have not seen a better first year player.

I don't know. Arguably we had plenty of in and under types with Jones, Mckenzie, Magner and the drafting of Viney. And we all know how much we were all calling out for more pace and spread last year. You need a bit of Steven Stretch to go with your Todd Viney, in other words. That's the kind of player Toumpas promises to become, so that's why we drafted him. And no pacey wingman type is going to look good in a team getting mauled every week. Surely the attacking running types only shine when teams are competitive or winning.

I wish they weren't playing Toumpas. At a power club he'd be nowhere near getting a game and would be having a good apprenticeship via the VFL. But I'm going to be patient with this one. I remember when we drafted two supposed 'Bull at the gate' mids in Sylvia and Mclean. It arguably ushered in years of a midfield of substandard speed and class. This year is nothing. Let's not second guess Jimmy Toumpas before he has had a chance to play his natural game with us.

For the masochists out there, would it also please you to know that we selected Barry as our GWS pre-listed player over Jed Anderson? Surely it won't be too long before we have a thread on that for a collective group whinge...

hey thickshakes, how good do you reckon wines would be looking if his side was 320 points down for the season instead of undefeated in second place

a 5 year old would understand this point

This exactly.

Worst start of any club since 1985 and people think it'll be different if we picked Wines over Toumpas.

hey thickshakes, how good do you reckon wines would be looking if his side was 320 points down for the season instead of undefeated in second place

a 5 year old would understand this point

Hey McFlurry, how good has Viney looked in a side 320 points down for the season instead of undefeated in second place?

What's done is done. Toumpas is our guy now and we get behind him. Yes Wines is a great package including leadership and players that can win their own ball are probably a better option for clubs in our position right now, but if we can just avoid ruining him Toumpas will be great player for us in the future, once we can get the ball out to him and are able to use him in the right way

• Like 3

Too early to call. Andrew Walker had an amazing debut & first couple of games for Carlton while Adam Cooney was fumbling all over the shop. 5 years later Cooney was a Brownlow medalist & Walker an underwhelming flanker.

I can't help but feel if Toumpas was playing for Port behind a midfield of Ebert, Cornes, Hartlett, Boak and Wines was playing at Melbourne behind N Jones & Viney we wouldn't be saying "why did we pick up another slow bulldozer with shonky footskills when we could have had a classy line breaking midfielder? FMD."

Wingard (pick 4 2011) looked pretty damn average in his first year last year. Now i've seen him twice this year, he has really come on. IIRC he was also drafted straight out of the SANFL.

Wines was always going to impact straight away. Everyone needs to stop blowing their loads early and give Jimmy T a couple of years.

Thats the problem, every player they pick needs a couple of years, there a running joke.

I don't know what people are upset about. How many on here were making this call prior to round 1?

We desperately needed new talent and drafted Hogan, Viney and Toumpas. What more do you want from one draft ?

People say why did we select Hogan when we have no midfield and now why select Toumpas because Wines has started well. Well I'm rapt we have a young key forward who was BOG on the weekend for Casey.We can conceivably buy in a top midfielder end of year, but you can't build rome in a day. I m also rapt to get someone who is quick with elite skills. THAT is what we desperately lack. Our UNCONTESTED possesion rate is our number 1 weakness, and its why we are getting smashed.

We have to draft for the future and they make total sense to me. We do have some more bulldozer types like Magner, McKenzie not playing so I could easily see looking at our side last year, we needed a classy outside type.

We desperately need elite line breakers like Toumpas, and we got him. Let him develop, and I don't care if plays VFL all year. it works for the Cats who have developed youngster really well, and they weren't elite juniors.

Everyone take a breath.

This thread is an embarrassing joke.

How many other clubs' supporters decide drafting was wrong after three games? THREE.

All those who agree with the OP should go read Axis of Bob's post. It well explains exactly why this decision was made, and highlights the logical reasoning missing from all those who bleat that we made a mistake.

