James Frawley

dazzledavey36

no it says more about unrealistic expectations. Either:

He's not in the leadership group because he doesnt exhibit leadership.......in which case why expect him to hang around the club and re-sign to provide leadership

or

He's been hard done by .....in which case why expect him to hang around the club and re-sign to provide leadership

Yeah. Poor Col has been hard done by. 10th year (yawn) and he'll come good soon. Just you wait until he gets a proper pre-season into him (yawn)

I have some jousting sticks for $400 if you want them??

• Like 2

Naive to think that Geelong would trade Duncan or Christensen. The kids are guns, future stars

You think I think they would? No way, but if Frawley were to go given he is not yet a free agent then it is this calibre of player that we should ask for as a trade. We don't just roll over and give him away for nothing or a draft pick, key backs are a very valuable commodity and his experience in valuable to us. Better he stays.

Yeah. Poor Col has been hard done by. 10th year (yawn) and he'll come good soon. Just you wait until he gets a proper pre-season into him (yawn)

I have some jousting sticks for $400 if you want them??

.....its pretty simple.....so read this slowly (it's ok if you move your lips a bit if that helps).....

This post wasn't about CS having his "breakout season" we've all waited long enough for that..... this is about an expectation that he would re-sign early so that he could provide leadership.

He isnt on the 9 man leadership panel after 10 years (and almost one in five of our list is on it)

SO

he either can't or won't lead

OR

He's been shafted.

Either way he's not going to sign early to provide leadership

Its the vibe of the thing

Get it?

Edited by Retrospective

Anyone hear the mention of Frawley on FoxFooty after the Sydney/Saints game? Sounded like they mentioned a trade rumour "despite being contracted to the end of 2014". Wouldn't surprise but would be absolutely [censored] off if we lose him. We're forced to pay 95% of the cap yet are losing all our senior players? Tapscott and Jetta will be on $400k each next year if this keeps up.

• Like 1

If Frawley goes it will be a disaster for us. While I can understand the crud he has had to play through I dont want to lose him.

As for Colin Sylvia I would not rush to have him resigned at this point. And a leader he most certainly isnt.

• Like 5

If Frawley really wants out, which seems like that is the case, better he goes this year and we can get something in return, better than him walking at the end of next year

If Frawley really wants out, which seems like that is the case, better he goes this year and we can get something in return, better than him walking at the end of next year

It would be an indictment on the club if we are unable to retain Frawley. He's contracted for another year, back ourselves in to prove to him that he should stay over the next 2 seasons rather than just resign ourselves that he is gone.

• Like 2

It would be an indictment on the club if we are unable to retain Frawley. He's contracted for another year, back ourselves in to prove to him that he should stay over the next 2 seasons rather than just resign ourselves that he is gone.

I suppose alot of that will depend on his performance for the rest of the year, if he looks disinterested at the end of the year it might be time to ask some hard questions of a few of the guys.

If Frawley goes it will be a disaster for us. While I can understand the crud he has had to play through I dont want to lose him.

As for Colin Sylvia I would not rush to have him resigned at this point. And a leader he most certainly isnt.

Agree with every word here. Frawley, whilst well down on his best this year, is still our best defender by a fair margin.

As for Sylvia, sure he's great when on, but that is very rare. If he goes at the end of the year, a large percentage of our salary cap will be free (even more so with the retirement of Davey).

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 3

Agree with every word here. Frawley, whilst well down on his best this year, is still our best defender by a fair margin.

As for Sylvia, sure he's great when on, but that is very rare. If he goes at the end of the year, a large percentage of our salary cap will be free (even more so with the retirement of Davey).

Might be able to dish out some nice numbers to a few possible free agents at the end of the year and ideally to sign Frawley on a good long contract

I've been waiting for this. It's actually my biggest MFC footy fear at the moment. We must retain him. He's the only genuine A grade defender I've seen at Melbourne in 25 years. Offer him a four year deal, a five year deal if it'll get him over the line.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 3

If James Frawley thinks that his effort this year has been anything other than unacceptable, I don't actually want him to stay. He needs to pull his finger out now. He is setting a horrible example for the younger guys.

• Like 1

If James Frawley thinks that his effort this year has been anything other than unacceptable, I don't actually want him to stay. He needs to pull his finger out now. He is setting a horrible example for the younger guys.

Shows how hardly we mark him.

He absolutely smashed Jeremy Cameron on the weekend and the first 3 weeks had to try and combat an avalanche of footy coming inside the opponents 50 cos our midfield was inept as usual.

• Like 2

Shows how hardly we mark him.

He absolutely smashed Jeremy Cameron on the weekend and the first 3 weeks had to try and combat an avalanche of footy coming inside the opponents 50 cos our midfield was inept as usual.

Exact same thoughts. Cameron was their go too forward last Sunday and he didn't get near it. The lack of pressure on teh ball carries this season has enabled opposition midfielders the ability to hit targets better. Thus reducing the ability of our defenders to spoil adn/or beat their opponents. Plus in regards to a trade deal already agreed to, if he wanted out adn the club knew why would he be in the leadership group - that doesn't make sense? You would think all of those in the leadership grou will at least be working towards long term goals for the club as well.

Edited by Crackers

We talk about important pieces of the MFC puzzle. Long term, he's essentially the top piece for me. Yes, we need an A grade midfield, but I still consider him the premier defender in the league. Put a decent midfield in front him and he'll be a devastating prospect. He's a Dustin Fletcher with line-breaking ability.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Harsh in the extreme. Playing in the back line in a side being routinely flogged through the midfield

What worries me is his attitude.

Twice in the Bombers game he stood on the mark as a shot for goal was taken and he did absolutely nothing and I mean nothing, to put off the player kicking for goal. He did not even lift his arms and barely looked at the player. Later in the game when about 130 points up a Bombers defender was jumping all over the place trying to save a goal from our kick.

That is attitude.

• Like 1

I'm talking solely about effort. He has played well at times this year but his effort hasn't been 100%

That's crap...........It sometimes astounds me that supporters can tell how players are about effort when the ball is put on their opponents chest time and time again....through lack of pressure in the midfield.......We are so quick to judge......

What worries me is his attitude.

Twice in the Bombers game he stood on the mark as a shot for goal was taken and he did absolutely nothing and I mean nothing, to put off the player kicking for goal. He did not even lift his arms and barely looked at the player. Later in the game when about 130 points up a Bombers defender was jumping all over the place trying to save a goal from our kick.

That is attitude.

Last year it seemed every player when on the mark, jumped around as if they had ants in their pants, Col Garland almost did star jumps every time. See it early on in games now and then from a few, then it soon disappears.

We talk about important pieces of the MFC puzzle. Long term, he's essentially the top piece for me. Yes, we need an A grade midfield, but I still consider him the premiere defender in the league. Put a decent midfield in front him and he'll be a devastating prospect. He's a Dustin Fletcher with line-breaking ability.

Correct - he is our lynchpin.

• Like 1

That's crap...........It sometimes astounds me that supporters can tell how players are about effort when the ball is put on their opponents chest time and time again....through lack of pressure in the midfield.......We are so quick to judge......

Just because the ball is coming in to our defence a lot doesn't mean he gets a chop out. If you think he hasn't let himself down this year at times, you're delusional. Don't accept mediocrity. No wonder our players don't develop after their first couple of years.