SYLVIA EXPERIMENT

Demon_Chef

im new to this forum and i will probably get shot down by some members of the keyboard army, but fcuk it,here we go..

i want Mark Neeld to stick Colin Sylvia on the half back flank this weekend v West Coast.

Woosha will play Hurn on Col if he is in the forward line and after a quiet game by Shannon last week, he is gonna tear Colin a new asswhole.

i say put Col on the half back flank and make him accountable, but give him the freedom to run from behind the ball and use his disposal as a focal point (aka EMULATE Shannon Hurn)

in return id drop Gillies and put Rodan to use his experience on Hurn in a run with..

thats my thought..

• Like 7

Demon-Chef, I had exactly the same thought on the way to work this morning!

We've tried him literally everywhere else. He's a great kick, hard at the footy and has all the athletic attributes to be a great half back. Perhaps playing in the back line, where he can follow someone else around and let the play come to him might be exactly what he needs to rejuvinate his career? From my shoddy career, I always found back flank the easiest and most enjoyable position to play. Yes you have to be accountable, but there's plenty of opportunities to get your hands on the footy without someone breathing down you neck the whole time.

There were people who would have laughed when the Rev moved Yze to half back, but that worked out ok. Defnitely worth a shot in my opinion.

FB GARLAND FRAWLEY TERLICH

HB SYLVIA MCDONALD GRIMES

C WATTS VINEY BLEASE

HF JETTA HOWE RODAN

F DAVEY CLARK JAMAR

R SPENCER/GAWN N JONES M JONES

INT KENT TRENGOVE BAIL

SUB BYRNES

IN KENT BAIL SPENCER/GAWN JETTA

OUT NICHOLSON SELLAR GILLIES TOUMPAS (confidence boosting run in the magoos for a few weeks for jimmy)

• Like 1

I see Sylvia's career fizzing down to nothing more than a few flaming embers that Neeld would [censored] on to put out at seasons end..

why not give him the responsibility and say "Colin.. last chance mate.. turn yourself into a Hurn, Yarran, Scotland running back flanker or your out mate.."

he just needs to get involved somehow.

Edited by Demon_Chef

im new to this forum and i will probably get shot down by some members of the keyboard army, but fcuk it,here we go..

i want Mark Neeld to stick Colin Sylvia on the half back flank this weekend v West Coast.

Woosha will play Hurn on Col if he is in the forward line and after a quiet game by Shannon last week, he is gonna tear Colin a new asswhole.

i say put Col on the half back flank and make him accountable, but give him the freedom to run from behind the ball and use his disposal as a focal point (aka EMULATE Shannon Hurn)

in return id drop Gillies and put Rodan to use his experience on Hurn in a run with..

thats my thought..

Not a bad thought

Reckon we should try it out at Casey for a month first

• Like 1

Great idea. Probably hasn't been thought of very commonly because everyone has seen Paul chapman potential in him. He could look at Brent Reilly, from Adelaide, as a example of a player who underachieved as a forward/mid before being moved back. Reilly was almost on the scrap heap 2 years ago and from memory was in the 40 man all Australian squad last season.

Col could probably have a crack at kicking out too??

How anyone can blame any of our forwards for the last two weeks is beyond me. And a guy who spent ten minutes of the last quarter in the middle when the team was down by 120 points already has still played forward.

Whilst the idea put forward in the OP is quite interesting the reality is as far as the Col Sylvia experimentgoes it is well and truly over never really having made it much further than the ideas lab !!

If I could sack him now I would , he just sucks air , money and expectations from this club without return.