• Like 5

This thread is an embarrassing joke.

How many other clubs' supporters decide drafting was wrong after three games? THREE.

All those who agree with the OP should go read Axis of Bob's post. It well explains exactly why this decision was made, and highlights the logical reasoning missing from all those who bleat that we made a mistake.

Big, tough words as usual, titan.

I never asserted that we made a mistake. The jury will officially be out for some time, and the OP may be a bit too strongly worded given it was written whilst i was watching him tear Adelaide a new one.

That said, the impressiveness of Wines' start to his career, and I can't recall another one quite like it, combined with where we are at currently as opposed to where we expected to be at, lends itself to a discussion on the subject, which then goes onto where our focus should be in the next draft etc.

If you find it embarrassing, don't participate in it.

Melbourne is pathetic

Nice stranga, wonderfully thought out

I never asserted that we made a mistake. The jury will officially be out for some time, and the OP may be a bit too strongly worded given it was written whilst i was watching him tear Adelaide a new one.

That said, the impressiveness of Wines' start to his career, and I can't recall another one quite like it, combined with where we are at currently as opposed to where we expected to be at, lends itself to a discussion on the subject, which then goes onto where our focus should be in the next draft etc.

Dustin Martin, who is still very erratic, turned in one of his good games at the weekend, had this start

Toby Green, who is now finding exactly what being a second year player who is tagged feels like

Daniel Rich......now starting to get back to where he was......maybe

The game is littered with players who flare and then fade

I wanted us to get Wines as well, but we got Jimmy Toumpas and I know why, let's see how both are going at the end of next season

Is it too early to ask posters on this board sounding like a broken record

I didn't say you said we made a mistake.

Your post was to call into question our pick of Toumpas over Wines. It's MFCSS at its best, seeing one player play well and wishing we had that player instead of the one we took simply because he's playing well three games in and the other one isn't.

Entitling your thread 'too early to stay we stuffed up again in not picking Wines' is not just discussion on the subject, it's inviting criticism of the decision to take Toumpas after merely three games. It's unfair and ridiculous.

• Like 1

I too would have loved Wines, but also think Toumpas will be a star of the future.

We could have got Wines and Toumpas and not got Hogan and Barry if we wanted too.

I think long term we made the right decision.

At the next dratt we will again pick up the best , young midfielder on offer, and hopefully a couple more established mids.

I know we all hate to wait as we are in so much pain, but with Hogan and a few more quality mids next year will see some results our way. Toumpas and Barry will also be a year older and have spent more time in the Gym, so we will start to see the midfield we crave.

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's a reasonable reaction C&B....lol wow.

titan - I understand that has been read into it, perhaps justifiably so. It wasnt my intention. It was little more than "wow, this kid's an absolute jet, did we miss a big opportunity?", and it's turned into "disgrace and embarrassment" "lock and delete!"

Delete it if you like. I couldn't care less.

Yeah, that's a reasonable reaction C&B....lol wow.

titan - I understand that has been read into it, perhaps justifiably so. It wasnt my intention. It was little more than "wow, this kid's an absolute jet, did we miss a big opportunity?", and it's turned into "disgrace and embarrassment" "lock and delete!"

Delete it if you like. I couldn't care less.

We've had a ridiculously poor, largely unexpected shock to the season. Everyone is really emotional. Let's not over-react and lower ourselves, because threads like this are a very bad look for the club.

I too would have loved Wines, but also think Toumpas will be a star of the future.

We could have got Wines and Toumpas and not got Hogan and Barry if we wanted too.

I think long term we made the right decision.

At the next dratt we will again pick up the best , young midfielder on offer, and hopefully a couple more established mids.

I know we all hate to wait as we are in so much pain, but with Hogan and a few more quality mids next year will see some results our way. Toumpas and Barry will also be a year older and have spent more time in the Gym, so we will start to see the midfield we crave.

The best player in the next draft is a key forward. do we pick him?