Let him remain up front...let someone tear him a new one... i could care less

Edited by belzebub59

guys at first i thought he was maligned too much and due to injury was unable to perform, but i agree with some comments above, the experiment is over, he is either an established player in a position or he isnt much chop at the MFC. Just a side note, i dont know if any of you guys went to Luna Park family day a few months ago, my wife (who n=knows nothing about fudball which is why she barracks for freo) said and pointed to C Sylvia 'who is that guys over there is he a player- appears very arrogant' let me just say this wthout claiming to be a good judge (but a reasonable judge of character) Sylvia is full of himself, had no players talking to him,wasnt even smiling and trying not too talk to supporters then when he was walking up on stage did not for one second acknowledge the crowd high 5 kids, and so forth, if the arrogance is going to transfer into quality performances then I dont mind (a la akermanis) but if he is in that side to also back the young kids in, then he aint value to us im not re-reading this as its coming straight from the heart, but ive seen, and spoken to many players in my time, and unless he starts doing his talking on the field then trade him (wouldnt mid season trades be a wunderful thing!!)

Why don't we just play Sylvia on the ball where he is at his best?

Because largely he's not even close to a proper AFL midfielder. I've never seen him win clearances or rack up tackle numbers and when I think Colin Sylvia I've never thought of a guy pushing back to help the half back flankers or working his butt off to get to the wing.

I think Bailey gave him a few games on a HBF back in 08 or 09 and he wasn't too bad.

I'd do it again.

Our midfield is barely salvagable for the whole season but our backline has some tools in place if we give it Sylvia we could at least stop the rampage of other teams and use the ball out of the backline well enough to maintain possession. Neeld could get off his high horse defensive style which isn't working at all and adopt a Hawthorn like plan to slow down ball movement and take care of the ball. At least that way some guys would get practice in using the footy.

• Like 1

don't mind it but i'm not so sure about rodan he is way too unaccountable for a tagging role. in the port game i was sitting on the wing, jonesy was screaming at him to get a man an he just stood there.

don't mind it but i'm not so sure about rodan he is way too unaccountable for a tagging role. in the port game i was sitting on the wing, jonesy was screaming at him to get a man an he just stood there.

thats my thought..

Edited by timmyo64

guys at first i thought he was maligned too much and due to injury was unable to perform, but i agree with some comments above, the experiment is over, he is either an established player in a position or he isnt much chop at the MFC. Just a side note, i dont know if any of you guys went to Luna Park family day a few months ago, my wife (who n=knows nothing about fudball which is why she barracks for freo) said and pointed to C Sylvia 'who is that guys over there is he a player- appears very arrogant' let me just say this wthout claiming to be a good judge (but a reasonable judge of character) Sylvia is full of himself, had no players talking to him,wasnt even smiling and trying not too talk to supporters then when he was walking up on stage did not for one second acknowledge the crowd high 5 kids, and so forth, if the arrogance is going to transfer into quality performances then I dont mind (a la akermanis) but if he is in that side to also back the young kids in, then he aint value to us im not re-reading this as its coming straight from the heart, but ive seen, and spoken to many players in my time, and unless he starts doing his talking on the field then trade him (wouldnt mid season trades be a wunderful thing!!)

I've also noticed that Col is almost universally in any photo the club posts of sick kids in hospitals etc. Think it is a bit rough to label him as someone who doesn't care about people.

Go nuts about his compete lack of care on the field, but he doesn't seem to be a bad bloke off it.

FB GARLAND FRAWLEY TERLICH

HB SYLVIA MCDONALD GRIMES

C WATTS VINEY BLEASE

HF JETTA HOWE RODAN

F DAVEY CLARK JAMAR

R SPENCER/GAWN N JONES M JONES

INT KENT TRENGOVE BAIL

SUB BYRNES

IN KENT BAIL SPENCER/GAWN JETTA

OUT NICHOLSON SELLAR GILLIES TOUMPAS (confidence boosting run in the magoos for a few weeks for jimmy)

Looks alright but Jamar needs a confidence-boosting run in the Magoos for a few months.

Gawn or Spencer for Jamar and change them in a forward pocket.

Edited by CHAMP

I dont want anyone on the park who canteen or wont play to their abilities 100% of the time.

Sylvia never has...never will. He is not the style of Melbourne 's future. Time to let someone who will be get experience . A much better Experiment for mine.